Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > F-ing retarded

F-ing retarded
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:07 PM

Really?

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Palin wants Rahm Emanuel fired � - Blogs from CNN.com

He should be fired for saying "f-ing retarded". Really? No wait, really? And "retarded" is comparable to the so-called "n word"? I suppose a politician who calls something "gay" (used in a derogatory way) should be fired too?

This woman is nuts. I love it how the house is on fire when the "gotcha" media goes after her, yet she should have a free pass at going after people for the silliest of things.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 08:13 PM

Damn, that's retarded.

Sarah Palin is a retard.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:14 PM

Much like I don't tell black people their business when they tell me certain slurs are horribly offensive, I'm not going to tell Palin hers when she says "retard" is offensive. They're the experts on how it feels.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Much like I don't tell black people their business when they tell me certain slurs are horribly offensive, I'm not going to tell Palin hers when she says "retard" is offensive. They're the experts on how it feels.
Agreed, but as a politician you can't call on people to be fired just because they offend you using a common phrase that is not uncommon in society.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 08:18 PM

Except the word retarded wasn't directed at her child.

Should someone be fired for using the word "retarded"?

No, that would be f'ing retarded.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:21 PM

What is also retarded is her tactics. Doesn't she have enough political problems as it is what with her political retirement, the whole Levi thing, et. all? Why not pick your battles a little bit wiser?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:22 PM

I think you folks missed my joke. I guess it wasn't explicit enough.
Chuck
___

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 08:28 PM

Actually 'retarded' is probably the best description of the state the health care bill is in.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:29 PM

I think you folks missed my joke. I guess it wasn't explicit enough.
Sorry!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 09:24 PM

Years ago, Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was overheard saying "retarded" in a private conversation. After some public shaming, he apologized.

Saying "retarded" on tv only came back into fashion a few years ago. South Park probably started it. Now it's heard on late night shows all the time.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Years ago, Prime Minister Brian Mulroney was overheard saying "retarded" in a private conversation. After some public shaming, he apologized.

Saying "retarded" on tv only came back into fashion a few years ago. South Park probably started it. Now it's heard on late night shows all the time.
A few years? I've been hearing it for much longer than that... I don't watch TV very much so I don't know how common it is there, but it definitely has been part of our common vernacular for a long time.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 09:38 PM

The first thing I thought of was Obama's "special olympic" comment. Real sensitive group of people there.

Fire him? Um…no. Not for that. Fire him because he is a corrupt thug.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 09:46 PM

Why do we tolerate this sort of theater?

We all know that politicians swear and say naughty things just like any other normal person behind closed doors. We know they have high stress jobs. Why do we jump down throats when somebody says something naughty and act all indignant about these naughty words? Why are we so gullible that we believe that some politician was offended by something like this? Thick skin is an absolutely requirement for a job that can result in economic turmoil, lives profoundly affected - it's clearly a very high stakes sort of job that politicians do, why do people actually believe that a politician like Palin is really losing sleep over the use of the word "retard", which was not even directed at her?

Obviously we do not want our politicians speaking to other leaders with slang and potentially offensive sorts of language, but it is not unreasonable to cut politicians a little slack now and then. The alternative is politicians speaking in an extremely hyper calculated sort of manner which they do anyway, and which is far more annoying than somebody occasionally calling somebody else a paintyhead.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 09:55 PM

Are you really surprised Palin wants to keep her name out there, besson? Shock you it does? That's the way she rolls.

A better question is, why do you care so much about it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Are you really surprised Palin wants to keep her name out there, besson? Shock you it does? That's the way she rolls.

A better question is, why do you care so much about it?

I don't, I just *hate* this sort of thing. Politicians on both sides do this, this is not really about Palin, although this was definitely extraordinarily dumb. Still, like I said, this is nothing new.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2010, 10:30 PM

Might I point out that the former governor of Alaska has an intellectually impaired child. The kind of person that most of society used to call "retarded." It's actually Down Syndrome IIRC, but there are significant intellectual challenges that are pretty much expected with Down. In other words, for once she has a reasonable point to be upset about.

Not agreeing with her, really. Just sayin'...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Might I point out that the former governor of Alaska has an intellectually impaired child. The kind of person that most of society used to call "retarded." It's actually Down Syndrome IIRC, but there are significant intellectual challenges that are pretty much expected with Down. In other words, for once she has a reasonable point to be upset about.

I'm aware of her kid's Down, and yes the term "retard" is degrading. Then again, so is "gay" used in a derogatory fashion, heavy drinking references, and others that are used quite commonly in society. I would have had no problem if she said that the term is derogatory and shouldn't be used, but to play the "I'm offended card" and demand his being fired is just lame, IMHO.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 10:59 PM

I Googled "Retarded", but all I find are articles about Sarah Palin.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

She totally dismisses people who don't like her killing things from a helicopter and insults everyone who disagrees with any of her policies — and then whines that somebody should be fired because they said something a bit insensitive that might have referred to her kid but obviously didn't? She has no right to complain. He who lives by the sword needs to shut the heck up.
Chuck
___

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 11:51 PM

I'm with Besson.

Rahm has every right to use the words retarded, because he's living proof that you can be f-ing retarded and still have a great career in Washington.

However, I would understand if Barney Frank was pissed - I mean, he's been working so hard, for somebody else to come and steal his thunder like that must really hurt.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2010, 08:31 AM

I think a lot of people don't realize how sensitive they are to certain words until those words hit them in the face. I'll agree quite strongly that Sarah needs to buy a clue, but I think my point is the real reason she reacted so vocally to Rahm Emanuel's statement.

finboy
Feb 3, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why do we tolerate this sort of theater?

We all know that politicians swear and say naughty things just like any other normal person behind closed doors. We know they have high stress jobs. Why do we jump down throats when somebody says something naughty and act all indignant about these naughty words? Why are we so gullible that we believe that some politician was offended by something like this? Thick skin is an absolutely requirement for a job that can result in economic turmoil, lives profoundly affected - it's clearly a very high stakes sort of job that politicians do, why do people actually believe that a politician like Palin is really losing sleep over the use of the word "retard", which was not even directed at her?

Obviously we do not want our politicians speaking to other leaders with slang and potentially offensive sorts of language, but it is not unreasonable to cut politicians a little slack now and then. The alternative is politicians speaking in an extremely hyper calculated sort of manner which they do anyway, and which is far more annoying than somebody occasionally calling somebody else a paintyhead.
Because EVERYONE DOESN'T think like this. It's a mean thing to say, regardless of the slur. Some people actually try to get along with others and would never think to jump somebody's sh*T like Rahm did. That's why we make a big deal of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2010, 01:31 PM

It'd be more fun to watch the Republicans chastise someone for not being PC if it weren't for the source of the chastising.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2010, 01:41 PM

The best way to combat this type of crap is to just ignore it.

The internet and cable news become a sort of feedback loop and the next thing you know we're all talking about and watching this type of crap rather then discussing real news.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 01:56 PM

Again, conservatives, repubs...their MO is intellectual dishonesty and feigned outrage. Nothing new.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Because EVERYONE DOESN'T think like this. It's a mean thing to say, regardless of the slur. Some people actually try to get along with others and would never think to jump somebody's sh*T like Rahm did. That's why we make a big deal of it.
This doesn't make much sense.

There are a million and one ways to offend people and a million and one ways to get along with people, how do we know when a politician is not trying to manufacture the former? How does calling to fire somebody an attempt to get along with anybody? How is cutting somebody no slack better than cutting somebody a little, as far as politics are concerned?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This doesn't make much sense.

There are a million and one ways to offend people and a million and one ways to get along with people, how do we know when a politician is not trying to manufacture the former? How does calling to fire somebody an attempt to get along with anybody? How is cutting somebody no slack better than cutting somebody a little, as far as politics are concerned?
Here you go Besson: The DOJ wants retards to apply: Caveat, they must be able to do the job: I think Eric Holder is a retarded. Can they fire retards? Probably not.
http://volokh.com/2010/02/03/seeking...arded-lawyers/

From a Justice Department job announcement for “up to 10 experienced attorneys for the position of Trial Attorney in the Voting Section in Washington, D.C.”:

The Civil Rights Division encourages qualified applicants with targeted disabilities to apply. Targeted disabilities are deafness, blindness, missing extremities, partial or complete paralysis, convulsive disorder, mental retardation, mental illness, severe distortion of limbs and/or spine. Applicants who meet the qualification requirements and are able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation are encouraged to identify targeted disabilities in response to the questions in the Avue application system seeking that information.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
their MO is intellectual dishonesty and feigned outrage. Nothing new.
Substitute in the word blacks, homosexuals, etc.., and that statement is equally as valid and more frequently applicable to real world situations.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2010, 08:15 AM

She totally dismisses people who don't like her killing things from a helicopter and insults everyone who disagrees with any of her policies — and then whines that somebody should be fired because they said something a bit insensitive that might have referred to her kid but obviously didn't? She has no right to complain. He who lives by the sword needs to shut the heck up.
The cries of those over the shooting of an animal from an airplane while remarkably silent regarding the practice of sucking fetuses through a vacuum will probably fall on deaf ears anyway.

Besides, I don't know that Palin has actually shot anything from the air, do you? What insult has she lodged against "those who disagree with any of her policies"? Egadz man, she's been under relentless attack since she was tapped to be a VP candidate, she's supposed to sit back and take it like a man? Who else would you expect this degree of tolerance from? This kind of seems like a "make up whatever the heck I want about Sarah Palin because I disagree with all her policies" post.

While I find the practice of aerial hunting abhorrent, her support of it under established law of predator control and on behalf of a native population that hunts big game for food and a living in select areas of Alaska enjoys a lot of science quite frankly. I know you simply disagree with her, but...
ebuddy

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 08:50 AM

No, you make a big deal about it because she's a "conservative," and so are you. Be honest with yourself. Rahm didn't "jump anybody's shit;" he made a generalized statement, which he shouldn't have made, and some people need an issue to jump all over the liberals on. This was a handy excuse.

I don't know what bubble most of you live in, but I hear that word frequently, and I don't take it as being addressed at any one person or group of people. Looks like some of you need to learn more about how word usage changes over time.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 10:06 AM

Perhaps Rahm should just THINK before speaking?

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
She's supposed to sit back and take it like a man? Who else would you expect this degree of tolerance from?
I seem to recall someone telling Hillary Clinton to put her big girl panties on. I think the same applies to Palin.

I'd find her opinion of this matter more honest if she'd simply stated that she was offended as a parent, without politicizing it by demanding someone be fired over it. It makes it less about her child and her feelings and more about AHA! SOMETHING TO RANT ABOUT ON FOX NEWS!

He should apologize and we should all move on.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 01:36 PM

Palin has a large support base of parents with mentally disabled children. Any slights or insults hurled at the mentally disabled will likely always prompt a comment from her.

As far as I know, such a group never rallied behind Hillary and asked her to speak for them in the national spotlight.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2010, 02:34 PM

ebuddy and Sarah Palin sitting in a tree... K-i-s-s-i-n-g!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2010, 05:31 PM

I care a lot less about who some talking head thinks should be fired than I do about Sen. Barbara Mikulski D-Maryland introducing legislation to strike the medically valid term "mentally retarded" from the federal lexicon. I think this politically correct garbage has gone on long enough.
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2010, 05:38 PM

Next thing you know, they'll hold a funeral for the 'N' word.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
But only when spoken within 3 words of the word "man."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 06:22 PM

Mental retardation is a medical term.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 06:26 PM

Haven't we solve a similar issue years ago to not use the word "Handicap".

Not mentally handicap, but mentally challenged or disabled.
Not physically handicap, but physically challenged or disabled.

http://seniors-site.com/coping/handicap.html

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 06:36 PM

So instead of F-ing retarded he should have said F-ing challenged?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Viagra would fix that problem.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Don't even get me going about the uproar every time some teacher discussing Chaucer uses the word "niggardly".

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
According to the Distinguished Senator from Maryland, it should have been F-ing individuals with an intellectual disability.
Nemo me impune lacesset

finboy
Feb 4, 2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
No, you make a big deal about it because she's a "conservative," and so are you. Be honest with yourself. Rahm didn't "jump anybody's shit;" he made a generalized statement, which he shouldn't have made, and some people need an issue to jump all over the liberals on. This was a handy excuse.

I don't know what bubble most of you live in, but I hear that word frequently, and I don't take it as being addressed at any one person or group of people. Looks like some of you need to learn more about how word usage changes over time.
No, what I said before. I could give a sh*t about the former Alaska governor. Rahm Emmanuel is obviously an abusive person (not just from this example).

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I seem to recall someone telling Hillary Clinton to put her big girl panties on. I think the same applies to Palin.
WIth the exception being of course that Hillary was literally, crying. I believe this was at the prospect of an Obama presidency come to think of it.

I'd find her opinion of this matter more honest if she'd simply stated that she was offended as a parent, without politicizing it by demanding someone be fired over it. It makes it less about her child and her feelings and more about AHA! SOMETHING TO RANT ABOUT ON FOX NEWS! He should apologize and we should all move on.
Of course, AHA FOX NEWS! No response is complete without an ad for them. The fact of the matter is that there are already more than enough good reasons for Emanuel's employment to be terminated that if he had happened to go down for a slur against the physically challenged, so be it.
ebuddy

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 12:42 AM

Rahm Emmanuel is obviously an abusive person (not just from this example).
Very few complaints of the "f---ing" part, which is apparently how the guy talks all the time.

I'll give folks a pass on an occasional F-bomb, but it's embarrassing that one of our top executives slings this language around as if it were commonplace.

I just read about when Prime Minister Tony Blair was here meeting w/ President Clinton, and Emmanuel said something to the effect of "Don't f--k this up" to the Prime Minister.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 03:45 AM

Sarah Palin is okay with Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh using the word "retarded".

Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin joke about retarded children during an interview with Glenn Beck, because both have special needs children.

Glenn Beck actually jokes about retarded children, instead of just using the word "retarded".
( Last edited by hyteckit; Feb 5, 2010 at 03:52 AM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2010, 07:47 AM

Obama jokes about retardation with Jay Leno. Obama is okay with Rahm Emanuel, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart making fun of "retarded" people.
ebuddy

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Don't even get me going about the uproar every time some teacher discussing Chaucer uses the word "niggardly".
And how many times must someone point out that "niggardly" predates the offensive "n word" by centuries before people remember it? It's insane how people can hold onto the offensiveness of a word or something that sounds like the word, without actually knowing anything about that word. I'll bet 99% of people can't tell you the derivation of "the n word," or how it spread as a descriptive rather than a slur.

"Retarded" was commonly used technical jargon for decades, just as the now obsolete "cretin" and "moron" were. These words migrated into non-jargon English and were mutated into slurs instead of technical terms through misuse and lack of attention to their original meanings. Turning a technical term into a slur happens slowly and insidiously,

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
No, you make a big deal about it because she's a "conservative," and so are you.
Do you honestly think that if it had been some high ranking conservative that made the some comment, there wouldn't be liberals screaming for his termination? Let's be reasonable here, these people are pushing an agenda, and they will use whatever they can to try and achieve that, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum. I think it would be dishonest to say otherwise.
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Don't forget, the term "Black Hole" is also racist.

Forum Links
Forum Rules