Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US Military by 2010: a preview

US Military by 2010: a preview
NeoMac
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:52 AM

I've been curious about military tech lately. It's incredible what the U.S. military is up to. Seems that by 2010, they will have so many new revolutionary systems, that the method by which the U.S. conducts warfare will be nothing short of unbelievable. Here is what they're up to:

Small Diameter Bomb - (by 2006) A 100lb to 250lb GPS bomb for aircraft.
This is by far the most revolutionary new weapon. Basically, since the bomb is very precise it doesn't need to have a large explosive to destroy a target. The result is a vast increase in aircraft firepower. Example: a B2 bomber will be able to carry about 300 of these bombs. So 10 B2 bombers will be able to 3000 targets! (BTW, the Air Force is trying to rush a 500lb version to be ready for the Iraq war. A B2 will be able to carry 80 of them.)

Affordable Moving Surface Target Engagement (AMSTE) - (2008) GPS bombs that can hit moving targets. Basically, radar information from many aircraft is fuzed together to guide GPS bombs to hit moving targets. Since the weapon doesn't need a seeker, it makes hitting moving targets very inexpensive. This system is not only for bombs. It can be used to guide Tomahawks and other weapons to moving targets.

Airbone Laser - (2006) This system is absolutely wild. It's a Boeing 747 with a mega-watt class laser capable of shooting down ballistic missiles. Test firing in 2003.

Tactical Tomahawk - (2003) A new, low cost cruise missile that can be retargeted in flight to a new target or remotely controlled. It has a loiter feature, so it can wait for hours near the battle for a target.

Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) - (2006+) A new infantry "machine gun". Gives the soldier a 'smart weapon' that can shoot an explosive round that explodes after a distance specified by the soldier (by aiming a its laser). Ex: so it can explode right after it passes a corner or window frame to kill a hiding enemy (great for urban warfare).

F22 Raptor - (2005) advanced stealth fighter.

F35 - (2006) advanced stealth fighter-bomber.

PAC3 Patriot - (2003) radically new Patriot missile designed to hit-to-kill ballistic missiles. It's smaller, faster and longer ranged.

NMD, MEADS, THAAD, AEGIS TMD - four missile defense systems, the last being based at sea from AEGIS ships. MEADS and THAAD are mobile.

[edit]... more stuff ...

(UCAV) Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle - (2008) A revolutionary stealth combat drone that can coordinate their attacks. It's explicit mission is to destroy advanced air defense systems without risking US pilots. It will carry the new small diameter bombs. Creating a robot air force with devastating firepower. Also an inexpensive unit.

(THEL) Tactical High Energy Laser - (sometime by 2010) A ground-based laser air defense system! This system shoots down anything in the air, but it specializes in destroying rockets and artillery rounds in mid-air to protect our troops on the ground. Test of this system have been very successful.

USAV TSV-1X : High Speed Sea Transport - (2007?) A 45kt transport ship based on a commercial catamaran design (hence, inexpensive). This will revolutionize the Army and Marines. It will quadruple the speed of US deployment.

Longbow Apache - (deployed) Currently active, the Longbow brings advanced radar and network warfare to the Apache combat helicopter. Using computer coordinated targeting between helicopters, only a couple Apaches will be able to take out dozens of targets in just a minute.

(HIMARS) HIGH MOBILITY ARTILLERY ROCKET SYSTEM - (2004) This is a light version of the MLRS. It can be deployed by C-130 aircraft so US troops can take it anywhere. In Afghanistan the inability to bring artillery with the troops was a key shortfall. It fires 1 to 12 rockets containing dumb cluster bombs or advanced smart bomblets.

AH-66 Comanche - (2007?) A stealth combat helicopter!

LOCAAS, BAT2, Javelin, RAM ... (2002-2010) There is about a dozen small advanced smart precision weapons in development for use on air, sea and ground. Many of them 'mate' with other weapons - particularly the MLRS so they can be delivered from hundreds of miles away. LOCAAS is interesting because it will be the first hunter-seeker weapon. It will loiter for hours over the battlefield looking for targets. Great for SCUD hunting, that kind of thing.

There so much more it is hard to write about it all. Lots of it is meant to improve the safety of troops. There is production of very advanced light weight chem-bio warfare uniforms for soldiers. The uniform they wear will be the suit. These will make fighting in a WMD battlefield much more manageable.

There is also the 'land-warrior' system that gives troops advanced combat coordination abilities using helmet displays, sensors on rifles, links to imagery from satellites and drones, etc..

Contrary to belief these systems are much less expensive and much higher value than current systems. There are several reasons: high-tech has become cheaper. GPS makes precision weapons dirt cheap since complex targeting sensors are no longer needed. The weapons are being made smaller. Manned systems are being replaced with unmanned systems. And the increase in firepower will let the US fight wars with much smaller forces and win much faster, reducing the cost of operations. Of course, the military keeps hanging on to its 'pig' projects - like the super-expensive F22.
( Last edited by NeoMac; Dec 15, 2002 at 03:09 PM. )
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

The Dude
Banned
Dec 15, 2002, 04:00 AM

Death, brought to you by the United States Government.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 04:01 AM

Now all they need is to take over the entire planet.

The united continents of earth *gags and chokes*
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 04:07 AM

Oh good, more wasted taxpayer money. That's just what we need.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 15, 2002, 04:48 AM

Well if Americans need anything to be proud of I guess that would be it.

"Hello, what have we here?

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 05:06 AM

The US Military needs a whining-seeking missle for everyone that doesn't understand the neccessity of maintaining an up-to-date military so that we all aren't eating eggrolls and speaking chinese.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 05:08 AM

i want a megawatt class laser =D

they should just have ground-mounted turreted ones. why bother getting em in the air when you can track and aim from the ground?

might be able to shoot down some of those pesky seagulls, too!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 05:14 AM

I'm moving to Canada, I swear to god.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
That's cool, you can either live in America, or move and become America's Bitch ;-) Just kidding Axo...

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

pooka
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 05:19 AM

Yeah... they don't build bombs.

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2002, 05:55 AM

To hold off the majority of the world population, the minority needs sofisticated weapons.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 06:00 AM

HTML version
PDF version

... A rather interesting insight in the mechanisms of the (quite US-economy-and-military-driven) "New World Order"�: here's a review (of the many available), BTW.

Of course, it's written by two (neo-)Marxists (Hardt and Negri) - but it's an instructive reading anyway, even if one doesn't fully agree with them...
( Last edited by Sven G; Dec 15, 2002 at 06:06 AM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 06:14 AM

oh WOOOOOOW

More death with better gadgets. As a non-american, I feel so happy for you and your warhungry nation.

stop reading TIME magazine, you idiot.

Thrax
Banned
Dec 15, 2002, 06:24 AM

But Canada can't defend itself anymore. Their tank is still in Afghanistan.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Oh good, more wasted taxpayer money. That's just what we need.

the main purpose of the government is defense. to that purpose these weapons will help. the money is certainly not wasted. (except for maybe missile defense...)
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:

the main purpose of the government is defense. to that purpose these weapons will help. the money is certainly not wasted. (except for maybe missile defense...)
The US army has been very quiet about the Missile Defense Program. Is it still on or have they given up on it?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 06:57 AM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ssile_usa_dc_5

http://www.msnbc.com/news/831012.asp?0sl=-33

mixed news, i guess. i still dont know if its wise for missile defense to become our biggest expenditure when the threat level is relatively low and the effectiveness uncertain.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

El Pre$idente
Banned
Dec 15, 2002, 07:03 AM

Someone's got a baby sized dick.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2002, 07:06 AM

Back from the dead, eh?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 08:24 AM

Congratulations you war-mongering bastards.

OreoCookie
Dec 15, 2002, 09:44 AM

Well, you don't have a social security system to pay ... but you certainly could with this shitload of money.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Well, you don't have a social security system to pay ... but you certainly could with this shitload of money.
but...but that would be taking money from all of those hard working rich people. and that just ain't fair!!!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
The US Military needs a whining-seeking missle for everyone that doesn't understand the neccessity of maintaining an up-to-date military so that we all aren't eating eggrolls and speaking chinese.
ROFL!!!!!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

Congratulations you war-mongering bastards.
What really cracks me up is stuff like this. Just because you arm your country to protect it doesn't mean you are war-mongers. This is called insurance. Most of the time insurance that we WONT have to go to war. A have a friend that is HUGE, he is a weight lifter. Now under your type of thinking he must be just doing it to get into fights! When actually, him being that big stops him FROM getting into fights. No one really wants to mess with him, but the stupid.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2002, 11:36 AM

America is right on the heels of France when it comes to building cool weapons.

PS, Canada has nukes.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2002, 11:59 AM

Canada has nukes? Man. I wonder if they paint the maple leaf on those nukes. You know, to give them a friendly Canadian look.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 12:24 PM

Ours use highly fissionable maple syrup. Flatten your ass and jazz up your pancakes.

V
Senior User
Dec 15, 2002, 01:50 PM

If the Us economy can handle all this, great.

I just hope this will not be or al least well (sagely) used.

By 2010 a democrat president should be in place and the last military goverment should be ( I hope!) gone (Libya, Sudan, Iraq, North Corea. Some small African regimes could still remain).

We will have to wait how the alliances evolve and how they live together. They are essentially geographical for now (EU, North America [ALENA,NORAD], MERCOSUR) But tend to embrace as many countries as possible (NATO).

The US is near of EU, just hope that will last a long time. They are also trying to stay close to Russia, the last thing the US wants is overly good relation between China an Russia.

Romans wisdom:

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by V:

By 2010 a democrat president should be in place and the last military goverment should be ( I hope!) gone
Ok what does a democratic president have to do with anything?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 01:54 PM

V
Senior User
Dec 15, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Ok what does a democratic president have to do with anything?

[A minimum of] Cohesion.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:14 PM

That is subjective.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:

But Canada can't defend itself anymore. Their tank is still in Afghanistan.
Defend ourselves from what? No planes smashing into buildings up here. Nor are we at war every 10 years.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:

Defend ourselves from what? No planes smashing into buildings up here. Nor are we at war every 10 years.
You have nothing anyone wants.

arrested502
Senior User
Dec 15, 2002, 02:25 PM

I served in our US Navy and I'm far from a conservative/republican type. One of the great things about the good old US of A is that you can defend your country without always agreeing with every single policy we (or they) make. I had my own reasons for volunteering. My father was a turret gunner on a B-25 in WW2 over (then) fascist Italy, My Uncle was actualy AT Pearl Harbor when the Japanese Empire bombed them. I felt I had to do my "part" for some reason or other.

Stronger Military? Good. The first thing on my mind is our boys/girls fighting for what they believe in. They didn't make the rules, but they must follow them.

I certainly don't believe in every single war our nation tries to insight however. I really don't think we have been involved in a war that was worthwhile since WW2.

Just my 2�

MikeM
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 02:31 PM

How about universal health care? I think that alone makes Canada more advanced than the US. And for you stoners out there, there's always the pot

And to whoever said the purpose of government is defense... As I recall, the purpose of government is to serve the people, and I don't want my money spent on all this crap.
( Last edited by wataru; Dec 15, 2002 at 02:38 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 02:37 PM

Thank GOD! I love it here in Canada.

I guess American's have a much better style of life though as they all have everything the world wants.

That is worth war.

P.S. What do you have exactly?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:41 PM

How about universal health care? I think that alone makes Canada more advanced than the US.
Depends, taxes are a lot more expensive in Canada because of it.

And to whoever said the purpose of government is defense... As I recall, the purpose of government is to serve the people, and I don't want my money spent on all this crap.
I never said that was the sole purpose of the government. And spending money on military IS serving the people. It is doing it's best to keep it's people safe. In the 90s, military and intelligence spending was cut back for the most part. Look where it got us. (Not blaming it all on cutting military back of course, that would be silly. )

Does Canada need to spend as much? Probably not.

I wasn't really trying to make fun of Canada, but just rib Lando a bit with a smart ass comment to match the one he made.

I've been to Canada many times, nice place, nice people, they even have better beer than the US makes.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 02:42 PM

Thank GOD! I love it here in Canada.

I guess American's have a much better style of life though as they all have everything the world wants.

That is worth war.

P.S. What do you have exactly?
Er I was meaning that as a joke Lando. Hence the

Read my post above.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 15, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
I've been curious about military tech lately. It's incredible what the U.S. military is up to. Seems that by 2010, they will have so many new revolutionary systems, that the method by which the U.S. conducts warfare will be nothing short of unbelievable. Here is what they're up to:

Small Diameter Bomb - (by 2006) A 100lb to 250lb GPS bomb for aircraft.
This is by far the most revolutionary new weapon. Basically, since the bomb is very precise it doesn't need to have a large explosive to destroy a target. The result is a vast increase in aircraft firepower. Example: a B2 bomber will be able to carry about 300 of these bombs. So 10 B2 bombers will be able to 3000 targets! (BTW, the Air Force is trying to rush a 500lb version to be ready for the Iraq war. A B2 will be able to carry 80 of them.)
this is good but i question the accuracy, commercial GPS is in the area of 30feet, and while the military grade is stronger, i don't know if it is within a 3 foot area yet.

Airbone Laser - (2006) This system is absolutely wild. It's a Boeing 747 with a mega-watt class laser capable of shooting down ballistic missiles. Test firing in 2003.
the 747 is a test platform, nothing more, but if shrunk in size, would make an excellent aircraft prtoection devise to destroy in bound missles, and i know the militazry has a protable version already fired for artillry shells.
Tactical Tomahawk - (2003) A new, low cost cruise missile that can be retargeted in flight to a new target or remotely controlled. It has a loiter feature, so it can wait for hours near the battle for a target.
why not tie this into the gps and radr guidance?

Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) - (2006+) A new infantry "machine gun". Gives the soldier a 'smart weapon' that can shoot an explosive round that explodes after a distance specified by the soldier (by aiming a its laser). Ex: so it can explode right after it passes a corner or window frame to kill a hiding enemy (great for urban warfare).
designed for urban warfare, based ona modified m16, would perfer to see a metal storm based on

F22 Raptor - (2005) advanced stealth fighter.
which just hit another funding overrun, and is being threaten wioth cancelation. and if some idiot hadn;t crashed and burned it on a joyride/showoff trip this would have been done by now ( this incident happened back in 92) howver this is sopmething that is needed as the f117 really isn't very good (slow, fragile, fuel inefficent), and the f22 would allow thrust vectoring, stealth supercruise ( mach 1= speeds without afdterburner) as it stands now the current f15 is outmatched by the newest european fighter.

F35 - (2006) advanced stealth fighter-bomber.
isn;t this the Joint Strike fighter? a basic airframe fitted with VTOL for the marines, Carrier landings for the nAvy and then iether air supremecy/attack bomber or manuverable laser platform for the airforce (the 747 one shrunk down). this is also a craft that was built to be easily repairable by ANY nato country, and to be used by any nato country, currently undergoing flight testing.

don't forget the US is very interested in the metal storm tech to replace and augment CIWS on ships or claymore mines as thes can be remote operated, reusable and trackable

i also wouldn't be surprised if an EMP weapon wasn;t developed along with a smaller portable more accurate heartbeat sensor ( it IS real, but not very sensetive right now)

also smaller lighter faster tanks are in design, trimaran warships in development, supersonic torpedos and bullets designed to travel at the spped of sound or faster UNDERWATER. concrete subs and cuurent boomer retrofits to support special forces and costal operations. stealth helocopters (commanche) are set to appear, along with a new class and configuration of aircraft carriers

NeoMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 02:56 PM

I added a lot more systems to the original post, for those who are curious.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:06 PM

that's because you depend on our military. duh.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:07 PM

How about universal health care? I think that alone makes Canada more advanced than the US. And for you stoners out there, there's always the pot

hahah...universal health care makes you better than us? Oh yes, those week and month long waits are simply top-notch!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:09 PM

Advanced Tactical Stealth Bombers (2010) - All stealth bombers are upgraded with neural processors, becoming fully unmanned. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 03:14 PM

Really? When was the last time the US army stopped terrorists / enemies from attacking Canada. The US army / intelligence did a piss poor job on September 11 and didn't prevent a damn thing.

In fact Canada allowed all US bound planes to land in Canada without a second though even though they might have been full of bombs/terrorists.

Last time I checked Canadian special forces were helping out the US in Afghanistan. Not the other way around.

All those enemies are too scared to touch Canada because the US army is protecting us. Right.

Ze Germans perhaps?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:14 PM

To do what? Protect us from Quebec?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 03:15 PM

Oh yes, those week and month long waits are simply top-notch!
What in the hell are you talking about?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 15, 2002, 03:18 PM

The US army / intelligence did a piss poor job on September 11 and didn't prevent a damn thing.

I agree, so much for the military and intelligence cut backs taht Clinton made.

In fact Canada allowed all US bound planes to land in Canada without a second though even though they might have been full of bombs/terrorists.
They also have no problems letting terrorists into the US through their borders. :-)

Last time I checked Canadian special forces were helping out the US in Afghanistan. Not the other way around.
That is right, they are HELPING OUT. Canada surely couldn't do it by themselves. ;-)

All those enemies are too scared to touch Canada because the US army is protecting us. Right.
Not all of them, but I am sure that is a factor to a lot. That is if we are going to be honest with ourselves. There just isn't that much bragging rights saying you took over Canada. It's like bragging about beating the French. ;-)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2002, 03:22 PM

hahah...universal health care makes you better than us? Oh yes, those week and month long waits are simply top-notch!
Some care is better than no care, unlike in the US where many poor people have no insurance at all.

And for the record I'm not Canadian; I'm just an American that's getting really fed up with his country.

NeoMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
this is good but i question the accuracy, commercial GPS is in the area of 30feet, and while the military grade is stronger, i don't know if it is within a 3 foot area yet.[/B]
You made many good points, which I couldn't get to at 2:30am. I continued my original post.

The reason this bomb is being delayed to 2006 is because they are improving it's accuracy drastically by using 7-band GPS (which I suppose means it uses seven GPS satellites instead of three). Also, the bomb is smaller and it weighs less, but I believe the explosive they intend to use will increase the explosion.
There are also plans for new GPS satellites to increase precision of all these systems.

... The Tactical Tomahawk is GPS based, that's why it's 1/2 to 1/3 cheaper than the current Tomahawk and ALCM. Each will cost $500,000 instead of $1.5 million (ALCM price). It has the neat ability to be a scout drone with its new inbuilt TV camera for remote piloting and confirmation of target destruction. It will beam back a TV signal all the way into the target - if I'm not mistaken. It also means we'll see new footage of Tomahawk hitting their targets in the future. Although, the info is a bit vague so I could be reading to much into the TV camera thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules