Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Toddler accidentally purchases car on eBay using dad's smartphone

Toddler accidentally purchases car on eBay using dad's smartphone
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 11, 2013, 03:55 AM

While many parents let their children play with their smartphone or other mobile device for temporary amusement, a story out of Oregon may make some think twice about the practice. According to reports, a 14-month toddler named Sorella Stoute managed to bid on and win an auction on eBay for a 1962 Austin Healy Sprite, buying the junked vehicle (with the name "FrankenSprite" printed on its door) for $225 using her father's logged-in account with the eBay app. While the parents could have nullified the sale, they ultimately decided to keep the car -- and the father, Paul Stoute, plans on restoring it and presenting to Sorella on her 16th birthday. The parents learned of the purchase through an email from eBay after the auction.

Stoute said his daughter enjoys playing on his iPhone, according to Portland's KPTV. Their initial reaction to the notification from Ebay was "panic," but said that Stoute had been recently using eBay to look for fixer-upper cars -- which is probably how Sorella found the auction -- and that after thinking it over decided to keep it and try to restore it over the next 15 years. The seller was gracious about the mix-up, the parents said. Christina Stoute, the girl's mother, told the station that her husband has "a major project" ahead of him with the car, known as "FrankenSprite."

"It comes with two engines," she said. "They're both in the back seat."

She added that the incident "cannot happen again" as the couple have since added password protection to their phones, and deleted apps that have the option of making purchases. Given the propensity of somewhat older children to rack up enormous bills on in-app purchases that are part of most free games, the Stoutes will likely need to keep a close eye on Sorella as she gets older.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM. )

FastAMX79
Jul 11, 2013, 05:57 AM

So some idiot leaves his account logged in, his kid buys something with it, and this is a news story?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

koolkid1976
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2013, 08:50 AM

If you read between the lines, they are blaming Apple for this. That's why it's a news story. If it was a Samsung phone, it wouldn't make the news.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2013, 09:01 AM

Yup they are blaming Apple. Just because the idiot parents did something stupid Apple gets the blame. And of course the press thinks it is a big deal.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2013, 09:03 AM

The moral of this story is don't mess around with a 14-month old. She knows what she wants! Way to go, Sorella! Hi-Five!

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2013, 09:06 AM

....And to her Dad: don't even think about of getting Sorella a cheesy cheapo chewy plastic toy that makes stupid noises when you shake!

hayesk
Jul 11, 2013, 10:07 AM

The original story says "smartphone." So how did MacNN know it was an iPhone?

prl99
Senior User
Jul 11, 2013, 10:18 AM

I hope the $225 includes shipping. If he thinks it will be inexpensive to restore this car, he has another things coming. He can get parts but they won't be cheap. I'd start by fumigating the vehicle to get rid of spiders. I always wanted a 60's Austin Healey 3000 but those are very expensive after restoration.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 AM

Yeah... what hayesk said. I searched Google News and MacNN is the *only* website that says it was an iPhone. Are we making up news, now?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2013, 04:14 PM

I don't know where you guys are getting all this Apple-blame and "Apple's fault" stuff -- this is one of the more lighthearted "child accidentally spends money via iPhone" stories where the parents didn't blame Apple and make ridiculous demands.

The parents decided to keep the car and turn the experience into a nice story they can tell their daughter later in life, they didn't freak out and demand their money back, and they took logical, common-sense steps to make sure it didn't happen again (like putting a password on purchases).

I don't see where any kind of hate or blame is embodied anywhere in this story.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2013, 12:52 AM

I believe the original UPI wire story identified it as an iPhone, but may have been using the term generically. Looking at the video on KPTV I don't believe that is an iPhone, so we'll correct the story. Thanks for pointing this out.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules