Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Info in the UK

Powerbook Info in the UK
inquisito
Jul 3, 2001, 07:50 AM

I'm a UK user of this site and I must say that it is the best I have found yet. However, my trouble is that I am in the UK and most of you out there are in the US or have access to US products. I'm waiting around for a Rev B powerbook g4 to come out this summer so I can snap one up.

I read the site regularly for news & views and I like what I see, however, I can't help but get a little frustrated when I read about all these great cases, sleeves and other things for the powerbook which are difficult to get hold of in the UK. Can anyone, be they fellow UKer or otherwise, point me in the right direction for kickass powerbook g4 accessories (cases & sleeves) etc.?

Keep up the goodwork guys!
Some men see things as they are and say why?
I dream things that never were and say why not?

Wattsy
Jul 3, 2001, 08:32 AM

You will be hard pushed to get a decent case for the Titanium PB in the UK. I scoured London looking for something decent recently and came up with nothing. You will *have* to look towards US suppliers if you want a TiPB specific case. I can recommend Waterfield Designs - http://www.sfbags.com/ - of San Francisco. Great service, very nice quality case (Racer-X) and good value and efficient shipping (about 3 days to the UK for about 20 quid). If you must buy in England the only maker of a nice TiPB specific case is Aluminium Case Company - http://www.aluminiumcases.com/ - but it is an expensive product (about 300 quid).

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 10:40 AM

I'm in the UK London as well been using this site for about a year really good.

for your question the UK is really slow at getting anything but most web based shops will do a really good world wide service shipping costs extra but can be arranged the only thing is make sure guarrentees are world wide some of them only cover the US etc... and make sure any 14 day trials start on arrival not on shipping and do not inclue shipping back time

Basically make sure that you get something you really want and that you are covered if it goes wrong

qnctv.com
Take a look...

blinkstudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 03:18 PM

I spent a long time looking on the net and all the London stores, sorry shops, and ended up with the Samsonite portfolio case thingy. Its what you might call a sleeve rather than a carry case. The thing is it was only 17 quid and until I decide to get some fancy case or product specifically designed for the Ti it does really nicely. It fits inside a backpack I have so I can fit the power supply, a mouse and stuff.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2001, 05:58 PM

I totally understand your frustration. As a user in France, I do get quite upset after pressing few buttons on my calculator everytime I see an interesting product here. VAT and delivery cost is really too much. But make sure you calculate well because sometimes you end up paying alot more than the price you usually pay in the States but still cheaper than what we pay in Europe.

Tjeerd van Hoytema
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 07:57 PM

I agree totally, I live in The Netherlands and getting my hands on Mac products I want can be quite difficult. The major problems for us in the "Euro" zone, are the low value of the Euro compared to the dollar, and a protective customs which technically blocks free trade. I've been interested in getting a processor upgrade for my G3, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth getting it in the States, unless I could get it past customs without them charching me for importing it. I've ordered other stuff in the States, books, etc. all below $200 and never had problems with that. But computer parts are more pricy and I'm not willing to pay an addituonal 10% extra at customs and 19% VAT over the total bill. It's just redicilous. So, I guess all I can do is try to get my hands on products in the EU, and see what that brings.

Too bad Apple isn't a European Computer manufacturer .
All we can hope for is that the EU and the NAFTA one day will open borders to make the transport of goods easier.
Tjeerd van Hoytema
The Netherlands

Proud Mac user since 1993

Mole
Jul 4, 2001, 08:42 PM

This is not being as bad as it was seeming. There are good reasons for bad things and we do not understand why bad things are good for us some times. This is just part of being citizen no? Someday we will understand if we know ha ha!
I am not allowed to have a signature because I was being naughty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules