Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is there a crack to iTunes songs yet?

Is there a crack to iTunes songs yet?
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 11:36 PM

I refering to the song you buy on apple's website. I only learned that they only played on one computer, and could be copied only a certain number of times a few months ago. Since everyone asumes that the new security the riaa is puting on CDs is going to be quickly cracked.. I was wondering if this has happened to itunes music store songs yet. So far I've been advising people to not buy songs from apple or anyone so long as they can still get them for free.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 12:00 AM

Ganesha
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 02:46 AM

Correction: They can be played on FIVE computers, and be copied an unlimited number of times.

Where did you learn they can be played on only one computer? Where did you learn you can only copy them a limited number of times? Why are you advising people on things you know nothing about?

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 11:07 AM

I'm having an annoying with the protection...

I had 3 windows machines that were authorized to play my downloaded music. One server, one mine, then one my sister's. Well, I know it's hard to believe, but all three of them eventually quit working before I could deauthorize them. I ended getting an iBook and then another PC. The iBook went to the church, and the PC to my parents when I moved out. Basically, there went my 5 computers without realizing it. When I got my PowerMac on June 6th, it couldn't play any of my downloaded songs. Bummer.

I decided to get around it by just creating a new account. My old account wasn't associated with my credit card anyway. I got my songs by buying a Pepsi and then using the cap to redeem my song. I always won because if you tilted the bottle just right, you could see if it was a winning bottle or not. I got about 25 free songs that way.

My only major gripe with the iTMS is the inability to re-download purchased music. If I loose my purchased music, I'd be pissed. Luckily I still buy CDs when I can.

I need more coffee.

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2005, 01:21 AM

what is the point of this post?
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

el chupacabra  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 04:25 AM

gty
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Feb 9, 2011 at 07:14 PM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 02:46 PM

I hope you're not talking about getting music for free that you are obligated to pay for (i.e., stealing). That cannot be condoned.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 06:11 PM

yea this kind of discussion is prone to lockination...

that being said: digital->analog->digital?? Of course. Even if that does work, its wrong so don't do it!!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 06:16 PM

I'm petty sure burning itms tracks to a cd and re-encoding them would be digital->digital->digital. There's still a loss of quality though.

ImpulseResponse

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 06:35 PM

The iTunes Music Store is ridiculous. It often ends up being cheaper to buy the album than to pay a dollar per song for digital songs that have restrictions on them. Or, do what I do, buy from http://www.allofmp3.com. Songs have no restrictions (even if you choose to download in AAC format) and a song will lay you back about 5-10 cents. You can get an album for a dollar. Plus you get to choose your format and bitrate. Screw the iTMS.

danman
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2005, 08:13 PM

allofmp3 is the best music site. I have given them too much money.

barang
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2005, 09:03 AM

What about reripping a CD of burned ITMS songs? If you rip the cd on the same computer that you burned, you'll retain track names and info. That how I've always bypassed the DRM; I need to because I have a computer running OS 9 that can't play AAC, protected or otherwise. Completely within the law.

Or you can use iMovie. Takes a little longer, though.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

barang
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by danman
allofmp3 is the best music site. I have given them too much money.
Is this site strait up and legal?
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 09:27 AM

There's a lot of FUD in this thread. Let me try and set things straight:

Originally Posted by Ganesha
They can be played on FIVE computers, and be copied an unlimited number of times.
is correct, and not something Apple tries to hide. Another limitation is that any particular playlist can be burned up to 10 times onto CD. Of course, once it's burned onto Audio CD once, it can be copied as many times as you like outside of iTunes. And once it's burned onto a Data CD, it can be copied as well, but iTMS songs will need authorization to play in iTunes.

Oogabooga can deactivate computers on his old iTMS account if he no longer has access to them: this technote tells you how.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

The Hymm project basically works by emulating iTunes. So, you need the password to your iTMS account to use it -- you can't use it to decrypt songs other people have bought unless you know their password. The output file is a normal AAC file, with the same quality as teh original iTMS file.

When you burn iTMS songs to an audio CD, you are essentially burning it as an uncompressed Digital Audio stream that can be played in any CD player that can read CD-R's. So, when you burn an audio CD and then re-import it, you are essentially uncompressing the AAC file and then recompressing it. You will get some quality loss doing this. This will bother some people, and not others.

allofmp3.com is of dubious legality. The general consensus is that it is legal in Russia, it's home counrty, because (IIRC) of a bug in Russian copyright law that says that foreign artists do not need to be paid if you copy and distribute their work. But just because it may be legal there does not mean it is legal in your home country. In particular, no artist gets any money from allofmp3.com, but they do get money from iTunes. Which makes you a Dirty Filthy Pirate. Arrr!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
I hope you're not talking about getting music for free that you are obligated to pay for (i.e., stealing).
Who said anything about stealing CDs? He asked if the DRM from the iTunes Music Store can be cracked, and the answer is, "Yes."

Forum Links
Forum Rules