Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading: Size vs. speed in PowerBook hard drives

Upgrading: Size vs. speed in PowerBook hard drives
Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 02:01 AM

I've been considering upgrading from the 40 GB 5200 rpm drive in my TiPB G4 800 MHz to something faster. I keep getting back to the Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 and 5K80 drives.

It seems as though my choices are a very slightly faster drive vs. 20 GB more.

Unless someone knows of a 7200 rpm 80 GB drive, I'm getting the 5K80. For my purposes, size matters.

Anyone got any alternative drive suggestions?

Extra-wonderful places to buy? Newegg? Transintl? Elsewhere?
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 10:38 AM

100GB 7200 RPM notebook drives are on the way, just wait for one of them.

tooki

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
I'd have to agree with tooki. The current Hitachi 60gb 7200rpm is suppose to be excellent in the way of power management and is definitely not just a speed increase, the next gen should be even better. I would love to have the power and size since my 4200rpm 80gb in my 1.5Ghz PB is both a little slow and small. Del Inspiron's have been shipping with 100GB drives for sometime now. The problem is that they are for OEMs only, so you haven't been able to buy one for your PB, although that will change soon. I say wait a little bit and get both size and speed!

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 01:10 PM

Searching around the 'net I stumble across mention of the 100.0 GB Toshiba Super Slimline MK1031GAS 4200 RPM ATA 8 MB cache drive.

c|net carried the story.

Samples of the drive were to have been given to hardware companies in May 2004.

Several questions:

(1) Has anyone heard of this? Has it gone anywhere? Are they manufacturing? Why haven't I heard of this?

(2) It's 4200 RPM. I was sold on getting the 5400 RPM Hitachi 80 GB drive (the 5K80 model). I wanted 7200 RPM, was willing to settle on 5400 RPM, and now find out the object of my lust is 4200 RPM. I *really* want to store 100 GB internally, but will 4200 RPM suck for most things? (I do occasionally grab digital video from a Sony DV camera via FireWire, but that's about as real-time as I get.)

Still leaning towards size, but 4200 rpm? And not even 16 mb cache?
Since EBCDIC

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
I�m desperately in need of a faster and bigger HD; any word on the price of one of those yet?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I�m desperately in need of a faster and bigger HD; any word on the price of one of those yet?
The only 100GB 2.5" HD currently out runs at 4200rpm. Here is a british site which is selling it for about $360US (�196-�290)
http://www.span.com/catalog/product_...oducts_id=4276

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
Several questions:

(1) Has anyone heard of this? Has it gone anywhere? Are they manufacturing? Why haven't I heard of this?

(2) It's 4200 RPM. I was sold on getting the 5400 RPM Hitachi 80 GB drive (the 5K80 model). I wanted 7200 RPM, was willing to settle on 5400 RPM, and now find out the object of my lust is 4200 RPM. I *really* want to store 100 GB internally, but will 4200 RPM suck for most things? (I do occasionally grab digital video from a Sony DV camera via FireWire, but that's about as real-time as I get.)

Still leaning towards size, but 4200 rpm? And not even 16 mb cache?
1) You haven't heard of it because you practically can't buy it, especially the Toshiba. The 100GB hard drive in current Inspirons is a Fujitsu model. Such a small quantity was originally produced that all the OEMs bought them without any stock going to resellers. This will undoubtedly change. See the following articles:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...422225532.html

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...ge=1&pagepos=2

2) In response to your question on speed, the MacWorld article says that Seagate is coming out with 100GB 5400rpm models in third quarter of this year and 7200rpm in the fourth quarter. I'd wait if you could. Most people on these forums have noticed an improvement in system response from upgrading to the 5400rpm or 7200rpm drives. It sounds like for what you do, the 4200rpm will be fine, but if you try to play/edit/record multiple video streams at a time you might run into a problem.

Here is more info about the Seagate drives:

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=322

mediacoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 02:49 PM

yeah... i'm thinking about this too... my 12" 40gig is about maxed out... i've found this service at resq:
http://www.macresq.com/store/hitlist...sQ_Hard_Drives

they offer a 60 and 80 gig option. anyone know of any other services that perform hard drive upgrades? is the warranty voided with such upgrades?

Since EBCDIC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 05:43 PM

No, your warranty is not voided. Generally hard drives are a user-serviceable option for all the modern PowerBooks. (It may be that specific models have hard drives that are so difficult to access that an Apple-approved tech is required; call Apple to double-check your specific model.)

Also, the prices on the page you referenced are TERRIBLE! You can buy the drive for about half the cost shown (more or less). If you're saavy enough to have an external drive/CDs/DVDs to which you've backed up and are cool-headed enough to open your own PowerBook, I'd suggest you try it. That's a lot of cash for not a lot of work. There are lots of how-tos on the 'net, and most PowerBook manuals even show you how.

But if you are a klutz and destroy your PowerBook please don't yell at me.
Since EBCDIC

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 06:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken those are decent prices considering that if you install a HD yourself your basically voiding your Applecare (I'm talking about Alu's, not TiBooks). I like the 60GB price but if you look harder I'm sure other places will do the job for much less.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules