Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VPN over Airport

VPN over Airport
richmacfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 11:15 AM

Hey everybody, I need some help. I have been logging in to my companies windows VPN over fixed ethernet through my DSL and it has been working like a charm. Thank you Apple putting this in 10.2 so I didn't have to buy another computer. Anyway, I now have an Airport which works great, except I cannot get the VPN connection to work through the Airport. I can still bring up the VPN window with the same settings but it won't connect. It still works if I go back into internet connect and choose the land line. Thanks for any suggestions.

howardm4
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 08:27 PM

well, it can work cause I do VPN over Airport
everyday.

Are you using a Linksys wireless router by
any chance?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2003, 09:20 PM

Are you 100% AirPort, or do you have the base station connected to a router or something? One way or another, there's a "pass through" that isn't, or a port that's closed that needs to be open.

Details of your current configuration would help. Post what type of modem you have, what kind of connection you're using (fixed IP, dynamic IP, PPPoE, etc.), and any other equipment you have connected to the modem. Then tell us ALL about your AirPort set up. I'll bet you're using pretty close to a default configuration... Also, what VPN client do you have, because it makes a difference in what ports it uses, etc. Anyway, when we see what you've got we'll have a better idea of what you'll need to do to get working.

Think of this as "explaining the funny sound to the mechanic." You'd be surprised how some seemingly trivial settings can just hose an otherwise great connection!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

richmacfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 04:38 PM

I am using earthlink DSL over Verizon lines with a Fujitsu DSL modem. I have my DSL modem connected directly to my Airport base station with an Airport card in my Powerbook 667MHz. I am using PPPoE configured with DHCP and an IP address of 10.0.1.2 which it says was provided by the server. I manually put in the DNS number which were provided by earthlink 207.217.77.82 and 207.217.120.83. My VPN client is operating thorugh internet connect on OS X 10.2.3 using PPTP with a server address of 65.205.13.67 accessed with IE 5.2 @ http://10.1.0.4 I hope that is enough, if you need to know anything else please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2003, 04:53 PM

What VPN client do you use? I don't think it'll make too much difference since it uses PPTP, but it might.

Apple says this about compatibility with PPTP VPN clients. It mentions the minimum AirPort software version needed-which reminds me, what version of the base station do you have?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

richmacfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 05:38 PM

I have the latest version of the Airport software, I think it is 2.05. I have no idea what kind of VPN client I use. How do I find out? I was looking in the network prefs there is one section for VPN, can that be the problem, or maybe through the Airport admininstrator?

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2003, 01:31 AM

I use the vpn software in internet connect, I can connect to my school server, i have the connection for a couple of seconds then I get disconnected...

Their servers are windows XP...
I don't see why it shouldn't work.. do you think the problem is on my side, or their side?!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 03:57 AM

I don't think VPN (at least PPTP) can work through the older, graphite AirPort base stations. Supposedly it works with the newer "snow" ones. The only way around this is to disable IP distribution on your airport base station. You might want to try out Cisco's VPN client, I think it has a NAT Transparency feature that might make it work better with AirPort.

OreoCookie
Jan 18, 2003, 12:08 PM

It may be a VPN compatibility issue. There are two kinds of handshakes for VPN -- encrypted and not-encrypted. Jagwire uses the encrypted login method. You need a third-party tool in order to use the other two configurations (either DigiTunnel or vpntracker).

Works for me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 11:15 PM

The one at school also use encrypted.. I get connected but the connection is unstable and I get disconnected after a couple of seconds.
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules