Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBook 190cs

PowerBook 190cs
dialo
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 10:46 AM

So I recently got my hands on a 190cs. It has always worked fine and is wonderful for word processing. I don't ever use it since I have a tibook, but I wanted to give it to my sister in college (she can't take her imac to the library).

Problem is, it all of a sudden won't start up. I have a feeling I might have left it on without it plugged in for a few days, but my feeling would be that the battery would just die and the machine would shut off.

But now when I try to start it up, it just muckes this sort of popping sound from the speaker, the kind of sound you normally hear right when you press the power button, but instead of starting up it just keeps on making that sound until I depress the button. Even though it's had more than enough charging time, it doesn't even make this sound at all without it plugged into the wall. Any ideas?

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: dialo ]

finboy
May 20, 2002, 11:30 AM

press the reset button on the back, with it plugged in.

You may need to leave it plugged in for a few days to recharge the internal lithium battery first.

The reset button might restart it without a backup charge. Good luck.

MacResQ can probably fix it for less than $100, whatever it is. Shipping will cost more than the repair.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2002, 12:15 PM

Whatever is wrong with it, you really dont want to invest more than $50 into it. You can pick up an older PPC powerbook for about $150. The 190cs is quite old and not worth investing too much into it when you can replace it with another model.

dialo  (op)
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
<STRONG>Whatever is wrong with it, you really dont want to invest more than $50 into it. You can pick up an older PPC powerbook for about $150. The 190cs is quite old and not worth investing too much into it when you can replace it with another model.</STRONG>

Yeah, I don't plan on putting any money into it. Like I said, my sister has an imac. It's more because I don't like to throw anything out.

PS Is pressing the reset button going to erase everything? What exactly does it do?

jwblase
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 03:30 PM

On my PB 190cs the reset button just restarts the computer. I had your problem once. I called Apple tech on it and they said: Press and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds WITH THE UNIT PLUGGED IN. This resets the power manager. Then just start up as usual.

I've had this same problem a few times, and that solved it every time.

I don't even know what to do with my PB 190cs anymore.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 10:09 PM

My 5300 is much the same, pushing reset fixes it every time, the only problem - I removed the mobo to fix the loose power connector problem, and forgot to put the back shielding back in, so now I don't have an external button, and have to do it with a paperclip.
I think reset makes it forget some clock settings, or it could just be that I need a new laptop...
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

Forum Links
Forum Rules