Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Creating a RAID0

Creating a RAID0
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:46 AM

I bought my Mac Pro with a 150GB Raptor and have now gotten one more of these drives. I want to set them up in RAID0 and was wondering if this could be done without repartitioning/reinstalling the OS?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 08:24 AM

No creating the RAID array is a destructive act and you'll need to reinstall OSX and your applications.

If you're looking to RAID your boot drive then I'd think twice since any burp or issue with the either drive will render your data useless since its split among two drives now. You need to have a solid and frequent backup plan

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 09:02 AM

Totally agree that there are risks associated with it and I will have a nightly backup scheduled to an external firewire drive. Now before I start, what is a good application that can make the initial backup? I can re-install the applications without any problem but what I need is data to be preserved. Would simply copying users directory be enough? I have two users on this Mac Pro with songs, pictures and documents for each.

After re-installing OSX on the RAID, what is a good backup program until Time Machine comes along? I have used Windows a lot and I would've used Acronis Tru Image on that to getting everything back online without much delay. But what do I use on the Mac?

Forum Links
Forum Rules