Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 7 is terrible!

iOS 7 is terrible!
localnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2013, 10:24 PM

I upgraded to 7 on both my new generation iPad and iPhone 4. Both crash continually and typing is unbearable. I have had to slow to a crawl with my typing. I'll hit the letter "a" and it types in the letter "g"! Same with other letters, and it is all at random, it just happens. Same with spelling, I correctly type a word and it replaces it with something totally different.

Then my real problem, with wifi on, and connected to my network, it NOW defaults to cellular. It never did that under the prior operating system and has ate up a majority of my plans data usage. Am I the only one? I have these issues on both my iPad and iPhone that worked like Swiss watches until I upgraded. I am currently running the latest most updated OS. I would do a quick check, but Safari continually crashes too!

I checked after posting due to crash issues with Safari, I am running iOS 7.0.2

Ugh!

P
Sep 28, 2013, 04:51 AM

The typing thing appears to be fixed if you go to Settings -> iCloud and disable Documents & Data. When you're in there, disable Safari as well - IME, that fixes a lot of Safari crashes as well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

localnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2013, 07:45 AM

Thank you, your suggestion appears to be the answer I was looking for! I can now type as normal and safari has not crashed. Now if I could just get rid of this ugly MS looking GUI and go back to the last version. Any possibilities there? This new GUI is downright useless, and difficult to see and use in daylight and strains my eyes. I was going to upgrade our phones, but if this is where Apple is headed, I think I am going to go back to a flip phone. Allot cheaper too.

Again, thank you for your help, and listening to my rant. Maybe it could be forwarded to Apple.

localnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2013, 07:58 AM

Well, your fixed worked for about an hour, typing is again a mess and safari is back to crashing.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2013, 02:44 PM

Everything works fine on my devices. Try turning yours off by holding the top switch down until you get asked to swipe a red thingy if you want to power down, do that and wait a minute, then turn it back on with the same switch. It will take a minute or so to reboot.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2013, 10:10 PM

No issues here on two iPhone 4S's, an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini. There is every possibility that something went wonky in your upgrade. That means that you should back up and redo the upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't know the details of how to do that...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

localnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2013, 05:11 AM

Thanks guys, I have tried the reboot to no avail. Sadly, I do not have my MacBook Pro with me to erase this mess of an OS. Thank you for your help.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 11:47 AM

I would restore the phone from a backup using iTunes, at this point. You're seeing issues that do not sound normal.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2013, 03:27 PM

Your problems are all software-based. Restoring from backup will just put the problems back on the device.
Instead, save all photos to iPhoto. Then erase the device at:
Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings

When it powers back on, DO NOT restore from any back up. Set up as new. Sync over media an download your apps.

Pat J
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2013, 03:29 PM

I just finished updating 11 iPad 2's to iOS 7 and no issues at all. Sounds like some issues when you updated. I make sure all my ipads are backed up and I use iTunes.. not the Cloud.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2013, 07:41 PM

Been great on my iPhone 5, in comparison my iPad 3rd gen is less than great though.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2013, 12:53 PM

Aside from the color and interface choices from hell, my latest beef with iOS 7 is Apple Maps.

Is there a way to turn off all the damn layers? I have no need for this stuff, and it's a visual nightmare.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

localnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2013, 03:36 AM

Still crashing and typing is hit and miss, may take several minutes to type a simple sentence. iPhone 4 has same issues with 7. I downloaded 7 over my wifi connection during the night... It looks like I will have to scrub this thing and start from scratch. Is there any way to go back to the old, or last OS? Honestly 7 reminds me of an MS product, unreliable, visually tacky and just downright annoying. I have heard the same from more than a few Apple users.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 18, 2013, 06:38 AM

It definitely sounds like you need to start from scratch. With the enormous number of other users not having structural problems like yours, it's obvious that the OS isn't the problem, so either what was already on your devices and didn't get wiped or how your computer/download/iTunes handled the update. So in addition to re-downloading the update for both devices, I recommend you re-load iTunes, that you turn your computer off for a few minutes, and that you do the update to one device and check it out before you update the other.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

localnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2013, 07:47 AM

I downloaded 7 via software update over my wifi. My main computer is 1700 miles away. What would you recommend? Both my iPad and iPhone crash continually, I was ready to throw my phone out the window the other day and pitch this iPad in the trash. Can the guys at the apple store do anything?

P
Oct 18, 2013, 09:57 AM

Yes, they certainly can. Make an appointment and tell them about your problems.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by localnet View Post
I downloaded 7 via software update over my wifi. My main computer is 1700 miles away. What would you recommend? Both my iPad and iPhone crash continually, I was ready to throw my phone out the window the other day and pitch this iPad in the trash. Can the guys at the apple store do anything?
Of course! That's why they work at the Genius Bar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules