Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New things I've found in Tiger

New things I've found in Tiger (Page 7)
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 11:55 PM

Seriously people, someone please comment on .mac sync/.mac dns?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Seriously people, someone please comment on .mac sync/.mac dns?
Right now it's nothing more than a checkbox that says "Other people can view your shared devices at: [address shown]." Other than that, I have no idea what it can be used for.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Did not read the thread, but when you make a new folder in list view its name stays highlighted!
and when you make a new folder in column view and rename it, it stays at the bottom of the list for a while rather than immediately moving into alphabetical order. just like that other OS...

[WHINE]BTW, is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed at the advance of the blue everywhere in OS X? I use the 'graphite' appearance and I think ALL blue stuff shoudl change to graphite. instead I have to suffer nasty blue highlights in the finder sidebar in Panther, and when I turned on graphite in Tiger the damn spotlight corner stayed blue.[/WHINE]

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by freeandunmuzzled:

[WHINE]BTW, is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed at the advance of the blue everywhere in OS X? I use the 'graphite' appearance and I think ALL blue stuff shoudl change to graphite. instead I have to suffer nasty blue highlights in the finder sidebar in Panther, and when I turned on graphite in Tiger the damn spotlight corner stayed blue.[/WHINE]
I'm sure those are oversights.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2004, 01:34 AM

and when you make a new folder in column view and rename it, it stays at the bottom of the list for a while rather than immediately moving into alphabetical order. just like that other OS...
Why?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 01:47 AM

I always thought appple should make the color a 'layer', maybe a vector layer or something.. that way you could choose any color code and BAM everything changes to it
Aloha

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 6, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Right now it's nothing more than a checkbox that says "Other people can view your shared devices at: [address shown]." Other than that, I have no idea what it can be used for.
Wide area network (WAN) support for Rendezvous -- with a little help from DNS. Want to see all of your printers, computers, etc. from one office while you're at home or at another office, the same way you can on a local network with Rendezvous now?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 02:06 AM

Could anyone please email the new quicktime icon to me? Thank You

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Wide area network (WAN) support for Rendezvous -- with a little help from DNS. Want to see all of your printers, computers, etc. from one office while you're at home or at another office, the same way you can on a local network with Rendezvous now?
Similar to Rendezvous Beacon?

Cool.

Everything but iTunes, right?

also:
Anyone running it on a G3 laptop? What is the lag time like for the volume control when the system is busy? How about lag time between tabs on safari, especially when loading a page in the background?

That is the main problem I have with the current OS. Some web web has music or something and I can't turn the &**(&# volume down for a full minute.

SYN
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 04:23 AM

This wasn't answered earlier, so I'm asking again

Is QT finally able to open files without extension or type info? The OS recognises the files correctly, as evidenced by the "open with" CMM, however QT Player in Panther can't open the files and throws an error. Adding the extension fixes this.

Trying this out is fairly easy, grab an .mpg from anywhere, most don't have creator/type codes, and rip the extension off.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

ixavi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 06:57 AM

I think nobody has mentioned it yet.

Open a bunch of images in preview and try to put it in full-screen. They changed it and now it's named slideshow. It acts basically like iPhoto and you get the semi transparent play-pause buttons. You can also scale the images so they fit in to your screen and there's a button that shows all the images like when you press F9 (expos� effect!) so you can jump to the one you want. thumbsup:

However, i think preview still needs a lot of work. The performance with this feature reminds me of the jaguar times. The effect is cool but I don't know if it's a good idea to implement it in preview. Try to do this: load about 20 images, at least 1 megapixel and see if the expos� effect is fluid. I think when you do this kind of eye candy all the images have to be rendered as a texture in the GPU memory, so my Gforce2 32Mb was dying of an overdose at that point. Sometimes I preview up to 100 images! At least they should give you the option to turn it off.

What do you guys think?

PS: Excuse my bad english. Writing from Spain.
Enough lies!

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Why?!
probably because when you create a folder it's hard to find, then when you rename it, it moves all over the place. i've wanted this feature for a long time.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 09:29 AM

Some of you took issue with the Longhorn hardware requirements I previously posted. Here are actual Microsoft recommendations for Longhorn video, which specifically say that to get the best graphical user experience (Aero Glass) you will need a video card with 64MB of VRAM (128MB or more recommended):

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...hics-reqs.mspx

Now, Longhorn is running fine on current machines, as is Panther and Tiger. I was simply responding to Link's post, which said:

Apple's Spec Page: Only cards included in current macs are supported (even the geforce fx5200 roflmao!!!oneone!!!)

Translation: If your mac is more than a year old, you're an offense to steve jobs and apple. Buy a new mac because either your current one will have shitty support or you'll be stuck with 10.3 and won't be able to use the newest version of shapeshitter and ichat
This statement is dead wrong, as Tiger will run on current hardware. You just don't get all of the benefits of Core Image.

Chris

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 12:16 PM

I am not sure if this is mentioned, but will tiger finally grant write axcess when trying to use the finder as a FTP? The whole finder FTP thing was started in freaking jaguar. It needs to be completed in Tiger.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by ixavi:
I think nobody has mentioned it yet.

Open a bunch of images in preview and try to put it in full-screen. They changed it and now it's named slideshow. It acts basically like iPhoto and you get the semi transparent play-pause buttons. You can also scale the images so they fit in to your screen and there's a button that shows all the images like when you press F9 (expos� effect!) so you can jump to the one you want.
Sounds very cool. Screenshot?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Dark Rob:
I am not sure if this is mentioned, but will tiger finally grant write axcess when trying to use the finder as a FTP? The whole finder FTP thing was started in freaking jaguar. It needs to be completed in Tiger.
FTP via web browsers are also read-only; while expanding the Finder FTP would be nice, there are alternatives right now, and other more important, more exciting things that need to be worked on in the OS.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 05:06 PM

Here's a good question. Do Open/Save dialogues in Tiger take advantage of Spotlight at all?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2004, 05:35 PM

Does the new iChat AV 2.0 have support for USB webcams?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 6, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Here's a good question. Do Open/Save dialogues in Tiger take advantage of Spotlight at all?
Nobody has shown this so I can only assume it doesn't...yet. It would be stupid if Apple didn't take advantage of Spotlight in Open/Save dialog.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Nobody has shown this so I can only assume it doesn't...yet. It would be stupid if Apple didn't take advantage of Spotlight in Open/Save dialog.
Well, it's actually a pretty thorny UI problem, but yeah, I agree it'll be a shame if they don't.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 07:30 PM

Well, it's actually a pretty thorny UI problem, but yeah, I agree it'll be a shame if they don't.
Maybe a stupid question, but why would this be beneficial?

ambush
Banned
Jul 6, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
FTP via web browsers are also read-only; while expanding the Finder FTP would be nice, there are alternatives right now, and other more important, more exciting things that need to be worked on in the OS.
Finder based FTP excites me.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Finder based FTP excites me.
For some reason this makes me feel a little sad...
I have Mac

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Maybe a stupid question, but why would this be beneficial?
Well, let's say you're saving a file from TextEdit, and you need to save a file that's in a folder deep within the file hierarchy. You're not even sure where the folder is exactly, as you just love Spotlight in Tiger, and you've been using Spotlight for so long, it's basically how you find your folders these days.

But there's no Spotlight in Open/Save, so you have to either slog through the hierarchy, trying to remember where that folder is, or you save to the desktop, and then use Spotlight to find the folder, then drag it in. Annoying.

Now, I don't actually think Spotlight is going to replace the Finder completely, together with all forms of hierarchical organization. But, depending on the person + situation, it's going to replace it sometimes, and, increasingly, often. In Tiger, Spotlight is going to be just an incredibly critical part of the interface wherever you are. Including, one hopes, Open/Save dialogs.

The interesting Q. in my mind is how to do it? And, y'know, on further reflection, it's not nearly as thorny as I first thought. I can easily imagine a search field in the dialog, and a corresponding interface that operates very much like Spotlight in the Finder (with all the inaccessible files faded out depending on whether it's Open or Save).

Why, Apple's even left a nice little space to the right of the pull-down menu....

( Last edited by lookmark; Jul 6, 2004 at 09:16 PM. )

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 09:39 PM

Well, let's say you're saving a file from TextEdit, and you need to save a file that's in a folder deep within the file hierarchy. You're not even sure where the folder is exactly, as you just love Spotlight in Tiger, and you've been using Spotlight for so long, it's basically how you find your folders these days.

But there's no Spotlight in Open/Save, so you have to either slog through the hierarchy, trying to remember where that folder is, or you save to the desktop, and then use Spotlight to find the folder, then drag it in. Annoying.

Now, I don't actually think Spotlight is going to replace the Finder completely, together with all forms of hierarchical organization. But, depending on the person + situation, it's going to replace it sometimes, and, increasingly, often. In Tiger, Spotlight is going to be just an incredibly critical part of the interface wherever you are. Including, one hopes, Open/Save dialogs.

The interesting Q. in my mind is how to do it? And, y'know, on further reflection, it's not nearly as thorny as I first thought. I can easily imagine a search field in the dialog, and a corresponding interface that operates very much like Spotlight in the Finder (with all the inaccessible files faded out depending on whether it's Open or Save).

Why, Apple's even left a nice little space to the right of the pull-down menu....

This would be awesome if say, you just finished a powerpoint document for example, and you wanted to save it in a folder, whose hierarchical location you've forgotten, and spotlight could locate it for you based on the fact that it contains powerpoint presentations, or was modified in the last three days, or one of the files in the folder is a pdf and has an article about John Cusack in it somewhere.

I'm really starting to think spotlight will completely replace the finder for locating folders.

Not to say the finder will become obsolete, it'll be required for file management, moving, deleting, copying etc...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 10:05 PM

Wow, your right.

Spotlight in Open/Save Dialogs would kick ass!

-Owl

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 11:33 PM

If it didn't take advantage of spotlight, I could see just saving it to the desktop and then doing the old F5 > Type, find the one you want, and drag the titlebar icon into the folder. That would move it right in there. It might be an extra few commands, but speed wise, it would probably be about the same, and instead of one fairly complex action within another simple action, you would have a simple action, and then a second fairly complex action. Which I think would be much easier conceptually. I usually save all my stuff to the desktop anyway, unless its a bunch of web images or something. It just takes too long to browse around for stuff.

Action 1:
Command-S
Action 2:
Spotlight (worse cause F5 I'd expect the global spotlight to come on)
Find New Location (Search)
Select New Location
Click Save (Return)

OR Two Simple Actions

Action 1:
Command-S (already do)
Command-D (New, but really easy)
Return (Already)

Action 2
F5 (Already, but better cause its the natural spotlight)
Search (Already)
Drag (New Step)

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
If it didn't take advantage of spotlight, I could see just saving it to the desktop and then doing the old F5 > Type, find the one you want, and drag the titlebar icon into the folder. That would move it right in there. It might be an extra few commands, but speed wise, it would probably be about the same, and instead of one fairly complex action within another simple action, you would have a simple action, and then a second fairly complex action. Which I think would be much easier conceptually. I usually save all my stuff to the desktop anyway, unless its a bunch of web images or something. It just takes too long to browse around for stuff.

Action 1:
Command-S
Action 2:
Spotlight (worse cause F5 I'd expect the global spotlight to come on)
Find New Location (Search)
Select New Location
Click Save (Return)

OR Two Simple Actions

Action 1:
Command-S (already do)
Command-D (New, but really easy)
Return (Already)

Action 2
F5 (Already, but better cause its the natural spotlight)
Search (Already)
Drag (New Step)
How about F6 for a dialog spotlight?

Or are we getting too complicated? Two spotlights, three different expos�s and a widget layer...

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
If it didn't take advantage of spotlight, I could see just saving it to the desktop and then doing the old F5 > Type, find the one you want, and drag the titlebar icon into the folder. That would move it right in there. It might be an extra few commands, but speed wise, it would probably be about the same...
Well, if Apple doesn't have time and resources to build Spotlight into Open/Save dialogs, that's what we'll be stuck with. But I think it's clearly inferior to having Spotlight built right in Open/Save. Not everyone is clued into the "Save to Desktop First" trick (simple as it is) and not everyone will be clued into F5 being the Spotlight hot key. It all gets a bit workaround-ish and power-usery.

Seems to me like a clunky extra step, at best.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. Back on topic, I suppose there's no evidence of Spotlight in Open/Save dialogs in Tiger so far...?

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 03:39 AM

I suspect getting Spotlight integrated into the Finder will take a little time. So it may be a bit premature to judge too much by that. I fully expect that, like iTunes, we'll at a minimum have smart folders in the side bar in both dialog boxes and Finder windows. I'd like to have smart folders anywhere you could put a real folder as well. But I'm not sure we'll get that...

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 06:35 AM

A save dialogue with metadata would be good too.
ie Description
Project
Keywords

(or just keywords - that'd be enough for me)

Of course to be able to usefully find a folder we're gonna have to be able to add meta-data to folders.

I think that aliases should be the default for files & folders now - ie they get physically stored somewhere hidden and the finder only deals with aliases - that way the same folder and files can appear in many places at once (as they will with smart folders). Physical copies can be made - it is just a less usual operation - hence an extra keypress. Deleting a file just adds a special tag (thus the Trash can be rummaged through) and those deleted items of a certain age can gradually disappear.

Bring it on!

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 06:38 AM

While I'm at it - lets do away with filenames too.

Keywords and a small description should be enough for every file..

Foldernames can be kept as they can serve as a keyword to collect things together.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2004, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I suspect getting Spotlight integrated into the Finder will take a little time. So it may be a bit premature to judge too much by that. I fully expect that, like iTunes, we'll at a minimum have smart folders in the side bar in both dialog boxes and Finder windows. I'd like to have smart folders anywhere you could put a real folder as well. But I'm not sure we'll get that...

Everything you've mentioned is already implemented.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
probably because when you create a folder it's hard to find, then when you rename it, it moves all over the place. i've wanted this feature for a long time.
Can ANYONE explain why creating/naming a folder in column view doesn't exhibit the same behavior as creating/naming a folder in list view? I.E. it moves to its alphabetical place, but remains hi-lighted?

Actually, this should be carried one step further in both instances. If the folder moves out of view in the window after being re-named, the window should scroll automatically to keep it in view.

Why else do we create folders except we want to put something in them? I guess the only difference would be that in column view, if you created two folders in a row, the second folder would be created inside the first if the first remained highlighted. Does this break some kind of HIG rule? I don't think I've ever created more than one folder at a time, though I suppose that might create confusion if one were to do so. But think about it-- which is the more likely of scenarios:

1. You create one folder, with the express purpose of putting something in it.
2. You create multiple folders one after another.

I think with 1 being far more likely than 2, it should have precedence.

But that's just me, obviously, and I'm just a lowly end-user who should eat my soup.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

1. You create one folder, with the express purpose of putting something in it.
2. You create multiple folders one after another.
In folder view, one should apply 1 (as it does in open/save-dialogs). It's just logical, if a folder is highlighted in column view, it's content is displayed in the column to the right. In list and icon view, you should not open the new folder after it's created.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 02:16 PM

y would it be slower with 10.4 or more buggy. Its a upgrade not really a whole new system like going from 9 to x. The only really thing buggy possibly would be the new things that are in .4 vs .3 other than that why would it be buggy. Its just a upgrade.

Also did every one go to the wwdc. Cause if not how did you all steal a copy when its not even out o the public. Tisk tisk.
Support apple and don't steal. That is why our % is under 5 because people like theses in the room stealing it when its not even out only for wwdc members.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Also did every one go to the wwdc. Cause if not how did you all steal a copy when its not even out o the public. Tisk tisk.
Support apple and don't steal. That is why our % is under 5 because people like theses in the room stealing it when its not even out only for wwdc members.
Wow, that's hardly true. Worldwide percentage is based off of machines sold, not copies of the operating system. And you need to buy a machine from Apple in order to use OS X.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 03:58 PM

Support apple and don't steal.
You'd have a point if the developer preview was for sale.

That is why our % is under 5 because people like theses in the room stealing it when its not even out only for wwdc members.
Microsoft faces rampant piracy, but they don't seem to have a problem with marketshare.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2004, 04:17 PM

Porn is still functioning well in Tiger. We can rest easy tonight.

diamondsw
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Apple's Spec Page: Only cards included in current macs are supported (even the geforce fx5200 roflmao!!!oneone!!!)

Translation: If your mac is more than a year old, you're an offense to steve jobs and apple. Buy a new mac because either your current one will have shitty support or you'll be stuck with 10.3 and won't be able to use the newest version of shapeshitter and ichat
Anyone who posts "roflmao!!!oneone!!!" just gets added to a mental "ignore this moron" filter. Come on, look at yourself. Don't you have more respect for yourself than that? Are you actually rolling on the floor, giggling with glee until your ass magically falls off?

Moose
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
You'd have a point if the developer preview was for sale.
Neither ADC seeding nor WWDC attendance is free. It doesn't have to come in a pretty box for it to be "for sale."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Anyone who posts "roflmao!!!oneone!!!" just gets added to a mental "ignore this moron" filter. Come on, look at yourself. Don't you have more respect for yourself than that? Are you actually rolling on the floor, giggling with glee until your ass magically falls off?
Dude, it's Link. Say no more.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Could anyone please email the new quicktime icon to me? Thank You
it on the first page of my website.

a holck
Senior User
Jul 7, 2004, 09:25 PM

y would it be slower with 10.4 or more buggy. Its a upgrade not really a whole new system like going from 9 to x. The only really thing buggy possibly would be the new things that are in .4 vs .3 other than that why would it be buggy. Its just a upgrade.
Well 10.4 contains a new kernel, so the whole system is affected.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:

Everything you've mentioned is already implemented.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe saved searches can be put anywhere and treated like any folder. Not having the beta I can't test that. If you can, then I'm rather excited...

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 01:15 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't believe saved searches can be put anywhere and treated like any folder. Not having the beta I can't test that. If you can, then I'm rather excited...
I expressed that same concern several pages ago, and was assured that you can, indeed, drag the smart folders off the sidebar to any location. It didn't sound very polished, but it's definitely there.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 05:23 AM

it works, i'm doing it right now, it works perfectly.

I can have a smart folder on the desktop which only shows todays files.
it updates automatically even when its open.

FYI the folder filetype is .savedSearch, behaves like normal folder.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 06:05 PM

You'd be amazed how much has been changed. Pretty much the entire graphics subsystem, for example. 10.4 has LOTS of room to be buggy (which it is. I've made my laptop unbootable way too many times recently)

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
it works, i'm doing it right now, it works perfectly.
I can have a smart folder on the desktop which only shows todays files.
it updates automatically even when its open.
FYI the folder filetype is .savedSearch, behaves like normal folder.
Too cool. I'm very excited now. Does anyone know if there is a way to utilize them from the command line?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 01:11 PM

Too cool. I'm very excited now. Does anyone know if there is a way to utilize them from the command line?
I believe so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules