Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Should I Upgrade To Mac OS 9

Should I Upgrade To Mac OS 9
ibookmaniac
May 17, 2000, 05:19 PM

I am undecided about upgrading to OS 9, keepin Mac OS 8.6 or waiting for Mac OS X for my iBook-Blueberry. I know about iTools and use it using a special Mac OS 8.6 patch I found. Is it really worth it. Anyone! Thanks.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 17, 2000, 05:34 PM

this horse has been beaten again and again, please search the forum, there are any number of posts to several questions just like yours

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2000, 10:03 PM

I have the same iMac as you and recently upgraded from 8.6 to 9 and 9.0.4
Honestly, I don't see any difference but have yet to try out iTools. Thought I'd get the OS for $20 while I still could since I had the iMac for less than 6 months.
As wlonh says, the discussions on this topic have been truly encyclopedic in breadth. I say flip a coin and save your eyes...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2000, 10:30 AM

IMO, it's not worth the upgrade. I'm still running OS 8.6 on all my Macs and don't see any use for OS 9.

Have you considered the free OS X public beta which we should be able to get later this summer?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

iMacZee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2000, 11:34 AM

I think -
You would be very happy with OS 9.0 (9.04)
Nice features and why not get the best
OS 8.6 was nice toooo though

CY

------------------
iMacZee - all over the world . . .
http://www.imaczee.com

dabradda
May 23, 2000, 07:51 PM

for the setup you have, i wouldnt upgrade. os 9 eats so much ram. also, i would downgrade from 8.6 down to 8.5.1. but, 8.6 is ok.

dabradda

vidimac
Jun 9, 2000, 08:31 AM

Yes, Upgrade. If you have any problems, you'll be able to fix them. Buy more memory if you need it. Get cable or dsl and have a blast! Figure you'll get at least 6 months of using os 9.x before considering upgrading to OSX, unless you can't resist playing with the beta version.

Alan Chard
Jun 9, 2000, 11:08 AM

OS9 will not run Microsoft Office 4.2 (with Word 6) and there are major issues with drivers for some HP printers (870cxi)

Forum Links
Forum Rules