Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Playing mp3s in itunes without adding to library

Playing mp3s in itunes without adding to library
Rynomite9
Feb 17, 2003, 11:27 PM

i have a cd of mp3s i want to play in itunes, but i don't want to add it to my itunes library. is this possible? Where is the option to turn the addition off?
thanks

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 02:16 AM

(1) I don't think so - you can just delete them all once you're done playing them though...

(2) You can always play them in Quicktime player to avoid having them added to your iTunes library...
cpac

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 03:56 AM

The only way I know of playing an MP3 CD in iTunes without having to copy the MP3s to your HD first...is if you burned the MP3 CD with iTunes. I think Audion can play MP3 CDs without having to add them to your HD.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 04:45 AM

edit: never mind. i should read the posts carefully before i reply.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
The only way I know of playing an MP3 CD in iTunes without having to copy the MP3s to your HD first...is if you burned the MP3 CD with iTunes. I think Audion can play MP3 CDs without having to add them to your HD.
You don't have to copy them to your hard disk - just uncheck "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" under Preferences->Advanced. You will still have to add the files to your library but they will not be copied from their original location. (Note that adding a file to your library means "adding it to the list of songs iTunes knows about," not "making a copy in the iTunes folder.")

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
You don't have to copy them to your hard disk - just uncheck "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" under Preferences->Advanced. You will still have to add the files to your library but they will not be copied from their original location. (Note that adding a file to your library means "adding it to the list of songs iTunes knows about," not "making a copy in the iTunes folder.")
He still has to add them to the library list. If he burned the MP3 CD with iTunes he doesn't have to do this...it plays like an Audio CD.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2003, 05:14 PM

There should be a way to trick itunes in thinking that the songs are actually from a cd... Maybe a disk image with a link to the actual files in it would do the trick. I know that iTunes sees disk images as the real cds when it was made from an actual cd. It might work...
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
He still has to add them to the library list. If he burned the MP3 CD with iTunes he doesn't have to do this...it plays like an Audio CD.
Yes, that's what I said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules