Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard installation - package verification, users, archive & install issues

Leopard installation - package verification, users, archive & install issues
Marco338
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 01:41 AM

So, I decided to pony up the money and buy leopard...Then I ran into problems...My first attempt to upgrade failed saying that "essentials can not be installed...So, it asked me to reboot and try to re-install. Once again, install failed saying that it could not "verity java." So I waited about an hour and tried for a third time and luckily this time Leopard was installed successfully..However...

I then came to a new problem, I could not log in using my password...it was not recognizing my password..So, I researched if this had happened before and some advised to change the password. I followed the instructions and reset my password, however now I have not been able to get my macbook to load to the password box...So, I inserted the leopard disk and was going to do an "Archive and Install" however, I did not proceed because it won't let me check to "preserve User and Network Settings." I don't want to lose any of my files, cause it has been a while since I back up my hard-drive...What should I do??? Please Help!!!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 02:52 AM

Hi Marco, if you have another mac on hand then connect it via firewire, boot your broken mac into target disk mode (search mac help), this will show the disk of the broken mac on your other computer and allow you to copy your files over.

Then completely reformat the broken computer and do a fresh install.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 05:49 AM

Did you allow it to verify the Install Disk, or did you skip that part?

Because it's important.

Marco338  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 02:39 PM

Yes, the Installation DVD was verified each time....I am currently on the phone with apple support...So, lets see what happens next....thanks for the replies/help...

kingofbongo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 04:57 AM

How exactly is the disc verification (which takes ages) important? From my experiences it hardly seems relevant...

I tried reinstalling Leopard on my new Macbook last night - someone'd suggested it to me to fix a problem I was having with the proxy server at work. Installation started ok, disc verification pops up and I skip it. After 3-4% into the installation I get an "Installation Failed" message saying my DVD is broken.

So I go again, reboot, restart the installation and this time let the verification process takes its course (hoping it will give me a more informative message when it discovers the error). Only it reports nothing at all, the disc passes verification and the installation starts again - only to crash out at 3-4% again.

Already starting to regret upgrading my old iBook to be honest. A fresh install giving me nothing but grief trying to connect to our fairly standard proxy (a problem Tiger never experienced) and shoddy install media provided with a brand new laptop...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by kingofbongo View Post
How exactly is the disc verification (which takes ages) important? From my experiences it hardly seems relevant...
Because a damaged disk WILL RESULT IN A RUINED INSTALLATION.

Duh.

And before you shout "That's unpossible!", that's exactly what happened to an acquaintance of mine: He re-installed the damn Tiger OS three times, and every time, the same obscure function (I forget what exactly it was) refused to work after the installation.

I'd already asked him after the FIRST failed install whether he'd skipped the "verifying install disk" process. After the THIRD failed install, he came back and told me that he'd just now allowed the disk verification for the first time, and it had failed.

Double duh.

kingofbongo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 10:23 AM

Fair enough - however I let the verification process run, it didn't pick up on any errors whatsoever yet 4% into the actual installation it fails claiming my disk - who 's just been given a full bill of health - is now suddenly damaged.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 12:57 PM

the install disk? or the disk installed upon?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 01:12 PM

I'd try installing on a different drive. That would narrow the possibilities down quickly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kingofbongo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 11:10 AM

It says the installation media ... Anyway went back to the shop and they've sent for a replacement DVD. They were kind enough to give me a Leopard DVD but unfortunately gave me an upgrade DVD (and guess what: no Tiger dvd at home :-) ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules