Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > mighty mouse

mighty mouse
Marco338
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 02:45 AM

I am completely frustrated with my apple wireless mighty mouse...The scroll buttons randomly stops functioning; At times it only goes vertical and horizontal--then it fixes itself...Now I have been stuck with it only able to scroll vertically, in the up direction only...I have installed new batteries, cleaned the scroll ball...

If I take it to a mac store, will they replace/troubleshoot it there? If so, do you need the receipt, to show it is less than a year old, I believe it has a 1 year warranty also, correct???
( Last edited by Marco338; Mar 4, 2007 at 02:53 AM. )

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 09:19 AM

I took one to the Apple store in Indianapolis once with similar problems and they just smiled and gave me a new one. But I bet that depends on who you talk to. Try it is the only thing I can suggest.

Marco338  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 01:59 AM

Well, I tried and was semi-successful. I drove two hours to my "local" Apple Store...had to wait an hour to meet a genius, then the guy confirmed in 2 minutes that my scroll ball was not functioning...He then proceeds to go to the stock room to see if he had a mighty mouse in "stock"...even though they were a few on the sales floor he comes back and says that he doesn't have any in stock!!! I guess he wanted to replace my mouse with a used/refurbished one, so then he mentions to me that I had two options: 1.: he is going to order a mighty mouse for me and I can then come back and pick it up. 2: or go home call Apple Care and they will send me a new one!!..

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tomrock View Post
I took one to the Apple store in Indianapolis once with similar problems and they just smiled and gave me a new one. But I bet that depends on who you talk to. Try it is the only thing I can suggest.
Neat! I live in Indy, too.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2007, 12:38 PM

Call applecare and they mail you a new one. What is so complicated about that and why would you rather drive for 2 hours?

amnotdonly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 09:46 PM

I use an optical mouse... it's less troublesome since there's no scroll ball on it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by amnotdonly View Post
I use an optical mouse... it's less troublesome since there's no scroll ball on it.
Huh?

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 01:00 PM

my mighty wireless mouse's ball got all messed up and I found a hint on the web that fixed it.

you take the mouse and turn it upside down, then run the ball back and forth on your leg for awhile.. quickly. This cleans out the crap in there and then it works again.

but mine doesn't have a functional right click button, so i had to make it so the '3rd" button is the right click, which works ok i guess, but it's annoying.

I suffered for weeks without the damn thing being able to right click. Maybe i'll call them up and get a new one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules