Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > apple's envionmental record?

apple's envionmental record?
pwrmacg4
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 12:02 PM

According to Greenpeace Apple doesn't do good job recycling old products: Greenpeace

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2006, 12:05 PM

so what?

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 12:42 PM

"so what?" ... This is bad, in more ways than one. If Apple wants to stay on the upscale of the computer industry, I needs to address this issue.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 12:43 PM

I'm sure if the company thought there was a PR problem, it would be addressed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 12:47 PM

I hope they address it for the enironmental problem, but I'm afraid your right.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm sure if the company thought there was a PR problem, it would be addressed.
Their sleek innovative image might be in jeopardy if they don't address it. Now that Apple quality control has slipped on many of their products, more of them will end up in a landfill sooner.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
"so what?" ... This is bad, in more ways than one. If Apple wants to stay on the upscale of the computer industry, I needs to address this issue.
I don't honestly give a rat's @ss what 'Greenpiece' thinks.

but knock yourself out worrying about it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 01:44 PM

Did someone mention rat's ass ?

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pwrmacg4 View Post
According to Greenpeace Apple doesn't do good job recycling old products: Greenpeace
Greenpeace's campaign against Apple is largely meaningless. Their "ranking system" compares cell phone manufacturers and computer manufacturers in the same list.

Roughly Drafted has an excellent series of articles on the Greenpeace campaign.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 01:56 PM

Greenpeace Apologizes For Apple Stink

oh crap I was beaten. well it was a story on alternet.org a while ago, so that's where I remember it from. Greenpeace isn't so credible, though the goal for total e-waste reduction is noble.
( Last edited by demograph68; Dec 8, 2006 at 02:04 PM. )

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 02:04 PM

They re-released a report (Dec 6th I think) and Apple scored lowest out of all of the tech companies. If you look at the data, they claim it's because Apple hasn't changed anything since the last report Greenpeace released. Most of the rankings are based on promises companies have made to do stuff in the future, which is just lame.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 10:27 PM

I can't wait to see landfills FULL of all those iPod nanos.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2006, 07:53 PM

Well, I kind of wrote off Greenpeace after Greenpeace members started clubbing baby seals. It was the only way they could get good photos of what people there were supposedly doing in Greenland...

volcano
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I can't wait to see landfills FULL of all those iPod nanos.
How many people actually throw away their old iPods? If they're in working condition, you can still sell them for a decent price locally or through eBay, and everyone knows this. If it's dead and won't work, Apple's iPod recycling program (where you get 10% off the purchase price of a new iPod if you bring your old iPod in) curbs anyones "compelling" urge to throw out their old, used iPods.

Apple packaging? They're helping the environment by creating smaller and smaller packages that require less and less styrofoam - thus elimating much of the "excess" that often bulges in large quantities with other manufacturers. Also, with smaller packaging, it has allowed Appe Retail outlets to stock more at once, thus eliminating as many shipments of Apple products in any given week, which leads to less gas consumption, less drive time, less emissions in the air... it's a domino effect really.

If you actually thought about Apple and how they've changed not only their product lines but the way they DELIVER their products you might actually realize how stupid you sound. Think about it, then maybe we can avoid all these gratuituous generalizations that keep popping up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules