Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New AV Setup - Suggestions Please

New AV Setup - Suggestions Please
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

Hi,

I'm moving, and this is the perfect time for me to re-think my AV setup. Currently, I have an old 35 hour DirecTivo box, and watch that content on the tv it's connected to, as well as another tv in my kitchen using the LeapFrog dealio (which is less than optimal, as the Microwave kills the signal).

I would like to move to having my TV and Movie content on my mac mini, and stream that content to my 2 other tv's in the house via wifi (which I believe won't be so susceptible to my microwave interference!). I also want to put speakers throughout my house so I can listen to iTunes throughout my house (and back yard).

I've read a lot of posts about using eyetv or miglia to record tv over the air and put it into itunes, but I'm not sure how well that would work, and how much manual intervention that would take on my part. About half of the channels I watch are USA channel, and SciFi - channels that aren't available over the air. Also, there's the non-techie factor of my wife, who just wants to turn on the Tivo and watch what's recorded there.

Lastly, I like that the portability of having all my movies ripped and copied to my ipod (we travel, and would like to take our tv & movie content with us).

I guess what I'm hoping to get ideas on are:

- What would you do if you were setting up something from scratch?
- Recommendations on eyetv vs. miglia, or something else?
- Maybe a mac mini on one tv, with apple tv on the other tv?
- Bittorrent - that's fine, but I need some way to be notified of new content. How are you guys doing that?
- Other ideas??

My other option is to just get another DirecTivo box and have an extra line going to the other TV, which actually sounds like the easiest solution. No portable content though!

Anyway, thanks for any ideas!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 09:04 PM

Slingbox Tuner!

Its an ethernet network device that acts as a TV tuner, sending the video via ethernet. While you can't record (yet) with the SlingPlayer software, its an easy way to get TV on to any Mac on your network. Add additional boxes for additional tuners.

Slingmedia also makes a Slingbox AV with AV inputs and an IR repeater meant for controlling & networking a TiVo, etc., and a Slingbox Pro for High-def sources.

Forum Links
Forum Rules