Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > adding USB 2 card?

adding USB 2 card?
smokin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 10:09 PM

Hello,

I have a G4 AGP 350MHz machine with OS X 10.3.5. I installed a firewire/USB 2 card in my old 7300 machine for firewire access. I have since bought a compact flash card reader which has a USB connection. I switched the firewire/usb 2 card to the G4 machine.

But, up until now, I have not been able to get USB 2 speeds. I have a USB 1 compact flash card reader and I tested them both with file tranfsers and the same speed.

I was under the impression that as long as you have X 10.2, USB 2 is supporeted. I called the card manufacturer, and they were able to walk me through the system info, and the G4 sees the 'high speed USB bus'. So, it is not the hardware.

Anyway, I look forward to any help. I am at a loss.

Joseph

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 10:42 PM

i have the same issue, but i think mine can be traced down to the fact that my printer (hp 1012) is usb 2.0 full speed but not usb 2.0 hi speed. sleazy.

http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

from my system profiler, i forget which card i have, it was ~$20 at buy.com
USB High-Speed Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Computer, Inc.
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Product ID: 32774 ($8006)
Bus Power (mA): 500
along with:
hp LaserJet 1012:

Vendor Name: Hewlett-Packard
Product ID: 3351 ($d17)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Serial Number: 00CNFB560752
Bus Power (mA): 500
despite hp's deceptive wording of "USB (compatible with USB 2.0 specifications)"

Forum Links
Forum Rules