Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HORRIFING DISCOVERY! NEW thermal paste problem : (

HORRIFING DISCOVERY! NEW thermal paste problem : (
blackice168
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 10:56 PM

Well, I've been a long term windows user. I was recently in the market for a new laptop and loved the looks of the black macbook. Did a bit of research and found out about boot camp etc. I also realized there was a problem with macbook pros regarding too much thermal paste on the processor. I didn't find any information about this on macbooks so i thought i was safe.

I bought my macbook last week and yesterday i decided to see how easily it was to take the ram out. ( i was planning on upgrading my 1gb to 2gb in the near future). To my disbelief i discovered thermal paste slathered ALL OVER THE CONTACTS OF BOTH MEMORY MODULES I'm planning to take it into an Apple store and see what can be done. Anyone know what they might do for me?

Pictures below: Sorry they're not great. They're from my camera phone.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 11:04 PM

Are you sure it's thermal paste? I heard they use some sort of gel in the factory to lubricate the RAM for easy installation.

blackice168  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 11:14 PM

i hope so. I haven't found any information on it online. I've never seen anything like this before. It looks and feels like thermal compound.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 03:38 PM

You'll find mention of it in at least six threads on this forum.

All MacBooks since at least last summer have that paste on their memory modules.

Normal.

Edit: OMG HORRIFING DISCO! TEH SKYY IF FALLING!

blackice168  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 10:41 PM

After reading your reply i tried looking further into this. I haven't found any information about this on the fourm. I have used the search. Would anyone mind directing me to these threads? I find it strange to have any kind of paste on the computer other than on the stuff under heatsinks. I've never heard of anything placed on contacts

Marco338
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 02:59 AM

Here is some information found from another site:

article 1

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 04:22 AM

OMG!

Heh, it's lube... no biggy.

When you replace the sticks there should be enough left on the slots to slide the new Ram in without the need to add more.

I tried finding my old "what's this white stuff?" thread but it seems to have been vaporised, I contacted Apple about it, it's just to help with assembly and upgrades and doesn't affect anything in an adverse way.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 06:18 AM

Yes, that is not uncommon. I've seen it on lots of MacBooks and it has not caused any problems to my knowledge.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 04:02 AM

I did notice that it was a LOT easier to install RAM into my new C2D MacBook. That same RAM modules were very hard to insert in my older MacBook.

maximage
Jun 19, 2007, 07:16 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules