Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The "new iPhone" - Who's getting one?

View Poll Results: Are you getting a "new iPhone"?
Poll Options:
Yes 24 votes (70.59%)
No 4 votes (11.76%)
Undecided 6 votes (17.65%)
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll
The "new iPhone" - Who's getting one? (Page 3)
Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 19, 2012, 07:31 AM

I'm betting these buds take 15 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds to fall out of my ears. Hooray.

andi*pandi
Sep 19, 2012, 07:44 AM

perhaps they are less painful though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 07:52 AM

No chance I'm putting those things in my ears.

I'll have to wait until February, when my contract is up, to pick up an iPhone 5, but I'll certainly be getting one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 08:25 AM

I wonder if that's just a piece of white cardboard inside that plastic container for the earbuds.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 03:51 PM

SWIM got an iP5 (2 of them, actually); white, 64GB, Verizon. SWIM likes it and believes it's a decent improvement over the 4S, but thinks the GSIII hardware is more impressive, overall. Both have very similar performance, but that gorgeous 4.8" AMOLED display on the GSIII is very tough to beat. If you prefer the iOS ecosystem, and have an iP4 or older, the 5 is a must buy, SWIM says. If you have the 4S, it's probably worth the upgrade if you're a tech junkie, otherwise, "eh".

and he said the new iBuds suck, very shocking, but that's what SWIM's Clear Tune CTM-200s are for. (Best value in IEMs, period. Jaw-dropping sound for the price.)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
SWIM got an iP5 (2 of them, actually); white, 64GB, Verizon. SWIM likes it and believes it's a decent improvement over the 4S, but thinks the GSIII hardware is more impressive, overall. Both have very similar performance, but that gorgeous 4.8" AMOLED display on the GSIII is very tough to beat. If you prefer the iOS ecosystem, and have an iP4 or older, the 5 is a must buy, SWIM says. If you have the 4S, it's probably worth the upgrade if you're a tech junkie, otherwise, "eh".
and he said the new iBuds suck, very shocking, but that's what SWIM's Clear Tune CTM-200s are for. (Best value in IEMs, period. Jaw-dropping sound for the price.)
I'm not wedded to either ecosystem, since I'm not a big app buyer. I've been itchin' to buy a flagship Android phone though, but haven't because I find all those 4.7"/4.8" phones kinda awkward to use. They're essentially all two-handed phones. I'd buy a new Q4 2012 4.3" Nexus in a heartbeat though, so I'm going to wait to see what (if anything) gets released before Xmas on the Android side.

I also don't like the Samsung skin with their custom launcher. That's why I said Nexus. I prefer the stock plain-Jane Android by a long shot.

BTW, part of my ambivalence about the iPhone 5 is iOS 6. This is the first iOS upgrade I haven't been very impressed with. The other bias is the fact that I have to break my current contract to buy, so it doesn't hurt to wait a few months as the penalty will be lower. I can make an informed decision in November of what to buy, once most of the new releases are actually available.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2012, 05:14 AM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2012, 11:35 AM

Well I did a ballsy move this morning. I cancelled my online order that wasn't going to arrive until Oct 5th, promptly called AT&T and got my 2 year upgrade back and waited in line at an Apple store.

Only took 2 hours. Went to Apple store at 9:45 and was walking out before noon with the exact phone I had ordered online. Smoothest iPhone purchase yet.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 01:13 PM

Posting this from the new phone.

As the reviews say, it's light. It feels hollow at first since your hand expects the weight of a 4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 01:18 PM

802.11n seems to work.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 03:43 PM

Battery is better than the 4S.

The 4S lost about 10% per hour with my usage pattern. The 5 is about 7% per hour so far.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but...
I've never ordered a cell phone online before. I'm going to assume that transferring my account and phone number over the new phone is an incredibly easy process and that Apple/iTunes walks me through it step by step... yes?
I tried to find an answer online and it was hard to find a clear cut explanation of how exactly the process works.
So easy it's almost silly. You do it all from the phone and it takes about 10 seconds.

This thing feels so small to me. I'm used to using a 3GS in a case and it feels like a tank compared to the 5.

My LTE speeds are officially faster than my wifi speeds now as well. I'm getting 15 down and 3 up in St Louis on AT&T.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2012, 03:55 AM

Picked up my Black 32, at&t 5 yesterday A.M. Maps needs work. Otherwise it's amazing IMO. I upgraded from a 4. I skipped the 4S.
Too be honest it's taking time to become comfortable with how light it is. It feels as light as a toy phone. I have at&t LTE where I live and work, so I'm lucky.
The speed takes a bit to get used to, for me anyway. It is soooo fast you miss things change at times.

Anyway, lot's to get used to. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. IMO, however, the design and execution is perfect. It feels so good in your hand. Even with a case.
I have a Speck Pixel HD Black for iPhone 5.

Great job Apple.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Picked up my Black 32, at&t 5 yesterday A.M. Maps needs work. Otherwise it's amazing IMO. I upgraded from a 4. I skipped the 4S.
Too be honest it's taking time to become comfortable with how light it is. It feels as light as a toy phone. I have at&t LTE where I live and work, so I'm lucky.
The speed takes a bit to get used to, for me anyway. It is soooo fast you miss things change at times.
Anyway, lot's to get used to. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. IMO, however, the design and execution is perfect. It feels so good in your hand. Even with a case.
I have a Speck Pixel HD Black for iPhone 5.
Great job Apple.
I agree. I'm coming back to the iPhone after having used Android phones for the past couple years. I LOVE this iPhone 5. I really can't believe how light and thin it is (and I'm coming from a Droid RAZR). I can hardly feel it in my front pocket.

Haven't really had a need to use Maps yet, but everything I have used has been perfect. VERY happy with my decision to come back to the Apple ecosystem!

Fedex lady who delivered mine from Verizon said she had 72 on her truck.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I agree. I'm coming back to the iPhone after having used Android phones for the past couple years. I LOVE this iPhone 5. I really can't believe how light and thin it is (and I'm coming from a Droid RAZR). I can hardly feel it in my front pocket.
Yeah, the Android phone manufacturers have to realize that size matters... which means that bigger isn't always better. I find the current crop of flagship 4.65"+ phones very awkward to use. I will wait to see what comes out by November, but if there is no decent 4.3" or less flagship Android phone out there, I'm getting an iPhone 5.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
802.11n seems to work.
Even better, my friends are getting 1/3rd of that download speed on LTE, and much higher upload speeds.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2012, 04:28 PM

My one test of AT&T's sad, sad network was about 5 down and 3 up.

Pathetic.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2012, 04:57 PM

IT IS LIKE I AM CONSTANTLY AT MCDONALD'S BECAUSE I'M LOVIN' IT

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2012, 05:40 PM

Wandered into the Apple store today to have a look at the iPhone5.

The thing that blew me away was the weight. It really felt light, almost abnormally (maybe the appearance of a bigger phone, which is lighter heightened the effect). As insane as this might sound, i think i would have preferred it were it heavier.

The design looked alright, although i'm not sure i like the two-tone backs......dare i say, it look very un-Apple. The chamfered edges were great. and give off a really nice effect.

My biggest gripe with it is the size. I want a smaller phone(than my 3GS) dag-nam-it.

I'd like to get one, but the size is a bit of a deal breaker for me, I might end up with a 4S eventually.

Cheers

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2012, 05:39 AM

My one test of AT&T's sad, sad network was about 5 down and 3 up.
Pathetic.
My test of AT&Ts network...

5728/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2012, 05:38 AM

God dammit please leave our forum.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
My test of AT&Ts network...
5728/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Where are you located?

In Chicago, my best so far has been 8/10.

Don't get me wrong, that's a massive improvement over 3G, but I'm obviously not getting 50.

What would be nice is getting something faster than 0 in the subway.

**** you AT&T. Die in a ****ing fire.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 AM

On a happier note, I'd say the camera's low-light utility has noticeably improved.

Shots of my dog in the light of the lamps in my apartment used to be grainy mud. They're now properly exposed, and not particularly grainy.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2012, 06:22 AM

Where are you located?
In Chicago, my best so far has been 8/10.
Don't get me wrong, that's a massive improvement over 3G, but I'm obviously not getting 50.
What would be nice is getting something faster than 0 in the subway.
**** you AT&T. Die in a ****ing fire.
Atlanta

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2012, 11:35 PM

Well, AT&T clearly likes the weather there or something because I can't get past about 8/10.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2012, 11:39 PM

Today, or rather yesterday, mine broke. The screen just went all wonky with freaky rainbow colors, and then died. Guess that means a trip to the Apple store is in order. Ehh...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2012, 06:14 AM

So we just switched over to an AT&T Mobile Share plan (which was a giant cluster****, AT&T sucks at everything) and we're supposed to be able to facetime over cellular now, but it almost never works.

You click on the facetime button, and it just waits and waits and waits, and the person on the other end never gets a request. I know it's not an issue with them not allowing it because we were able to get it to work 1 time out of about 20 attempts (plus it used to give a nasty message and we can also setup hotspots now.)

I think what is going on is that it's losing network connectivity. We'll be on LTE, get a phone call, fall off LTE because on AT&T you drop down to 3G when on the phone, and then you hit facetime, and you're still on 3G, and/or your phone hasn't made a connection yet, and then it's stuck in some sort of limbo between cell networks.

It really sucks, because I actually really wanted the ability to do this and was actually going to be using it.

I'm hoping this clears up somehow, or I find a solution... but I'm pretty annoyed. It's supposed to just work, and if it only works 1 time out of 10, I'll just never even try and it's 100% useless.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2012, 06:21 AM

25 down, 28 up here in Toronto. Not as fast as some others are reporting, but plenty.

I never browsed anything on my old iPhone because G3 was just too damn slow. Now pages just jump onto the screen. Amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules