Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15-second revisit of macbook screen gripe...

15-second revisit of macbook screen gripe...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 10:13 AM

i SWEAR (lol) i am not trying to start another 'glossy vs matte" thread; just making an observation...

have had an alu macbook for about 2 months now, and really like it (despite no FW, and a half-assed screen; at least it's bright). have not let the reflective screen bother me, and customized the monitor profile so the screen seems less washed out.

but today, am working at someone else's office, and there is sunlight coming in the window (in front of me, not behind). sun feels nice, and the room benefits from it.

but what i see most in the screen is myself. sure i can adjust the tilt on the screen: for instance, i can see less of my face and more of my shirt. sucks!

just wish (again, sigh), that there was a matte option (from apple) on the macbooks.

love my macbook, hate the screen... <end rant>
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2009, 10:40 AM

Get a $35 diffusor film or have the glas screen replaced with a matte screen for $200.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Get a $35 diffusor film or have the glas screen replaced with a matte screen for $200.
the matte screen replacement is a macbook pro option only (for now); i may try the diffuser...
or just stay away from the sun...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Cloud
Feb 13, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i SWEAR (lol) i am not trying to start another 'glossy vs matte" thread; just making an observation...
<end rant>
C'mon just tell us you want to return it.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
C'mon just tell us you want to return it.
return what? the macbook? i LIKE this thing: it's small, light, less hot than my 12" powerbook.
bright screen, backlit keys. fast. quiet.

i ranted enough here about no firewire, and the glossy screen...so will stop now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 01:26 PM

Yeah, the reflective screen is usually not a problem for me, except in the early morning in my office on a sunny day.

Luckily I usually don't need to use my laptop at work.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, the reflective screen is usually not a problem for me, except in the early morning in my office on a sunny day.

Luckily I usually don't need to use my laptop at work.
well, i solved the problem, for free. (i closed the blinds).

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2009, 04:02 PM

you guys crack me up LOL

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
well, i solved the problem, for free. (i closed the blinds).
There is light leakage around the edges of the slats. Even if I close the blinds it's a problem. I suppose I could get new blinds though.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
There is light leakage around the edges of the slats. Even if I close the blinds it's a problem. I suppose I could get new blinds though.
a big piece of cardboard, and gaffer's tape, and ANY room can be made macbook-ready...

jamester
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2009, 10:20 PM

Now, granted, I've only had my macbook for a few days. But I did use it today in my car in a fast food parking lot. (Chick-Fil-A has free wifi that reaches to the outside of their lot!)

I used Skype to talk to videochat with my sister half the country away. On my lunch break. What a great treat. And I didn't think about the glare at all.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
MacWorld did a review of the screen replacement and there's a long running thread about it, other then the glossy vs. matte debate that entailed, there was also a lot of discussion of the damage this process exacted on the MBP. Basically the vendor does not promise that it will come back damage free because of how difficult it is to remove the display panel, indeed the author's computer had some minor dents and scratches on the lid. I think the risk of damage far outweighs the benefit of the matte display.

Here's the thread on macworld There's also a link to the story that started the whole discussion.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 12:05 PM

So then stick with the glossy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules