Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Component Video-Difference Between "Y Pb Pr" and "Y B-Y R-Y"?

Component Video-Difference Between "Y Pb Pr" and "Y B-Y R-Y"?
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2009, 04:05 PM

I have a Toshiba high-def DVD player and a Sony amp through which I'm trying to run component video to get to my Toshiba CRT-based TV. It won't work. I am curious if there's a real difference between the three component signals used by Toshiba and Sony. The Toshiba devices have the components labeled "Y Pb Pr" while the Sony amp's jacks are labeled "Y B-Y R-Y" This is only a minor inconvenience, since I'll have my HDTV delivered on Wednesday, but I really want to know if there's something really different, or if maybe either the HD-DVD player or the TV has defective component ports.

I just checked, and it seems that there is something wrong with the player's outputs. The TV displays fine with component input from a Sony DVD player, but it doesn't display correctly when directly connected (Toshiba-to-Toshiba) to the HD-DVD player. Hmph. The odd thing is that it seems there is a problem with the horizontal sync; there's a sort of ghosted image of the regular start-up display repeated something like 10 times across the screen when connected through a component cable.

Whatever the issue, I've checked the HDMI output on a friend's HDTV, and it definitely works, so I'm happy with that!
( Last edited by ghporter; Sep 7, 2009 at 04:14 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2009, 09:13 PM

Same thing, different labelling.

Y is luma.
Pb is blue - luma (thus B-Y).
Pr is red - luma (thus R-Y).

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 7, 2009, 09:52 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought, but searching online produced some interestingly confusing results. And I thought I understood both RBG and chroma/luma thing...

Anyway, I'm certain one of the ports on the player is bad, so I'll just go with HDMI when the TV comes in.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2009, 10:23 PM

Wikipedia has a list of labeling variations: Y/PB/PR, YPRPB, PRPBY, PBPRY, Y/Pb/Pr, YPrPb, PrPbY, PbPrY, Y/R-Y/B-Y, Y(R-Y)(B-Y), Y, R-Y, B-Y.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 8, 2009, 08:34 AM

That Wiki list makes my eyes cross. I think it would have been better as a table with headings like "green cable," "blue cable," and "red cable." And this specific list is one of the things that confused me. It was hard to pick out the details when looking for a particular label and then backtracking to see if it matched what I thought it matched.

Forum Links
Forum Rules