Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gnutella 2!

Gnutella 2!
Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2002, 01:19 PM

If you look at the version 1.7b of shareaza (www.shareaza.com) it supports gnutella 2!!! This is a huge improvement over gnutella 1, in fact, it is even better than kazaa!!!

Go and try it!
The gnutella fundations are open-source and it will eventually be adopted by limewire, acquisition, etc!!!

This is a huge step forward!!!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Bouba:
If you look at the version 1.7b of shareaza (www.shareaza.com) it supports gnutella 2!!! This is a huge improvement over gnutella 1, in fact, it is even better than kazaa!!!

Go and try it!
The gnutella fundations are open-source and it will eventually be adopted by limewire, acquisition, etc!!!

This is a huge step forward!!!
Damn dude...you're everywhere...was that you that posted this on the Acquisition board?

And the ICQ/AIM in the Proteus board was definitely you.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 02:00 PM

WTF does this have to do with X!?!? Who gives a **** until a mac version comes out?!

<excuse me if there is a mac version, I didn't see one on their website>
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
WTF does this have to do with X!?!? Who gives a **** until a mac version comes out?!

<excuse me if there is a mac version, I didn't see one on their website>
Well...if Limewire jumped onto the G2 bandwagon, Acquisition would get G2...which ties in nicely with third-party OS X software.

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 6, 2002, 04:51 PM

How long would it be until Limewire gets gnutella2 support? I want it in Acquisition asap

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

Well...if Limewire jumped onto the G2 bandwagon, Acquisition would get G2...which ties in nicely with third-party OS X software.
Ah so this is the possible rumored future third party OS X software forum now?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:

Ah so this is the possible rumored future third party OS X software forum now?

Sure is...that's why there are OmniWeb 5 topics and Chimera 1.0 topics.

macmike42
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 08:58 PM

LimeWire currently uses some, if not all, of the "Gnutella 2" features. In fact, LimeWire LLC proposed most of the protocol enhancements, which will allow the Gnutella network to be more resilient, more efficient, and use less bandwidth. They are all "under the hood" enhancements. Therefore, the is literally nothing to see here*

*Unless you really want to use a file sharing client as your file manager and media player.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by macmike42:
LimeWire currently uses some, if not all, of the "Gnutella 2" features. In fact, LimeWire LLC proposed most of the protocol enhancements, which will allow the Gnutella network to be more resilient, more efficient, and use less bandwidth. They are all "under the hood" enhancements. Therefore, the is literally nothing to see here*

*Unless you really want to use a file sharing client as your file manager and media player.
What are you talking about?

macmike42
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 09:55 PM

What are you talking about?
I guess I should recap the day's Gnutella-related events (in reverse-chronological-order, of course):
and
Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
How long would it be until Limewire gets gnutella2 support? I want it in Acquisition asap
I was simply explaining that these guys (the Shareaza guys) are basically taking credit for LimeWire LLC's (and others') contributions to the Gnutella protocol, and LimeWire is not even really bitching about it. Here's why I say that:
Originally posted by Adam Fisk on Slashdot:
Almost all of these protocols are existing standards that have been developed by the rest of the Gnutella community. In face, not one of the primary protocols has actually been developed by Shareaza -- they're basically just repackaging the existing collection of newer protocols and calling them "Gnutella 2."

The only new additions proposed here are the binary tree structure for packets and the node addressing system. Otherwise, all of these protocol have been developed by other members of the Gnutella community. "Gnutella 2" is a marketting gimmick aimed at doing things like getting on Slashdot.
That said, it's not all bad. The perception of Gnutella should change, as the network is continuing to develop rapidly, with powerful protocols including the Hash/URN Gnutella Extension (HUGE), the Gnutella UDP Extension for Scalable Searches (GUESS), and the Ultrapeer proposal.

Perhaps the more important issue at hand, however, is whether or not Gnutella will remain an open, interoperable protocol, or whether it will disintegrate into proprietary schemes. As yet, none of the new parts of Gnutella 2 have been posted in public specifications. This is really a first for Gnutella -- the Gnutella community works because standards are published publicly and go through a review process among all Gnutella developers. Gnutella 2 may bode ill for the future of Gnutella as an open network, but I really I hope not. I hope that Mike (Shareaza) will quickly publish any new specifications that he has to alleviate the fears of myself and everyone else in the Gnutella world!

Adam Fisk LimeWire LLC
(I keep forgetting that not everyone has as relaxing a job as me and therefore not everyone reads every comment on every Slashdot article.)

Also, if every time Microsoft, Netscape, or whoever, added a really neat feature to an entity they didn't really own, and upped the version number, we would have HTML 74956.1345.534LICKMYMSDR73r984.2a-SP6 or something. Granted 4.01-Transitional ain't so elegant, but at least it isn't HTML X 10.2.1! There is no reason to call this Gnutella 2, since most of the open source community is constantly improving the protocol, as well as keeping it backward compatible with old clients. (I realize this paragraph is totally debatable, please don't bother refuting it, version numbering is just one of my pet peeves.)

Finally, I made the comment about the file manager and media player because two of the three bullet points from the Shareaza website are:
* The Ultimate Library
We've re-designed Shareaza's library so you can manage your files easier and access them faster. Virtual folders, albums, TV episodes, integrated search, metadata cross-referencing, multi-source thumbnailing -- its the most sophistocated file libary manager you'll find anywhere.

* Sexy New Media Player
Play Music and Video right in Shareaza. Faster than Windows Media Player, with even more options! Full playlist support. Preview files while you download them, including DivX movies!
...And I don't need any of those things in my P2P client, thank you. The Finder and iTunes are quite "ultimate" and "sexy", IMHO.

(Sorry for the ridiculously long post, Guy, but you asked; and I just happen to follow decentralized p2p very closely.)
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 10:35 PM

Sure is...that's why there are OmniWeb 5 topics and Chimera 1.0 topics.
Thing is, OW abd Chimera exist and have OS X versions

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 7, 2002, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:Thing is, OW abd Chimera exist and have OS X versions
Same with LimeWire and Acquisition

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2002, 06:59 AM

Here's a quote I got from the Sharaza forums:

If you're a Mac user, I highly recommend you try Acquisition (http://www.xlife.org/acquisition.php). It's based on Limewire so it's fairly feature-complete, it has pretty Cocoa goodness, and it's open source so you can contribute if you know how.

I'd consider a Shareaza port to OS X to be quite unlikely, since Shareaza probably makes extensive use of Win32 libraries.
My pants are fancier than yours!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:

(Sorry for the ridiculously long post, Guy, but you asked; and I just happen to follow decentralized p2p very closely.)
No...that's perfectly fine. You gave me a nice detailed explanation of what's going on. Sorry if I doubted you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules