Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Leopard iChat: remote desktop

Leopard iChat: remote desktop
kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 01:19 PM

I have a question about the Leopard version of iChat and it's ability to allow remote control of a computer. This seems to be a consumer version of Remote Desktop, right?

I'm thinking that this makes a nice tool to connect to my work computer from my home computer. Just set up two iChat addresses, one for home and one for work, and then be able to work remotely whenever I want.

kman

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 02:03 PM

Dunno how well that scenario would actually work. If it's anything like initiating a file transfer or audio/video chat, it will require a click on the other end to accept it.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
Dunno how well that scenario would actually work. If it's anything like initiating a file transfer or audio/video chat, it will require a click on the other end to accept it.
I think cybergoober is probably right. I remember in the video demo it showed an alert box pop up asking for permission to initiate the desktop sharing.

Your best bet is to use VNC (server and client). You can use this now to do exactly what you want without waiting for Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules