Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Best D-Link WiFi Router?

Best D-Link WiFi Router?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2007, 03:22 PM

I'm looking to get a new router+wifi-basestation, and have narrowed the choices down to two inexpensive D-Link models and one NetGear model. Aside from the relatively small difference in price though, I really can't tell what is the difference between the three, or which one would be a more reliable buy -- anyone have any experience with or thoughts about any pf models? or have any other recommendations on a good/cheap router?

D-Link / AirPlus / DI-524 / 54Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / Wireless Router
D-Link AirPlus DI-524 54Mbps 802.11g 4-Port CableDSL Wireless Router DI524 at TigerDirect.com

D-Link / WBR-1310 / 54Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / Wireless Router
D-Link WBR-1310 54Mbps 802.11g 4-Port CableDSL Wireless Router at TigerDirect.com

Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router
Amazon.com: Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router: Electronics

thanks,
ox

ps: also is WPA the most common security method for WiFi routers these days?
( Last edited by OmniX; Jan 20, 2007 at 03:38 PM. )

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2007, 11:15 PM

I've had the netgear WGR614 for a couple years now and I have not had any problems with it. I have not gotten too technical with it so I can't comment on how that compares but in terms of reliability mine has done fine.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 04:45 AM

I have the DI-524 and it's been reliable. There are emulators on D-Link's website were you can test out the admin software to make sure that the router will do what you need it to.

Obviously, there are better routers out there, but if you just need it to connect wirelessly then it's a pretty safe buy.

Also, if your computer supports it, you should be using WPA.

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I have the DI-524 and it's been reliable. There are emulators on D-Link's website were you can test out the admin software to make sure that the router will do what you need it to.
Is D-Link mac-friendly, in terms of providing any firmware updaters that can be used from a Mac?

Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Obviously, there are better routers out there, but if you just need it to connect wirelessly then it's a pretty safe buy.
I don't know too much about routers, so would you mind elaborating on that? What better routers are out there, and why are they better? I understand there are 802.11n routers available now with 100+Mbps throughput, but my computer only has an 802.11g card, so I don't need a router/base-station with anything more than that.

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 03:28 PM

on another note, is disabling SSID broadcast a standard option on all routers? i was able to confirm that D-Link routers support that feature (thanks El Gato for the emulator reference), but I've had some difficulty determining if that is true for Netgear's products too.
( Last edited by OmniX; Jan 21, 2007 at 04:03 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2007, 07:06 PM

Here's a link to one of Netgear's more popular wireless routers' manual. It shows that SSID broadcast can be turned off with this model. I have discovered a problem with this and other Netgear routers though; instead of a local, non-routable IP address, you access the configuration page for this router with an INTERNET URL. Which, by the way, has been squatted on by GoDaddy. Bad move, Netgear.

However, from a security standpoint, turning off SSID broadcast is sort of like latching your screen door; it does not really hide your network, it just keeps the name from showing up. And with some easily available software, anyone who cares to can find out the network name anyway, because it's transmitted as part of the CLEAR TEXT part of every packet. If security is your reason for disabling SSID broadcast, there are better techniques than this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by OmniX View Post
Is D-Link mac-friendly, in terms of providing any firmware updaters that can be used from a Mac?
Yes. Although I believe this router has been out for a while, so I'm not sure how active D-Link is going to be about updating the firmware.

Originally Posted by OmniX View Post
I don't know too much about routers, so would you mind elaborating on that? What better routers are out there, and why are they better? I understand there are 802.11n routers available now with 100+Mbps throughput, but my computer only has an 802.11g card, so I don't need a router/base-station with anything more than that.
Better in terms of functionality. If you're just looking for something to connect to the internet with, a $20 D-Link will do you well. If you need to create wireless bridges to other access points or set up a more complex network, then something like the Linksys WRT54G would be a better buy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules