Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Samsung OS X laser printer driver out. EXCELLENT!

New Samsung OS X laser printer driver out. EXCELLENT!
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2002, 11:09 AM

The last beta driver did work with my ML-4600 (X.1.2), but it was slow as hell. I have not tried this new beta yet.

Samsung beta printer driver Ver. 0.30.

EDIT:

This driver is ready for prime time. All the options are there, and it's sooo much snappier. The 0.22 driver was not 100% reliable, and it was very slow. Upgrading to 0.30 was like night --> day. Barring any unforeseen bugs, this version is ready for an official release, whereas previous versions were not even close.

Here is their readme:

Samsung Laser Printer Driver For Mac OS X Release Notes

Samsung Laser Printer Driver allows you to print any document on Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.1.x).
You can use the following Samsung laser printer models with this beta version driver.

- ML-1250
- ML-1650
- ML-4600
- ML-6060
- ML-1010
- ML-1020M
- ML-1210
- ML-1220M
- ML-6040
- ML-1450
- ML-1440
- ML-1430

About Version 0.30

- Printing speed is much faster than the previous versions.
- Added all paper sizes which were supported by Classic driver.
- Fixed several bugs.

Next Version Plan

- This version is a candidate of Samsung Mac OS X driver official version.

About Print Center

- There could be a problem when you add your printer at first time after installing the driver.
This problem is due to the bug of Print Center of Mac OS X.
To avoid the problem, please check the version of the driver after adding your printer.
If the version is not V0.30, please follow the below steps
1. Delete the printer on Print Center Dialog
2. Quit Print Center.
3. Reload Print Center.
4. Add your printer again.
http://www.samsungprinter.com

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

Propofol
Oct 27, 2002, 07:05 PM

I've installed this driver (0.30), but I cannot see any advanced options, such as driver-configured Energy Star stuff, driver-configured Toner Saver, Watermarking, Poster printing, etc. that are available in the Windows drivers.

Are these things not available in the Mac driver?

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2002, 09:20 PM

Hi!

I'm very interested in the Samsung ML-1210 and 1250 printers. Have any of you had experience using these printers on a daily basis with OS X 10.2? I would need it to print mostly black and white docs, but some grayscale stuff too. Are there lots of problems with quality? I had read that the Samsung lasers didn't do that great a job with certain types of grayscale images, but perhaps that was a driver problem. Thanks for any advice! Great news about the new drivers, BTW!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2002, 01:06 AM

The most recent link (for the 4600) is here:

http://www.samsungelectronics.com/pr...752_file5.html

It seems to be the same file as earlier.

I don't get Toner Saving or Watermarking either. I must say I didn't care. It does allow the multiple pages per sheet function, which I use quite a lot.

satv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 12:22 AM

The queue for my ML-1210 in 10.2.2 keeps stopping without printing. I'm using the v0.30 driver.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

It was working fine in 10.2.1.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by satv:
The queue for my ML-1210 in 10.2.2 keeps stopping without printing. I'm using the v0.30 driver.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

It was working fine in 10.2.1.
That's bizarre! Mine did just the opposite; it would stop printing from the queue in 10.2.1, and is now working perfectly in 10.2.2.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:

That's bizarre! Mine did just the opposite; it would stop printing from the queue in 10.2.1, and is now working perfectly in 10.2.2.
Well since I began using it in 10.2.2 and it works, I don't really know quite where I fit in.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

satv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 12:13 PM

I have it working now. Once I removed GamePad Companion from my preference panes, it worked. It seems that GamePad Companion with 10.2.2 conflicts with the Samsung driver.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2002, 06:05 PM

I too have problems with the queue... I installed the drivers from linuxprinting and it worked flawlessly. Although I don't have the same settings as I have in os 9. (However, I haven't been able to print from os 9... It keeps saying that the device doesn't have drivers available for it, even though I've installed the drivers!!!)
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 02:14 PM

Hey I fixed my problem with os 9! I can now print in both systems!

(It was a problem with my apple USB drivers... so I redownloaded the kit from apple and it fixed the whole problem!)
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 5, 2004, 11:36 PM

The new PCL 2.5 drivers for OS X.3 (released 2004/03/22) work perfectly with my initial testing with my Samsung ML-4600 (connected via USB). I no longer have to use the HP GIMP-print drivers (which only gave partial support).

I can't fault Samsung for lack of perserverance. This printer is several years old, and the first drivers for it were from something like 3 years ago, in X.1.

However, I can't access the PCL 2.5 drivers for Windows printing. The only option I get for Windows printing for Samsung is "Foomatic + GDI" (for other Samsung printers), and they don't work.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Apr 5, 2004 at 11:52 PM. )

meem
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 02:00 AM

the drivers won't download for me from samsung site with safari or ie can anyone post it somewhere.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by meem:
the drivers won't download for me from samsung site with safari or ie can anyone post it somewhere.
Agreed. I was just about to say that I couldn't get Panther to see my new ML-1710, and then I thought I'd better try to cycle it one more time before I posted just to make sure. Well it works after I unplugged the printer, then turned it off and back on again and re plugged it in. Man this thing is sweet.

I'd really be down for those 3.0 beta drivers, Eug... do you still have those hangin' around or what?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by meem:
? Can't you use Camino or IE or something?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 30, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
? Can't you use Camino or IE or something?
I'm not sure if there is a 3.0 beta for the ML-1710 because the file isn't there anymore. When clicking the 1710 link on the page below, and then clicking the OSX download, there is a 404 issued; the file isn't there anymore.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Prin...iver/index.htm

So I'm not sure where that comment about IE came in.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I'm not sure if there is a 3.0 beta for the ML-1710 because the file isn't there anymore. When clicking the 1710 link on the page below, and then clicking the OSX download, there is a 404 issued; the file isn't there anymore.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Prin...iver/index.htm

Can't download the ML-1710 or the 1750 drivers for Mac at all. IE, Mozilla, even IE 6.0 Windows doesn't work.

Addendum: Can't download Windows drivers, either. Must be an issue with Samsung's website.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2004, 11:49 PM

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Can't download the ML-1710 or the 1750 drivers for Mac at all. IE, Mozilla, even IE 6.0 Windows doesn't work.

Addendum: Can't download Windows drivers, either. Must be an issue with Samsung's website.
Yeah, I guess it's an issue.
ML-1710 driver

ML-1750 driver
Those are the 2.5 drivers. I found those earlier when I was messing around. They work great, I was just hoping to get in on the 3.0 beta driver goodness and speed. Thanks, though.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Yeah I didn't realize it was a 404 and not some other error.

I mentioned it because Samsung's site doesn't seem to like alternate web browsers. I can't even navigate properly thru the driver section of the website with Firefox on Windows. Very annoying.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 12:46 PM

Yeah I didn't realize it was a 404 and not some other error.

I mentioned it because Samsung's site doesn't seem to like alternate web browsers. I can't even navigate properly thru the driver section of the website with Firefox on Windows. Very annoying.
Hehe, I figured I'd leave the 404 talk out because I started to type "The server issued a 404" and I didn't like that I sounded like some httpd. Anyways, These 2.5 drivers work fine, it's a mystery as to why the printer didn't come with any OS X drivers at all, the ML-1710 is relatively new, right? I heard it was basically the new version of the ML-1210.

Forum Links
Forum Rules