Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard, OS 10.5 Revealed

Leopard, OS 10.5 Revealed
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2006, 11:10 AM

My Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Apple precludes me from revealing proprietary detail, but because most, if not all, of this is posted elsewhere and is commonly available, I have no problems with confirming the following. Still, please don’t quote me.

1. Leopard supports OS 9.x, as is done with Tiger, but OS 8 and earlier will not be officially supported. Legacy apps may still work, but Apple just won’t support them.

2. During the Leopard install, you are given the option to create specific partitioning to accommodate M$ Vista and Linux. Reformatting your HD is not required. Depending on your processor and RAM, all OS’s can run simultaneously & independently. A (minimum) 150 GB HD is required (250 GB is recommended), and 2 GB RAM (minimum) should you wish to run more than one OS. Dual processors are required for optimum performance, though this may change in 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

3. DiskWarrior (in lieu of TechTool) will be bundled with 10.5 if one chooses Apple Care or extends their current Apple Care contract. I don’t know the pricing or specific details, though Apple Care for older machines will increase significantly with the machine’s age. Machines over 6 years old (from date of mfgr.) are not eligible.

4. Safari will include editable Helpers. Safari Tabs can be assigned colors. Safari will be about 37% faster (YMMV). The default for Safari bookmarks will now be alphabetical by folder. Safari will include configurable parental controls (for those who want configured parents). Safari will now import Firefox and Camino bookmarks. Also, there are 12 new Safari “skins”.

5. The Dock will be much different. One new feature is that as icons are added, they will automatically migrate/expand around the screen as needed (or, you can reduce the size of the icons as presently done). Also, multiple docks are an option as is the amount of “bounce” desired in those dock apps launching or needing your attention. There is an accompanying bounce sound, a boing-boing sort of thing.

6. Hooks are built-in to support an Apple PDA, but I can say no more.

7. All Metadata will be editable.

8. You can have 3 ‘Finder’ windows open simultaneously, much like having 3 displays, all running different applications or OS’s. If networked, any 3 computers can be displayed. Depending on the function/application, you can even Drag & Drop between displays. Password or Admin. privileges are required. (see #2 above).

9. Widgets can run on any or all of your open windows, similar to the way Stickies can be placed anywhere.

10. Terminal has balloons that will appear with alerts/warning notes should you wish to do something that you will (later) wish you hadn’t.

11. Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSight, and iChat will become one integrated application, much like Entourage (but better). Included is a customizable Auto Responder and voice activated dialing via numbers or Address Book names. You will be able to automatically send email & initiate iSight meetings, etc. that are linked/pegged to specific calendar events. This feature is called AutoPilot (see #6 above).

12. Voice recognition/security has returned as an option (see #6 above). Note: Use with caution. I am still not certain this will make the final release (it’s still a bit buggy); perhaps delayed until 10.5.1.

13. An across the board speed increase of 35 - 40%. YMMV.

14. Font, Printer, and User Preference (.plist) repair routines are built-in and are schedulable.

15. Sherlock has been eliminated (use Widgets instead).

16. When Repairing Permissions, the “We are using special permissions…” will no longer be displayed. Finally!

17. Airport (Extreme only) will notify you via the airport icon flashing in the menu bar if your signal is being hijacked or used by anyone other than you authorized.

18. Startups, Restarts, & User Switching will be exactly as the User left the machine; open apps, window positions, network connections, etc. will all be reestablished.

19. Bundled with Leopard is a small app called “TrashBack”, a program to recover deleted files. Of course, the sooner one uses it after trashing the better.

20. Numerous (other) bug fixes, including a totally rewritten Spotlight.

Leopard will be previewed in June at the WWDC and released in early November.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Macanoid
Senior User
Apr 1, 2006, 11:32 AM

Sounds cool - wish it wasn't April 1st today though.

kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 11:53 AM

Nice and well-thought out suggestions. I'm down for most of them. Too bad it's all a joke And the WWDC is in August this year.

kman

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 12:49 PM

Ahh man I almost believed it till I saw the replies. You got me!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon
Leopard will be previewed in June at the WWDC and released in early November.
You're crappy at making things up.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2006, 01:21 PM

13. An across the board speed increase of 35 - 40%. YMMV.
<this space reserved for future use as a "debug code" joke>
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 03:16 PM

How snappy is it? How long until my Mac will do what I want it to do before I even think of it?

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 03:59 PM

That is about the worst "wish list" I've ever read. Who wants any of that stuff?

If Apple wasted time to make "Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSight, and iChat will become one integrated application" or "Terminal has balloons that will appear with alerts" I would be forced to save my dough until 10.6.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 04:19 PM

wait...so you're saying this ISN'T an april fool thing?
and that 10.5 will be out before 10.6?

but apple being bought out by mattel....that story IS true...

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 04:21 PM

1. Leopard supports OS 9.x, as is done with Tiger, but OS 8 and earlier will not be officially supported. Legacy apps may still work, but Apple just won’t support them.
Some of those items sound sort of quarter way plausible, maybe (actually, not really), but the very first one exposed this April Fool's post for what it is. Read that item 1, above -- it makes no sense at all. What does OS 8 have to do with Tiger or Leopard or anything? So after that first item, I knew this was a joke.

I had a better laugh -- I told my wife and daughter this morning that the car (her car) was missing from the driveway. For about ten, tortuous, precious seconds they thought it had been stolen, until I couldn't hide my smile.

I was going to do something goofy to the Macs that they use but I was too lazy and too busy at work this week to put in the necessary effort. Oh well.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 04:21 PM

11. Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSight, and iChat will become one integrated application, much like Entourage (but better). Included is a customizable Auto Responder and voice activated dialing via numbers or Address Book names. You will be able to automatically send email & initiate iSight meetings, etc. that are linked/pegged to specific calendar events. This feature is called AutoPilot (see #6 above).
Worst idea EVER.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 04:29 PM

On a side note: Apple doesn't support OS 9 or OS 8 currently... it supports Classic in OS X (which is said to run OS 9 applications... and only on the PPC) http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

I wouldn't be surprised if Leopard dropped that as well.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 04:33 PM

21. Leopard will also include "Mr. Clip" a paperclip styled personal assistant that will pop up from time to time to ask what you are doing. An example is "are you typing?" "It looks like you want to write an email" "it looks like you are surfing the web"

Currently, Mr. Clip doesn't really help you... but future versions may include helpful tips and clues.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
21. Leopard will also include "Mr. Clip" a paperclip styled personal assistant that will pop up from time to time to ask what you are doing. An example is "are you typing?" "It looks like you want to write an email" "it looks like you are surfing the web"

Currently, Mr. Clip doesn't really help you... but future versions may include helpful tips and clues.

i already have this in 10.4.5, although mr. clip tends to pop up on my physical desk, and sometimes when i'm not even near the computer at all (except on medication days)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 05:59 PM

Are you sure that's not Clippy the Cun†, who's taking a vacation from Microshaft's Orifice?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 06:12 PM

The Mac OS is now called OS X. So your thread title should be "Leopard, OS X 10.5 Revealed".

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 1, 2006, 11:09 PM

kick52
Baninated
Apr 2, 2006, 09:13 AM

i would like to buy leopard when it comes out. im running 10.3.9 and i wanted to get tiger, but if leopard is in june, im getting that.

also, about the Mac OS X is now called OS X thing, i hope not. or only as an abbreviation.

it would look crappy if you turn on your mac and see

"OS X 10.5"
Welcome to Macintosh.

because it doesnt have Mac in it, and anyway, apple wants its products to have the word mac in (like the macbookpro)

im against the OS X thing. anyway, isnt there some other OS that is called OS 2?

great gag bout the clip thing.
did anyone see 2dTV a couple of years back?

Bill gates is writing an email on his box and the clip comes up and says "it looks like your writing an email. do you want any help?" he closes it and says he wants a snack. he walks over to the fridge and the clip pops out of the com and follows him. it says "it looks like your fixing up a snack. do you want any help?" he runs to his car and is driving away, but the clip follows. he jumps out and starts writing a note. the clip asks "it looks like your writing a suicide note, do you want any help?" he runs to the edge of a cliff, and the clip asks, "it looks like your trying to commit suicide" then, a load of people jump from every where and ask "do you want any help?!?"

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
That is about the worst "wish list" I've ever read. Who wants any of that stuff?

If Apple wasted time to make "Mail, Address Book, iCal, iSight, and iChat will become one integrated application"...I would be forced to save my dough until 10.6.
I've wanted a Palm Desktop replacement for years. This would be sweet!

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
...did anyone see 2dTV a couple of years back?

Bill gates is writing an email on his box and the clip comes up and says "it looks like your writing an email. do you want any help?" he closes it and says he wants a snack. he walks over to the fridge and the clip pops out of the com and follows him. it says "it looks like your fixing up a snack. do you want any help?" he runs to his car and is driving away, but the clip follows. he jumps out and starts writing a note. the clip asks "it looks like your writing a suicide note, do you want any help?" he runs to the edge of a cliff, and the clip asks, "it looks like your trying to commit suicide" then, a load of people jump from every where and ask "do you want any help?!?"
That Clippy thing creeps me out. I once saw a faked error window that said "Your mouse has been moved. Windows will now restart in order for the changes to take effect."

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 10:08 AM

2. During the Leopard install, you are given the option to create specific partitioning to accommodate M$ Vista and Linux. Reformatting your HD is not required. Depending on your processor and RAM, all OS’s can run simultaneously & independently. A (minimum) 150 GB HD is required (250 GB is recommended), and 2 GB RAM (minimum) should you wish to run more than one OS. Dual processors are required for optimum performance, though this may change in 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.
Hmmmm.....

Apple Boot Camp allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac, and once installation is complete, users can restart their computer to run either Mac OS X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major release of Mac OS X, that will be previewed at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference in August.

Boot Camp simplifies Windows installation on an Intel-based Mac by providing a simple graphical step-by-step assistant application to dynamically create a second partition on the hard drive for Windows, to burn a CD with all the necessary Windows drivers, and to install Windows from a Windows XP installation CD. After installation is complete, users can choose to run either Mac OS X or Windows when they restart their computer.

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Boot Camp burns a CD with all the Mac-specific drivers for Windows:

* Graphics
* Networking
* Audio
* AirPort wireless
* Bluetooth
* The Eject key (on Apple keyboards)
* Brightness control for built-in displays

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

If you are not under an NDA why can't you talk about the PDA?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
Hmmmm.....
Really starting to wonder now, eh?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
If you are not under an NDA why can't you talk about the PDA?
Are you blind or dumb?

"My Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Apple precludes me from revealing proprietary detail, but because most, if not all, of this is posted elsewhere and is commonly available, I have no problems with confirming the following. Still, please don’t quote me."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff 2.0
Are you blind or dumb?

"My Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Apple precludes me from revealing proprietary detail, but because most, if not all, of this is posted elsewhere and is commonly available, I have no problems with confirming the following. Still, please don’t quote me."
You want to show me where else that info is "commonly available"?

Idiot

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff 2.0
Really starting to wonder now, eh?
Your prediction was that the computer would run many systems simultaneously, while this is just a pseudo-supported method of installing Windows. The vague resemblance between the two is hardly striking.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 04:20 PM

150GB minimum? No way that's the real Leopard config. The biggest drive available in ANY portable mac is 120.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 05:52 PM

Well it made me laugh four days ago

Ilgaz
Apr 5, 2006, 06:29 PM

It is an april 1 joke, ok but don't give Apple some "freaky" ideas like removing Sherlock.

Apple has some unexplainable obsession with widgets for a reason I don't know and Sherlock could be victim.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 06:32 PM

I think losing Sherlock wouldn't cause anyone to lose a tear.

I mean the only reason I use it is for movie listings but I would rather have a widget anyway.

Ilgaz
Apr 5, 2006, 06:42 PM

There are people on this planet liking to use Sherlock and not having even a "keyboard shortcut" or "icon" for "Dashboard".

You know, they are Apple customers too. They pay same $140 as "dashboard" loving people.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 12:11 AM

Man, pendragon is such a loser.

A tad bit more originality would be less pathetic.

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 09:03 AM

Yes, my post re “Leopard, OS 10.5 Revealed” was indeed an April Fool’s Day joke. All of it was made (up) of whole cloth, and as many have noted, is replete with errors.

To the extent that any of it comes to pass, is merely coincidence or a good guess; such as: “When Repairing Permissions, the “We are using special permissions…” will no longer be displayed.”

To the extent that some had a bit of a laugh, so much the better. To those who are insulted, offended, outraged, or P.O.’d, truly, my apologies.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Ilgaz
Apr 6, 2006, 09:51 AM

Hi Pendragon,

No misunderstanding, it is a great joke. We are just a bit mad to some other stories around, they are pathetic jokes by Apple themselves

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 10:50 AM

Thank god it is a joke. I was all disappointed as to how crappy it sounded.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Your prediction was that the computer would run many systems simultaneously, while this is just a pseudo-supported method of installing Windows. The vague resemblance between the two is hardly striking.
My prediction? Where did I say such a thing?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
You want to show me where else that info is "commonly available"?

Idiot
Uhh... let's see, why don't you stay on topic? You said "you're not under an NDA..." and I posted a quote of where he said he was. Then you go rambling off about who knows what... yes, I see where I'm the idiot now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 01:23 PM

This April Fool's joke backfired when pendragon's sense of humor intersected with reality. I just find it funny that SWG didn't get it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
This April Fool's joke backfired when pendragon's sense of humor intersected with reality. I just find it funny that SWG didn't get it.
Where in the world did you see me take it serious? I was pointing out how obvious it was by saying he was spilling the beans on leopard but stop short at saying anything on a PDA.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:55 PM

damn, I really belived Safari was going to get 37% faster.
Everything feels 37% slower now.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 09:54 AM

that mouse thing is great, thanks cgc.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 12:02 PM

I do like the idea of having Windows and OS X both running at once in separate parts of the processor with the ability to switch between them at will.

Someone SHOULD have edited the title first thing April 2nd so people wouldn't still be falling for this.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
I do like the idea of having Windows and OS X both running at once in separate parts of the processor with the ability to switch between them at will.

Someone SHOULD have edited the title first thing April 2nd so people wouldn't still be falling for this.
That's already possible now with Parallels Workstation.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 10:13 PM

Question: Can Parallels use the partition with XP on it that was installed by Boot Camp? In other words, can Parallels use the partition.. actually, I can't word it any better.

I guess what I mean is can someone with an Intel Mac have that second partition with the bootable Windows, but then be able to boot into OS X and use Parallels to load Windows from that partition as well? Or is Parallels like Virtual PC and boots from a disk image?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
damn, I really belived Safari was going to get 37% faster.
Everything feels 37% slower now.
Safari will be quite a bit faster, I can confirm that

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Safari will be quite a bit faster, I can confirm that
depending on what machine! my ibook is soo filled with stuff, that virtual memory has trouble working properly!! it's now very unsnappy....!!! And I don't see things getting better with larger universal code around... and more pictures and songs added to my iphoto and itunes library!

(hi catfish_man!)

My prediction for 10.5:

it will be better than vista... and that won't be a question of personal taste!!
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 04:24 AM

I got an actual tip off of a very real and neat feature of Leopard

I get in trouble if I tell yous.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:07 PM. )

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
Question: Can Parallels use the partition with XP on it that was installed by Boot Camp? In other words, can Parallels use the partition.. actually, I can't word it any better.

I guess what I mean is can someone with an Intel Mac have that second partition with the bootable Windows, but then be able to boot into OS X and use Parallels to load Windows from that partition as well? Or is Parallels like Virtual PC and boots from a disk image?
That is not possible. Parallels is like VPC (but of course much faster) and boots from a disk image.

So if you want both virtualization and dual-booting right now, you have to install Windows twice.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bouba
depending on what machine! my ibook is soo filled with stuff, that virtual memory has trouble working properly!! it's now very unsnappy....!!! And I don't see things getting better with larger universal code around... and more pictures and songs added to my iphoto and itunes library!
Nah, it'll still be faster than 10.4's Safari is. "faster" does not mean "fast".

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
That is not possible. Parallels is like VPC (but of course much faster) and boots from a disk image.

So if you want both virtualization and dual-booting right now, you have to install Windows twice.
That sucks. It's pointless. The circle will not be complete until one can install Windows on a partition and run it from both a real boot up and a virtual boot from within OS X. THAT would be the only way to achieve perfection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules