Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Have Road Rage

I Have Road Rage
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:28 AM

Today I realized that I HATE driving.

Why?

Because people are stupid, that's why.

They do not follow the traffic rules or laws. They drive like they are watching television (and probably are - with one of the built-in television screens) on the sofa at home. They don't use their turn signals and frequently weave back and forth across two or three lanes.

Pet peeve?

When they are making a turn they feel the need to veer WAY out into another lane to make that turn. And they usually do it without a turn signal on.

Today I was out driving to the bank and I suddenly realized that I was gritting my teeth and my knuckles were white on the steering wheel. I was resisting the urge to honk my horn. Flip my brights on. Even flip people off. I never flip people off - I was shocked at how upset I was.

As if that's not bad enough, then there are the road ragers. You know, the ones who actually drive like asses and break road rules and endanger lives and then leer at you with the whites of their eyes showing when you glare at them. The ones who drive 4 inches from your bumper. The ones who pass on the right on the shoulder when you're doing 75mph in a 70mph zone on the freeway. The ones who cut you off for no reason at all.

The sad thing? Road rage is infectious. I think I have it because here I am: I'm sitting at home and venting about my driving experiences on an online forum.

I'm still pissed off over the person who veered out from the right in his 70s piece o' crap 4-door paintless sedan to cut across three lanes, placing himself directly in front of me, in order to make a quickie U-turn with no turn signals on a double yellow line (no U-turns allowed).

Then there was the grandpa and grandma who were driving 30mph in a 45mph zone and are completely oblivious to reality around them and as I watched they drove through a flaming red stoplight.

Then there are the people who manage to squeeze into a 10-foot space in front of you in order to beat you to the next red light in city traffic. Yes, why do they care that you have a carload of children and a baby in the car that could be hurt because they slam into your car or hit someone else who then slams into your vehicle?

Yes, this morning I was a perfectly calm and sensible driver.

Now I'm just plain pissed off. Still. I have become one of those people that I despise: A road rager. You know, one of those people that drive with hatred on their faces and try to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I am now one of those people that I formerly despised.

Is there a Road Rage Anonymous club?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 01:29 AM

Ca$h?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 01:32 AM

I just think it is Florida drivers.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 01:37 AM

Next time somebody is 4 inches from your rear bumper, slam on your brakes really hard. The driver who rear-ends another car is always presumed to be at fault.
On second thought, only do this if the car behind you is very expensive (and not too big). That way, you can be reasonably sure of getting a nice fat settlement from his insurance company. Hell, you can even sue the SOB!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 01:42 AM

no no, Minneapolis is horrible. The on ramps on the hi-way lead directly into the offramps after a few hundred yards so traffic on the hi way comes to a complete stand still as the dumb a$$es atempt to merge. People in this state are too nice to drive, they are not aggressive enough and sit still waiving other people to go. I have to deal with this every day as I go to work. It pisses me off, but the best relief is finally getting home and playing some Rage Against the Machine real loud. Its quite the anger therapy, I recommend it.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:46 AM

You just mentioned another HATED pet peeve: People who do not know how to freaking MERGE.

WHY?

Why don't they know how to merge? ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS A SPECIAL MERGE LANE THAT GOES FOR HALF A FREAKING MILE?

They just STOP and SIT there for some reason. THERE IS AN EMPTY LANE IN FRONT OF THEM.

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
The sad thing? Road rage is infectious. I think I have it because here I am: I'm sitting at home and venting about my driving experiences on an online forum.
Road rage is also temporary. At times it has seemes that half the drivers on the road were inconsiderate and ignored the rules, or common courtesy at the very least, and then there was this one person, the last straw, who makes you think or possibly act out, "Well, what about me? I'm on the road, too? How do YOU like it?"

Such thing tend to come in bunches, and then there can be weeks or months or even years when the majority of drivers seem sane. And that's when you see the Highway Patrol has pulled someone over on the side of the road, and you feel vindicated being one of the sane ones on the highway, and are reminded that perhaps it isn't worth expressing a moment of temporary insanity.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 01:49 AM

I just drove from Jersey to Maryland this morning and had some similar experiences. I hate drivers that don't follow the rules of the road and I point out their mistakes whenever I can (flashing brights so they turn theirs on etc.). So there I was on the Turnpike going a bit over 70mph with everyone else when I saw a white ford van veer from the right lane off the road and then back on. I passed him and saw that the driver was reading a magazine. He was actually flipping through the pages and staying behind this white truck so he could see it out of the corner of his eye without looking up I presume. I was pissed off. I do not need my life put at risk so he can read at 65mph and wander around his lane. So I called #77 and reported him to the state police. Yes I am a dick like that, so if you see me on the road please follow the rules and drive safely.

Another pet peeve of mine is people that don't turn their lights on when their windshield wipers are on. Its the law in every state I have been to and its not that hard. I stopped a police car in Maryland to point this out to him and he said thanks and turned his lights on. But the point is that he of all people should have had them on to begin with.

OK, thanks for letting me vent with you.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 01:49 AM

Oh, and about the tailgaters and slamming on the brakes?

Tempting. VERY tempting.

But, I have children in the car. One of them a baby. But, man, I DO think about it, yes. Especially since I'm driving a Suburban and I'd like to see them give it a kiss on the big metal rear bumper with a nice trailer hitch jutting out.

<malicious grin>

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 17, 2005, 01:51 AM

Sounds like you could use a fruit basket to cheer you up

I feel your pain though. Luckily, where I'm living now, the drivers are surprisingly courteous, especially for a large metro area. I've done a lot of driving all over this country, and I'd rather drive anywhere except Wisconsin, especially around Madison. There are just way too many unskilled, inconsiderate and overly-aggressive drivers in that state. I believe Ca$h's hate for his fellow drivers in that state is well founded (although I'm sure he was part of that problem too )

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 01:52 AM

He who angers you conquers you.
-\
-/

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 02:06 AM

Sounds like you could use a fruit basket to cheer you up
ROFLMAO!

THAT was funny!

(Yeah, we had a big discussion about fruit baskets last night...it turned out well.)

I have, in my possession, a video of an @sshole who passed me going 90mph ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ON THE FREEWAY. That was from 2 months ago. Yes, I'm good like that: Able to video an @sshole while they do illegal things (I always have a camera ready to go and in this case it was a Sony). I sent a copy via registered mail to the owner of his company (he was driving a plumbing truck) and I actually wish I could put it up online someplace, but don't know how to do it.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 02:07 AM

Thanks Sugar_Coated. Interesting theory, though I don't know if it follows. I like the sentiment though.

I hate driving. And yes, I could theoretically enjoy it, but not with the other drivers. Disclaimer being I make mistakes as well, though not constantly, and I think about what I'm doing, I am actually a good driver. Problem is, I'm Almost-Killed about twice every morning and every evening by others. For example, when you follow behind another car (from a decent distance) which is going at the speed limit, and unbeknownst to you the traffic just ahead of it is at a standstill, there will be no braking or signal, only a last second unsignaled lanechange, leaving you with parked cars directly in front of you while going 70mph and with someone in the lane next to you.

I was concidering checking out some kind of course on how to drive an ambulence or firetruck. You learn to drive fast and agressively, true, but all of those drivers I know are never in accidents. I guess that when you're a speeding ambulence, and you meet up with all the people I've seen that ignore you, you must be trained in how to not hit them.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
I've done a lot of driving all over this country, and I'd rather drive anywhere except Wisconsin, especially around Madison.
You obviously haven't driven in Boston.
/mal

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 02:14 AM

Boston is very bad - especially those roundabouts.

You just have to jump in, step on the gas, and whiz around until you get enough courage to fling yourself off at the exit you want.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
I was concidering checking out some kind of course on how to drive an ambulence or firetruck. You learn to drive fast and agressively, true, but all of those drivers I know are never in accidents. I guess that when you're a speeding ambulence, and you meet up with all the people I've seen that ignore you, you must be trained in how to not hit them.
Did I mention that I drive an ambulance in Chicago? If you follow the rules you really shouldn't be speeding as much as you see some ambulances doing and driving with lights and sirens is difficult and requires an enormous amount of attention to the road. Ambulance drivers do get in accidents by the way as I have been involved in 4 of them myself (2 in the US and 2 in Israel), none were serious, but they do happen.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 17, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Nope, haven't been there yet. Always thought I'd like to visit, but maybe I'll take a bus

Not sure what Wisconsin's problem is. When most folk think of Wisconsin, images of cows, cheese, cold winters and mild-mannered Mid-western folk come to mind. My theory is that they have big-city-envy. They wish they could drive like the big-city folk, so they drive like they think big-city people do. And while you have to be able to be aggressive to drive in the big-city, just being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive is stupid and dangerous.

But it's just a theory

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 03:12 AM

Me? I love driving. City centre? Dig it. I don't think it takes aggression, you just have to be focused. Because driving is one of the few things in life that requires 100% of your concentration 100% of the time. Accept that people make mistakes and it's much easier to deal.

Two driving gripes. Tailgaters - utterly moronic, completely counter-productive. Gridlock - because it's boring! I'm sitting at a virtual standstill but I can't exactly pull out my Powerbook and do some work... Arrrggghhhh....

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 03:23 AM

Next time somebody is 4 inches from your rear bumper, slam on your brakes really hard. The driver who rear-ends another car is always presumed to be at fault.
On second thought, only do this if the car behind you is very expensive (and not too big). That way, you can be reasonably sure of getting a nice fat settlement from his insurance company. Hell, you can even sue the SOB!
indeed

However, I never get tailgated by someone driving something expensive (merc, bmw, volvo, etc) it's always some fsckface c*nt in a pos honda or pickup truck.

Hardly worth the trouble of slamming the brakes and getting hit.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 03:40 AM

Where can I upload 25mb of a tailgater harassing me and then passing me on the right shoulder so that everyone can watch it? Tried Yahoo and it has size limitations and no I don't have .Mac for $100.

Let me know and we can all watch it.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 05:01 AM

Where can I upload 25mb of a tailgater harassing me and then passing me on the right shoulder so that everyone can watch it? Tried Yahoo and it has size limitations and no I don't have .Mac for $100.

Use the .mac free trial?
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 05:15 AM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 06:55 AM

Try cycling. Then you will found out how bad people drive.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
Try cycling. Then you will found out how bad people drive.

I haven't been clipped yet, but most any cyclist who's been riding for very long that I know has been. Scary stuff. And people NEVER look before turning right at a new green light. There could be a freaking hologram of a big green walking guy, and people would drive right through it.

I enjoyed driving in Boston, but I was only there for a week. Chicago was really fun to drive in also, but it seems like everyone is going about 85, and the cars are way too close to each other - you drop back, and someone gets right in the spot you made for them. It was fun, but I would weary of it if I had to do it every day. Its basically: Lets all hope nobody slams on their brakes, or we're all screwed.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 08:00 AM

I have been hit 3 times .

Once was a side swipe which caused me to end up about 20 metres down the road after landing and rolling down the road - one broken scaffoid and little damage to bike (lucky).

Another time was a car deciding to use the cycle lane in rush hour traffic. Kicked in the front panel of his car and cycled down the road (liberating).

Taxi driver opening car door. Nearly ripped it off from the impact. Gash across chest from where I collided with the door (superficial wound).

After all this BS I am now super-aggressive cyclist. Many close calls, arguments with police officers (hypocrites), but not an accident since.

Touch wood.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 08:04 AM

"Anger, fear, agression. The dark side are they."

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 08:28 AM

I hate it when people speed through a school zone. One of these days, they're going to hit a little kid, and I hope I'm there to beat the living crap out of the driver when it happens.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

Kill the rage before the rage kills you.
-\
-/

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
Kill the rage before the rage kills you.
That was deep.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 09:53 AM

This happened to me once. There was a car glued to my ass and I had to turn left into an apartment complex. It was a 2 lane road, and I put on my left turn signal, but since there was a car coming toward me, I had to wait for it to pass. Apparently, the car behind me didn't notice my turn signal (or brake lights) and since they were too close behind me they didn't have time to stop.

I felt a little bump (I was driving an Expedition at the time, they were in a Contour) and before I could turn around and see what happened, I hear tires squealing and off to my right a Blazer was sliding off the road, thru the grass, and into a ditch. It hit a tree after taking out a phone junction box.

What happened was the Blazer was too close behind the Contour, hit it, and pushed it into me, but the Blazer driver swerved off the road trying to avoid everything. The driver of the Blazer was pretty shaken up and his car was totaled, but everyone else was alright. There wasn't a dent or scratch on my truck, although my trailer hitch caved in the front bumper of the Contour.

Anyway, the other drivers got tickets and lucky for me, I went on about my business. The whole thing could have been prevented if they had been just one more car length behind.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 10:10 AM

Good stories.

BTW, I tried the .Mac option and it's crippled sufficiently that it's no use.

25mb for iDisk?

In fact, they make it a point to say "You have 250mb storage unless you upgrade."

But, they then state that I have 25mb for iDisk, 25mb for Mail, and 50mb for iPhoto. That's not 250mb.

The file is just over 25mb so .Mac is useless.

Besides, I can't get ANYTHING to upload to iDisk. It routinely says, "You do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items." For uploading a 60kb file? Give me a break.

Makes me realize that I'm happy I didn't buy .Mac. It's too frustrating.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 10:23 AM

DP.

What is the deal with "VBull" and too many Mac connections? I post then I get that message and the next thing I know I have a DP.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 10:26 AM

Cody Dawg,
Check out RapidShare (www.rapidshare.de). You can upload it there and post a link. Literally thousands of folks can then download it (after waiting through the countdown for the free version).
(Edit: Max free ul/dl is 30 MB, so it should be doable.)
/mal

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
It's too true. Everyone makes mistakes while driving. We all need to be more tolerant. If someone tailgates you, increase your distance from the car in front. It's the only real way to ensure your safety, by lessening the likelihood of having to brake harshly. Plus, you'll be doing a favor to your new pet moron who appears to be tethered to your arse.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:31 AM

Definitely see if you can get that movie hosted somewhere. If you can get it to me, I can put it up for a few days for you.

And yeah, road rage sucks. I actually ranted about it a few months ago on these boards after some guy tried to run me off the highway. Fun stuff.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 11:44 AM

Oh, and about the tailgaters and slamming on the brakes?

Tempting. VERY tempting.

But, I have children in the car. One of them a baby. But, man, I DO think about it, yes. Especially since I'm driving a Suburban and I'd like to see them give it a kiss on the big metal rear bumper with a nice trailer hitch jutting out.

<malicious grin>

I just put enough pressure on the peddal to turn the brake lights on. It's hilarious to see them brake and swerve behind me. Best part is it works repeatedly, 'cause no one will take the risk in presuming you're not really braking.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
no no, Minneapolis is horrible. The on ramps on the hi-way lead directly into the offramps after a few hundred yards so traffic on the hi way comes to a complete stand still as the dumb a$$es atempt to merge. People in this state are too nice to drive, they are not aggressive enough and sit still waiving other people to go. I have to deal with this every day as I go to work. It pisses me off, but the best relief is finally getting home and playing some Rage Against the Machine real loud. Its quite the anger therapy, I recommend it.
i know the feeling, it was always a joy trying to get on 494 during rush hour when i lived down in the cities

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:34 PM

the worst drivers are defensive drivers.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
I just put enough pressure on the peddal to turn the brake lights on. It's hilarious to see them brake and swerve behind me. Best part is it works repeatedly, 'cause no one will take the risk in presuming you're not really braking.
Yep. That's what I do. Tap the brake juuust enough to get the lights to come on.

Insta-Tailgater repellant.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
the worst drivers are defensive drivers.
Nervous drivers are the worst drivers. People who aren't confident in their own abilities are the worst drivers. The sort of people who allow the car behind to dictate the pace are the worst drivers.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:48 PM

Why am I not surprised that you're inclined towards the rage side? No offense, I really have no problem with you unlike some others but I've noticed you lean towards a bad temper.

I used to be much the same in fact. I did manage to get it under control though. Except when some bastard has those damn bright head-lights on high

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
So I called #77 and reported him to the state police. Yes I am a dick like that, so if you see me on the road please follow the rules and drive safely.

Presuming you go to Maryland, I can see why you're a dick along with everyone else that goes there. Hope you liked the game this past Wednesday

And don't call the flippin' cops man, let him read. If he hits a ditch he'll learn.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 02:38 PM

MALVOLIO & KEEKEEREE: I GOT THE CRAZY GUY WHO WAS TAILGATING ME AND THREATENING ME WITH HIS COMPANY'S TRUCK UP ONLINE!

HERE IT IS.

This happened on December 30th 2004 at 7:30 AM in West Palm Beach. This guy almost hit me doing an illegal U-turn then started making lewd gestures towards me. When I got on the freeway he started pulling up alongside of me and threatened to swerve his company's truck into me (Excell Refrigeration in Lantana Florida). Then he started tailgating me. In the video you can see him come up really close to me. Then he gets pissed off and passes me going REALLY fast on the shoulder and if you listen, you'll hear the gravel and rocks come up off of the road and spray my new Suburban - he put chips in the paint all over the hood of the vehicle.

Watch how he acts - when he sees that I'm taping him he hides behind a UPS truck and then he gets off at the next exit.

When I called their company they didn't care, if you can believe it.

Well, now I'm glad it's up on the web and everyone can see what he did.

Thanks!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 02:41 PM

MALVOLIO & KEEKEEREE: I GOT THE CRAZY GUY WHO WAS TAILGATING ME AND THREATENING ME WITH HIS COMPANY'S TRUCK UP ONLINE!

HERE IT IS.

/mal

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 02:50 PM

By the way, when this happened and I called the company, all I wanted was an apology. They didn't believe me when I said I had a video. I am thinking of putting up a website devoted to this video at Google (or paying someone to.)

Since then I've gotten an attorney involved and he's going through the motions of dealing with their insurance company. He asked me what I wanted. Initially all I wanted was a handwritten apology handed to me from the driver.

The attorney said he thinks I should ask for $$$ for the endangerment of my vehicle, life, etc. I'm not the suing type so I've been considering it.

But, watching that vehicle again and listening to my car hood get dented up all over again makes me think, yeah, sue them.

That saying about a scorned woman being meaner than the devil ("Hell hath no fury...)

Well, it's probably true.

benb
Feb 18, 2005, 03:30 PM

Yea, after a seven week, 15k mile US road trip this fall, I can say without a doubt that the worst drivers in the nation are in the Northeast. No other part of the country was so inconsiderate when it came to driving. Up here we need cameras on ALL intersections. Seriously.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 09:48 PM

If you get sick of bad Florida drivers, come check out Arizona. We have just as many retired folks, with the added benefit of no drivers education for the kids. There is no driving test either. Just a quick written test followed by the eye exam.

We also have the added benefit of getting all the old people afraid of losing their licenses one day. Once you get an AZ license, it's good for 39 years! Mine expires in August 2043.

I thought Florida was bad when I lived there, but I am still amazed at what people can do here on the roads.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2005, 10:34 PM

HERE IT IS.
Not working... downloads up till 2494 KB, and then just stops and says HTTP Server Error.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2005, 05:17 AM

Oisin:

I just downloaded it. On my DSL that is "Lite" it takes 15 minutes to download and it downloaded perfectly. It's 24946KB or 24mb.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 11:07 AM

Boston is very bad - especially those roundabouts.
The problem with rotaries (as they are called) is that nobody knows how to use them. SO many people pass exits in the outside lane, which is illegal and dangerous. The rule with rotaries is, you are *always* supposed to be able to turn off and exit whether you are in the inside lane or not. That means if you're in the outside lane, you MUST get off at the next exit.

But nobody seems to know or ackwoledge this, so it's easy to get side-swiped while turning off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules