Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Advice on Repairing Mac

Advice on Repairing Mac
Fereshta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 03:41 AM

Hi all,

Excuse me if post on the wrong forum.

I currently specialize on PC repair and I want to start repairing Mac as well because I do occasionally have Mac customers.

I want to buy a used Mac for lab purposes so that I could gain hands on experience on both the hardware and software.

What will you recommend for the above mentioned purpose?

Any advice and tips will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 10:04 AM

That is a tough one seeing as how most of the new Mac models differ pretty significantly from what it takes to repair a PC these days. However, the components are all the same and if you are experienced in PC repair, then you will have no problem repairing Macs. What I would do is get the most popular current Mac on the market at the moment so you have the largest customer base covered. I would imagine that owuld be the current version of the iMac (flat panel). You should obviously also look at getting Apple Hardware Certified as I know a lot of businesses that won't even look at you unless you have that.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 10:42 PM

I also believe that if you are not Apple Certified and perform work on a customer's machine that they run the risk of having their warranty nullified.

As mentioned, most new Macs do use industry-standard components, the trickier part of diagnostics is the actual disassembly. Most of the systems are designed in a very proprietary manner and definitely require skill and training to disassable and troubleshoot. The most common actual "repairs" are individual component failure or misconfigured software.

I think you will find that working on Macs is as challenging, but also a heck of a lot more fun.

The recommendation of iMac is a good one, you will definitely want to look at getting an older machine though, as the most recent do not have as nearly as many (known) issues. Althogh Apple has made PowerMacs very accessible machines, so you may want to start there. It depends whether or not you see yourself as catering to a more Professional or Consumer level market.
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Forum Links
Forum Rules