Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Analog TV and the elderly

Analog TV and the elderly
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 12:34 PM

So, apparently there's this large outcry about how the loss of the analog TV signal is going to hurt the elderly. The poor elderly that have known for FOUR YEARS that this was going to happen.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but if TV is so important to your life, and you knew this was coming, then why did you NOT apply for a government coupon to get a free converter box, and any did you NOT save up a little bit over the course of the last four years for a converter box? They're $40 at Walmart. That's not a lot. If these people would not flock to Atlantic City or not buy crap just ONCE, they'd have the money for the converter box.

And here's the epic fail: an article in the NYT about how terrible it is for this poor woman that she can't get her favorite shows.

But...

Look at the picture and read the article. Apparently she has enough money for a new stereo and music, but boo ho on losing her analog signal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/ar...s.html?_r=1&hp

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 12:36 PM

That stereo looks about ten years old.

Also, old people don't do technology. Depending on how old they are, perhaps it should be up to their children or caretakers to make sure they don't get cut off. My grandma, for instance, has cable in her apartment, so she doesn't have to worry. But I did make sure to ask her about it a few months ago so if I did have to get her a coupon for a converter box, I could do it for her.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2009, 12:41 PM

And my dad made sure to get his mom and converter box. I actually might end up needed one. I'm moving to my own place, which means I'll be without a TV. My sister and her husband are considering giving me their 36" analog TV and replacing it with another LCD. I won't get cable, so I might need a converter box. Good thing my dad got a couple extra.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2009, 02:35 PM

The gov should have mandated that the major networks broadcast an analog signal with an 800 number or recorded explanation of what happened for the 60 days following Feb 17th.

It would solve any issues for the clueless people who didn't understand what was happening and it wouldn't have cost the networks that much.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
...old people don't do technology. Depending on how old they are, perhaps it should be up to their children or caretakers to make sure they don't get cut off.
Bingo.

Regardless of how many times they've heard the warnings, the elderly are incredibly frightened of messing with the technology in their homes. Those with children or grandchildren should be helped by their family members. Many areas (mine included) offer discounts which bring the price of a converter box to $10. It would be a relatively painless transition with the help of their family.

However, those without family members to help them are going to be in a world of hurt.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 03:29 PM

I forgot to add...

Has anyone else noticed that digital signals have less range than the analog ones? I've heard many complain already that when they installed their converter box and went digital that the channel signal strength from several networks dropped significantly.

And is there anything more annoying than the pixelated freezing of a bad digital signal?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I forgot to add...

Has anyone else noticed that digital signals have less range than the analog ones? I've heard many complain already that when they installed their converter box and went digital that the channel signal strength from several networks dropped significantly.

And is there anything more annoying than the pixelated freezing of a bad digital signal?
As opposed to the horrendous diagonal lines or banding of a bad analog signal?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
As opposed to the horrendous diagonal lines or banding of a bad analog signal?
No, no...in places where an analog signal was perfectly clear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for digital TV...but if they can't make the signal reach the places that an analog signal could, then why bother?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 03:47 PM

Living in the world hurts the elderly.

I agree that this switchover is probably going to suck for a lot of them, what the hell are you gonna do? It has to happen, so just do it already. Nothing is going to make the elderly ready. Just pull the plug and let them freak out. It will all work out. If the worst thing that happens is they lose out on a week of Wheel of Fortune, well, then that's just the price we have to pay.

EDIT: And uh, yeah. That's the kind of stereo I had in high school 20 years ago. It was a $100 dollar budget model even back then.

PS: I'm also a bad person, because I applied for the coupons and got myself two boxes even though I don't need them. I figured that I might at some point down the road and I might as well buy them at a discount now.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 03:48 PM

I don't have a solution, but I wouldn't give up on HDTV altogether because it can't bounce off mountains 100 miles away like old analog signals could.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 04:07 PM

I'm probably the only one on this board without cable or satellite, but TV isn't that big a deal to me. I get a FOX station and ABC and CBS fairly well on rabbit ears, but it is often a bit "snowy". I haven't got a converter yet, but I suspect I might have to get an external antenna... which I rather not do. I should probably see if I can borrow one before I invest in a converter or a new TV and/or a new antenna. I might be screwed.

If anyone has gone through this conversion, tell me how it went.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 04:10 PM

I forgot to add...

Yep.

The major noticeable differences between analog TV (which they switched off a couple of years ago over here) and digital broadcast are a) analog TV had full coverage - digital is still very spotty outside of urban areas (and is only *slowly* filling the gaps), and b) the analog image quality was drastically better for nearly all channels (even worse on stupid private TV - they're skimping on bandwidth - ugh!). The big push for digital over-the-air was during the Football World Cup '06, and it was downright embarrassing watching a small white dot DISAPPEAR into artefacts as it flew across the field.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 04:11 PM

Just another reason to hate the elderly.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 04:30 PM

When the flocks of old people spill out into the streets, confused and disorientated from a lack of TV, we can round them up in vans to use as an endless supply of aged combatants for use in settling the pointless arguments of self-entitled internet message board posters.

How many 90 year olds can you take??? It's up or shut up time...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 04:31 PM

it's going to be like a zombie apocalypse.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 04:42 PM

It's gonna be a bad time to be a waiter at Bob Evans.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 04:44 PM

Country Kitchen Buffet could probably increase revenue by carrying those local stations

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2009, 05:01 PM

Define "elderly". I'm 62, retired, and have no problems with technology.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme; 4 Gb RAM
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 05:02 PM

This thread just got even better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by NickelLessNick View Post
Define "elderly". I'm 62, retired, and have no problems with technology.
Are you writing this from your Packard Bell?

Just kidding. I actually commend you. But no, I wouldn't consider you elderly. My parents are both at the 60 mark, and they don't act elderly at all.

NoDiggity
Baninated
Jan 29, 2009, 05:06 PM

Old people are stupid. They drive too slow, they don't pay attention, and then stuff like this.

Whatever. I have no pity for them.

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2009, 05:11 PM

Gee, NoDiggity, you've just demonstrated the stupidity of young people.
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

finboy
Jan 29, 2009, 05:17 PM

However, those without family members to help them are going to be in a world of hurt.
Just another example of the "hidden costs" of lobbyists'-- we're not replacing analog for any 'real' reason, but to sell the bandwidth. I know, I've heard the "911" reason, but that's hooey and we all know it. This is being done to prop up cable TV plain and simple, and drive smaller stations out of business. Pretty pathetic.

Another example, too, of something that is disproportionately harmful to the weakest in society. In this case, that's people with older technology. What a freaking boondoggle.

Another thing: The $40 coupon works for the converters that sell for $19.99 elsewhere. Boondoggle.

Finally, so far digital signal properties are for sh*t compared to analog. A lot of people are going to be really pissed off about this in a few weeks.

Rumor
Jan 29, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'm probably the only one on this board without cable or satellite, but TV isn't that big a deal to me. I get a FOX station and ABC and CBS fairly well on rabbit ears, but it is often a bit "snowy". I haven't got a converter yet, but I suspect I might have to get an external antenna... which I rather not do. I should probably see if I can borrow one before I invest in a converter or a new TV and/or a new antenna. I might be screwed.

I just got cable about a month ago. Went about four years without it. The only reason I got it: It was cheaper to get internet and tv than just internet alone.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 05:20 PM

I forgot to add...

Analog signals are nearly unwatchable here in Indy. Tons of snow and static in the audio. I picked up double the amount of stations with the digital converters I got at Radio Shack (while also picking up some sweet supplies for my time machine).

Seriously, I get about 26 digital channels with just a set of rabbit ears.

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2009, 05:21 PM

Same here: $55 for internet + cable TV.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post

1. You unplug your antenna to the TV
b. Plug the antenna wire into the converter box
3. Plug the converter box into the TV
4. Plug both into AC outlet, turn on converter box and TV
5. ?????
6. PROFIT!!!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yep.

The major noticeable differences between analog TV (which they switched off a couple of years ago over here) and digital broadcast are a) analog TV had full coverage - digital is still very spotty outside of urban areas (and is only *slowly* filling the gaps), and b) the analog image quality was drastically better for nearly all channels (even worse on stupid private TV - they're skimping on bandwidth - ugh!). The big push for digital over-the-air was during the Football World Cup '06, and it was downright embarrassing watching a small white dot DISAPPEAR into artefacts as it flew across the field.
Not in the USA!!!

I went from hating watching hockey in SD to almost being able to read the text on the hockey puck as it flies on the screen in HD. The amount of detail is gasp inducing. Actually the detail is a bit too much for some actresses here as some of them have asked in their contracts that the focus is a bit softer when they are on screen.

So far the only time I have seen artifacting is on PBS stations.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
(while also picking up some sweet supplies for my time machine).
Ha!

That must be awful when trying to watch Zoom! or Arthur.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 05:44 PM

Not in the USA!!!

I went from hating watching hockey in SD to almost being able to read the text on the hockey puck as it flies on the screen in HD. The amount of detail is gasp inducing. Actually the detail is a bit too much for some actresses here as some of them have asked in their contracts that the focus is a bit softer when they are on screen.

These digital conversion boxes have nothing to do with HD. That's a different beast altogether.

I'm with you on HD hockey though. It's night and day. My local team shows half the games in HD and half in SD. The SD games feel like I'm watching a youtube video or something. It's really bad.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
These digital conversion boxes have nothing to do with HD. That's a different beast altogether.
I am talking about on the HD TV I have. I don't watch my SD TVs, my wife uses one for our exercise room and we have one SD TV in our guest room.
I'm with you on HD hockey though. It's night and day. My local team shows half the games in HD and half in SD. The SD games feel like I'm watching a youtube video or something. It's really bad.
I don't watch sports unless they are in HD anymore.

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2009, 06:04 PM

All nonsense. Germany has switched to digitally broadcasted TV a few years back and even my 90-year old grandmother can use it. It's a bit of a hassle, because you got two remotes instead of one, but that's about it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 06:28 PM

The only major problems I can think of is that the old TVs from the 70s won't have SCART sockets and the roof aerials might need to be upgraded. I'm assuming all of these conversion boxes require the use of SCART? Ours in the United Kingdom do.

I got my DTV box back in 2003 worked flawlessly after getting a better aerial.
I just moved house - this has the most weird and messed up aerial system - I'll work it out sometime.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 06:46 PM

This is 'merica... we ain't got no damn SCARTS.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 06:57 PM

I agree that this switchover is probably going to suck for a lot of them, what the hell are you gonna do? It has to happen, so just do it already. Nothing is going to make the elderly ready. Just pull the plug and let them freak out. It will all work out. If the worst thing that happens is they lose out on a week of Wheel of Fortune, well, then that's just the price we have to pay.
Yeah, if we gave people another 3 months like some are talking about, then people would still be freaking out in June. We've just got to pull the plug now and let God sort 'em out.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 06:58 PM

OK - I failed miserably on that point then.

Do I get a point for the roof aerial part?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 07:02 PM

Giving people extra time is like Microsoft giving more time for XP Pro. I started the switch to Vista and other OSes - and then bam - XP is available for longer... and longer. In some ways it's good, in others it's just a pain because it's delaying the inevitable even more.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
OK - I failed miserably on that point then.

Do I get a point for the roof aerial part?
Nope. Well, in 99% of homes... nope.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2009, 07:11 PM

This is 'merica... we ain't got no damn SCARTS.
Third world country then. You people don't even spell English words properly.

And thats Good Night from me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 07:15 PM

I went to Target, bought a converter, and went to my grandmother's house. Combined with showing her how to use it, it took about 90 minutes. Just take care of your family and do this.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 07:17 PM

My grandparents have had cable for longer than I've been alive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2009, 07:18 PM

I think that's true for my grandparents too. However, my grandmother's cousin, who is in her seventies, had a black and white TV until last year!

I agree that people have had ample time to upgrade. President Obama wanted to extend the deadline and throw more coupons out there, which makes precious little sense. Those who can't upgrade will have to go back to the radio - at least until they cut analog radio broadcasting out too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
All nonsense. Germany has switched to digitally broadcasted TV a few years back and even my 90-year old grandmother can use it. It's a bit of a hassle, because you got two remotes instead of one, but that's about it.
My $40 box (free after rebate card) that I picked up at Radio Shack (more TM parts ) also functions as a universal remote for our TV. One remote turns on the TV, adjust volume, and changes the channels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules