Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Universities target of next terror attack

Universities target of next terror attack
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:37 PM

I just got an email from public safety at my college (name withheld since I know they actively patrol the web for negative comments about them... and hey, my academic future is in their hands)...

Seems to get into specifics regarding preparation for a terrorist attack in specific what to look for...

Odd cars
people with bulky clothing
Odd packages left behind

Makes tons of references to car bombings.

Seems really specific. Oddly to specific. And concentrates on cars and packages (hinting at bombing)...

I'm wondering... has anything been announced as far as universities being targeted?

It's odd of them to send this out. And it's even more suspicious how it concentrates on car bombings.

Also makes note that there was no specific threat on the campus (but doesn't say "no threat on colleges"...

And they will be participating in a full scale emergency drill soon...

Definately odd.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:41 PM

What does an odd car look like anyway?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 04:42 PM

A lot of colleges have been getting calls from worried parents - "what are you doing to safeguard my Prince/Princess?" These kinds of e-mails are a good way for schools to reassure parents and keep the $$$ flowing.

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I just got an email from public safety at my college (name withheld since I know they actively patrol the web for negative comments about them... and hey, my academic future is in their hands)...
If they do go against a school, I bet you the anti-war mongers will just use it as that much more reason to back down.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Arabian characters in the license plate.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
A lot of colleges have been getting calls from worried parents - "what are you doing to safeguard my Prince/Princess?" These kinds of e-mails are a good way for schools to reassure parents and keep the $$$ flowing.
To update those not in on NJ politics: There are no $$'s flowing in.... Most are losing money at an alarming rate (and tuition is going up at an even worse rate).... Because of the high population growth (people moving from the cities (NYC, Phili) to NJ) and babyboomers... there is way to much competition for the seats in colleges for them to be concerned... there will be enough people to pay to go.... so money isn't the issue for the colleges... it's an issue for many students such as myself though

Persons abandoning parcels or other items in unusual locations or high
traffic areas (pedestrian or vehicle)
- Persons attempting to access utility locations (water, electrical, gas
pumps, telecommunications,
information systems)
- Multiple persons who appear to be working in unison to commit the above
- Abandoned vehicles
- Unknown vehicles parked near buildings or common areas
- Unexpected or unfamiliar delivery trucks
- Unfamiliar vehicles parked for long periods
- Persons in vehicles "casing" buildings or areas
- Vehicles operating in closed areas
- Vehicles containing unusual or suspicious parcels or material
- Vehicles arriving and being left behind at odd hours
- Substances leaking or spilling from vehicles

- Account for and secure all sensitive material and information.
- Account for and secure sensitive deliveries in a timely manner.
- Secure all areas when not attended.

Just a small piece of what was sent.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2003, 04:48 PM

Which school in NJ do you go to?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Lerkfish
Mar 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

I doubt this is more than just prudent precautions.
there are a great many more terror-filled targets than universities.

think younger.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:53 PM

The only reason they do this is so that IF something does happen they can at least say they did something.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:03 PM

The only reason they do this is so that IF something does happen they can at least say they did something.
Good point... but why concentrate on one thing?

Wouldn't it be best to focus on all possibilities from bio, nuclear, airline crash, gunman... it's focused... that's what caught my attention..

Should have been sent out a while ago if that were the case.

Just why focus on car bombings? IMHO if I were a terrorist, that would be my last idea.

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 10, 2003, 05:04 PM

If anyone I know is hurt, I'm going to iraq somehow.

- Ca$h

funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 05:04 PM

Actually, I don't think this is an isolated incident. My school also has signs posted up all around the dorms, saying we're now in 24-hour lockdown mode. In other words, no one can get into any dorm on campus with a key.

Now, I could sit here and point out a lot of the silly parts to this idea - how easy is it to just say, "hey, hold the door for one sec" - but it's very odd for them to even be doing it here, in North Dakota of all places.

It doesn't actually say the word "terrorism" on the notices anywhere, but "national security concerns." Pretty weird.

One story going around here is that some guy in Florida who was picked up for being a member of Al-Qeuda was a professor at a school, and he said universities were next on the list for attacks. Pretty weird, kind of scary - and it was a bit of a factor (a SMALL bit, horribly small) in my choice of college. I figured North Dakota wouldn't be too prone to an attack.

But as far as terrorists attacking colleges - it could definitely happen. Why not take out the kids who are learning right now, the ones who are the smartest at the moment? The future world leaders? I don't know... I hope not.

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 10, 2003, 05:07 PM

North Dakota? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell would attack North Dakota? I wasn't even aware there were universities IN North Dakota.

>shrug<

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 05:09 PM

NJ... School patrolling for negative comments... The school assuming that it is the center of the universe (classic Ivy League)... You go to Princeton, don't you?

BG

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:12 PM

Preparation is important. Just as Severed Hand of Skywalker posted, they are doing to to protect against future criticism.

It's the same for WMD's coming to the US, Teddy & the Hollywood Elite would be the 1st to complain is GHW did not act!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2003, 05:12 PM

There are a few I could see doing this. TSC, Rutgers, Princeton, Rider, and to a lesser degree, Montclair, Kean, and a few others.

Mike

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:13 PM

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
NJ... School patrolling for negative comments... The school assuming that it is the center of the universe (classic Ivy League)... You go to Princeton, don't you?

BG
No

Most schools are pretty active in this aspect... to "preserve their honor".. bla bla bla. Sick really.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I doubt this is more than just prudent precautions.
there are a great many more terror-filled targets than universities.

think younger.
ugh, don't say that. I just don't even want to imagine.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
If a terrorist really wants to get attention (the goal of terrorism)... what would you do.

Hate how law enforcement looks down upon the idea... but "what would you do" is a good question to ask...

Would you bomb the grand canyon as the national parks service seems to believe? or attack a population of small children?

Lerkfish
Mar 10, 2003, 05:22 PM

neither do I.
I have a four year old.

but it would have more emotional impact (no offense to college students).

Unfortunately, all sorts of dark possiblities triggered by fear have crept into my mind unbidden. Which is, I suppose, the purpose of terror.

finboy
Mar 10, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Right, lots of them are CYA memos.

I also think that there is a lot that can be done to stop things if people just become more aware and think about what can be done in a given situation.

The price of peace is eternal vigilance, as you all know.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:35 PM

neither do I.
I have a four year old.

but it would have more emotional impact (no offense to college students).

Unfortunately, all sorts of dark possiblities triggered by fear have crept into my mind unbidden. Which is, I suppose, the purpose of terror.
Trust me, I don't disagree with what you said at all. I just find it difficult to think about this and still function as a normal human being at work, while my daughter is in school 5 days a week. I tell myself that the likelihood of something happening where we live is low... but is it? (And even if something like that didn't happen here but somewhere else, then I am no happier knowing someone else lost a child.)

Lerkfish
Mar 10, 2003, 05:37 PM

Trust me, I don't disagree with what you said at all. I just find it difficult to think about this and still function as a normal human being at work, while my daughter is in school 5 days a week. I tell myself that the likelihood of something happening where we live is low... but is it? (And even if something like that didn't happen here but somewhere else, then I am no happier knowing someone else lost a child.)
well said, and my sad sentiments exactly.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 05:37 PM

This is exactly right. I work at a University, and we've been getting this stuff since 9/12/01. I strongly doubt there is any specific reason to believe Universities are a target.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 05:49 PM

LOL!! Very good.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
This is exactly right. I work at a University, and we've been getting this stuff since 9/12/01. I strongly doubt there is any specific reason to believe Universities are a target.
The reason I ask is this is a first that I am aware of here... and it focuses in on car bombings.

It doesn't really make a mention of any other attack.

If it was a "just keep your eyes open letter" it would be just that.

It was also very long (which is not usual, since they know people get bored quick)...

Why would they focus on cars... just for kicks? That's what doesn't make sense. If anything, i would think a bio attack would the biggest threat to a university or general population... living in confined quarters. Eat at same cafe... Spread quickly.... that would seem more logical.

And why all of a sudden announce that they will be drilling? Wouldn't that be best done in the summer when there are few students on campus, hence less work load for them? Why now?

Just does't make sense... that's all.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 06:23 PM

Volkswagon Things...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 10, 2003, 06:38 PM

the focus around here has been on backpacks, not cars. as in you can't carry one into a sporting event or any other organized indoor events (besides class, of course). does anyone else see a fatal flaw with the logic of this plan?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 07:08 PM

My school has said nothing about any of this that I've noticed. Of course I throw away the all-campus emails before reading them, so it's possible that I just missed it. I somehow doubt that a small (~2000 people) liberal arts college in rural minnesota is likely to be a target.

Maybe Yale, since that's where Bush went, or a simultaneous strike on all the Ivy Leagues or something. Seems like a good idea for an attack. Kill the perceived 'best and brightest'.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
the focus around here has been on backpacks, not cars. as in you can't carry one into a sporting event or any other organized indoor events (besides class, of course). does anyone else see a fatal flaw with the logic of this plan?
my highschool had a no backpack rule... but we were allowed to wear as baggy clothing as we pleased.

So no guns in backpacks.... but you can easily fit a handgun and a few rounds into your pockets in a pair of cargo pants.

I tried to get shoes banned after the shoebomber in Dec 2001 (my birthday I might add).... but that ended up just getting me in trouble for "insulting" staff.... go figure... I was just concerned with my safety

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
or a simultaneous strike on all the Ivy Leagues or something. Seems like a good idea for an attack. Kill the perceived 'best and brightest'.
Look out Brown!

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 07:55 PM

There's nothing like that ol' college spirit!

Now we just need some sort of fight song.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 08:24 PM

Seems to get into specifics regarding preparation for a terrorist attack in specific what to look for...

Odd cars
people with bulky clothing
Odd packages left behind

Makes tons of references to car bombings.

Seems really specific. Oddly to specific. And concentrates on cars and packages (hinting at bombing)...

I'm wondering... has anything been announced as far as universities being targeted?

It's odd of them to send this out. And it's even more suspicious how it concentrates on car bombings.

Also makes note that there was no specific threat on the campus (but doesn't say "no threat on colleges"...

And they will be participating in a full scale emergency drill soon...

Definately odd.
Originally posted by denim:
If they do go against a school, I bet you the anti-war mongers will just use it as that much more reason to back down.
Exactly. Propaganda to keep those pesky anti-war uni students in line.

Uncle Sam Wants You! (to be afraid).

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 08:40 PM

The best things to do to really instill terror would be to do about 10 seperate attacks within one week. That way you bomb the small child's soft ball game. Blow up all the gas stations in San Deigo. Do something small to the WTC site, set a nuke off in Dallas... honestly I'm kinda wondering... the US can't have THAT many agents working to protect it'self. And with so many enemies with more than enough cash to buy a few nukes and bio agents and stuff... I seriously wonder why on earth nothing big since 911 has happend in America. I mean I'm not hoping it DOES. I certainly would never wish for anything like that uppon any nation. But I'm curious I mean if you send 5 nukes by five covert routes, some of them are bound to end up in the US, you have tons of unprotected costal area, you can kinda walk across the Canadian boarder without a whole lot of trouble. And don't blame us for that you don't protect it either and you have far more people to do so. Heck even the mexican boarder. You can't even stop cocain from traveling across your air lines what about a well encased strain of Ebola?
Like sure it must take some time and resources but there have got to be far more crazy people in the world willing to do this sorta stuff... I seriously wonder why on earth none of the arab countries have done anything like this. I mean america even on it's veiw of everyone as equal even if you have 100 arab men bomb places and take credit you'll still never run into the gov doing anything to boycott arabs from walking around and junk. I dono... I just think the terrorists can't be to bright if they've only been able to hit one target
Then again I'm very glad they havn't...
makes you remember to thank God for the time you got... and the times when you arn't kissin your butt good bye.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 11:00 PM

Bernard Kerik gives speaches now about 9/11... and his outlook on terrorism. Since HBO did In Memorium on Sept 11... he did a speach for some employees at a confrence a year ago, and my father attended it.

First of all, said to be an amazing speaker.

Secondly... what he thought on terrorism:

His theory (which makes perfect sense) is that it would take a handful suicide bombings similar to what happens in Israel to cripple the United States economy....

1. Disneyland, a stadium, or some other major tourist attraction.

2. In a supermarket, or some everyday place (make people realize you are never safe).

3. And one in a financial institution such as a bank.

Americans are very easy to intimidate. History is proof. 9/11 and Airlines still have a drastic loss of revenue... Distant tourist attractions visited by Americans still don't see many (most who do fly now, fly short flights). We almost cut off imigration for the first time in North American history.

Two accidents in night clubs, and many have had to cancel upcomming events due to lack of attendance.

1. Would cut tourism down.. a major source of revenue in many places (Hawaii, NYC, Florida come to mind off hand... many shore points, etc.... that's many people losing income.

2. Effectively puts people in their homes avoiding comerce.

3. The last backbone of our economy is now dangerious. Just like the old days, people are afraid of losing their life in the bank, and hide money under the bed... inflation depreciates the value of a dollar, lowering the potential value of the average household... cyclical reaction follows.

And that's only the economic factor.

Apply the principle to the ways of life, and see how it will change.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 12:23 AM

Glad I'm done with school

Not that they'd attack Berkeley, doing so would kill half of the US al-Qaeda members.

Lerkfish
Mar 11, 2003, 01:30 AM

Bernard Kerik gives speaches now about 9/11... and his outlook on terrorism. Since HBO did In Memorium on Sept 11... he did a speach for some employees at a confrence a year ago, and my father attended it.
(off topic) I hope you don't take this as against you, because there are dozens of other people that do it, which is why I pose the question:

Is there some reason why on message boards people insist on using the word "speach" instead of "speech"?
I thought it might have been an unorthodox spelling, like colour for color....but there's no entry in the dictionary.

Is it a 133t thing?

I know you're going to think I'm being anal about spelling again, but this one crops up SO often I'm starting to think there is some other reason for the alternate spelling.

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 01:35 AM

It seems they're focusing more on cars because it's more practical to have a car blow up or a parcel blow up than try and crash a plane into a university. I mean, crash a plane into a college? It's a waste of material. Might as well go for the white house or Congress if you're going to use a plane. Or a bridge.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 01:46 AM

You know when working for a gas station I found out that there are huge amounts of gas stored under the station, if you blew up just a few of those with small explosives you could probably take out whole city blocks.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 01:49 AM

I thought it might have been an unorthodox spelling, like colour for color....

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:

BG
Watch it dude. I received no such email. Although the cops are cracking down on the eating clubs for their own political gains and it will result in students getting seriously hurt in the long run. But that's not really terrorism related. Oh, and the borough fire inspectors are coming around this week. I would usually hide the microwave but they already confiscated it the last time.

So in closing, no such email at Princeton.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2003, 05:01 AM

If they attack universities, they will be wasting their time.

Once Bush starts World War III and the draft is reinstated, college-age kids will be dying in short order, without help from terrorism.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 11, 2003 at 05:16 AM. )

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 11, 2003, 02:30 PM

My dad drove one of those for a few days. One of hte drivers backed into something so he had to drive it to the bodyshop, and from the bodyshop. Thing is, he made a side trip to my sister's high school and picked her up. She was embarassed.

- Ca$h

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 09:40 PM

Well... guess I WAS RIGHT...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...ion/index.html

The more news develops... the more it seems they had knowledge something was in the works.

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 09:46 PM

The more news develops... the more it seems they had knowledge something was in the works.

LOL you weren't right...the person who sent you the email was.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
LOL you weren't right...the person who sent you the email was.
But I was right that there was some sort of knowledge... Despite denial from everyone.

The email was specific to bombs. In particular car bombs... but that was the focus.

There in my mind is no way they can say "we had no idea". Several schools supposedly have done these drills to prepare for today.

Just another example of how the government really isn't as clueless as it claims.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2003, 10:03 PM

Did you rush right over here to make sure everyone knew you were right?

Mike

shanraghan
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 10:26 PM

We have no idea what caused the bomb. If it were a terrorist attack, it's far more likely it would've been bigger and targeted at actually killing as many people as possible. Then again, it's possible it could have been a terrorist bombing, just to put us on edge.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
We have no idea what caused the bomb. If it were a terrorist attack, it's far more likely it would've been bigger and targeted at actually killing as many people as possible. Then again, it's possible it could have been a terrorist bombing, just to put us on edge.
The question still would be why were Universities all of a sudden rushing to stage planned drills for this exact type of attack?

An odd coincidence that a few months earlier, many schools simultaniously got the idea... and all did the same drill?

Why would they all do the bomb attack? I would think some would consider chemical or nuke more of a hazard, especially giant campuses that take up lots of land.

Why all focus on car bombs, suspicious packages, and people in heavy clothing?

Seems to me like someone knew something much earlier than they will let on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules