Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So now that the new iMac is out...

So now that the new iMac is out...
Sudogenic
Aug 31, 2004, 11:45 AM

... How long do you think it will be before a G5 processor makes its way into a Powerbook?

Af first I thought "Well, if they can put a G5 into something like that, the G5 Powerbook is soon to follow."... But then the new iMac is 2" thick and quite large. Plus, the speed increase isn't massive (1.6-1.8, compared to the current 1.5GHz Powerbook line-up).

So... Will the next Powerbook be a G4 or a G5?

beastie28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 12:20 PM

I'm with you..after looking at the new design. If they can get all that into two inches with a standard 3.5" HD, I can't imagine that the G5 PB is that far off. Plus that display isn't really a laptop display, so once they put one of those on this design it shouldn't be more than 1.5" or so. I know they have to filter the G5 down through the different hardware lines, so I'd expect a PB announcement at the next big apple conference, which is in January right? Or I could be completely off base, being somewhat new to this Apple thing.
Aluminium Powerbook 12"/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/ComboDrive/AE/BT
P4 2.4GHz/512mb/WinXP/GeForce 6800 OC (Game machine)
AthlonXP 2000+/512mb/Fedora Core2 (Network Server, Router)
P3M 1.0GHz/384mb/Win2000 (Carputer, work in progress)

t4r1q
Aug 31, 2004, 01:17 PM

the new imac has 3 fans running at low rpms. the fan(s) in the G5 PB will probably be running all the time (at higher speeds and with more noise) if a G5 came out soon

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 01:46 PM

im guessing one year before we see the g5 pb.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 01:55 PM

Not to mention the massive heatsink the iMac is sure to have, taking up a lot of space and weighing a lot. Remember, the iMac may be 2" thick (which is twice as thick), but it weighs 25 pounds. Also, the iMac has no battery.

I have no doubt that the next Powerbook will be G4.
( Last edited by anamexis; Aug 31, 2004 at 02:07 PM. )

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 03:48 PM

Yep the PBG5 definitely won't be around for a while. Also note that the lower 1/3 of the iMac is not occupied by the screen so it maybe be used up internally for components.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 03:52 PM

Indeed.
Check out a picture of the inside of the iMac here.

freeflydrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 04:20 PM

I'm leaning more towards a dual processor G4 1.5 Ghz PB before we see the PB G5...

Bandersnatch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by anamexis:
Indeed.
Check out a picture of the inside of the iMac here.
Great picture.

Are there any EEs around here? What's the deal with all the giant capacitors on the mother board? Or maybe that's part of the power supply - I see some toroidal transformers nearby. But that begs the same question. What's with all the giant capacitors? I count 32 cans in there.

"As long as we have 2 inches of space, lets use the tall ones - and lots of 'em."

anly
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 10:47 PM

I'm no EE, but these "larger" capcitors are def. cheaper. Small capacitors often use more exotic materials (e.g. tantalum) which give higher capacitance compared to regular materials.
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 12:55 AM

Wasn't there talk of the next Powerbook being DualCore? Actually clock speed wise the G4 holds its own quite well to the G5. If they can get pseudo-dual capacity out of a G4 then who cares about G5 at least in a powerbook.

Plus Powerbook DualCore sounds cool.

anonx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 01:16 AM

Just an observation, but the current 15" PowerBook (new in box) is listed on the special deals part of the Apple Store site, under the sale section at $1799. I can't remember the last time I've seen Apple have a sale on an item like this. Could this be a sign that something new is coming?

Also, the weight of the new iMac includes the stand, which i assume weighs at least 5 lbs... It has to be heavy to keep that thing from tipping over. Take 5 lbs away from the 17 incher, and you have a 13 lb computer (comparable to some dell laptops ). Also note that the iMac still uses desktop parts, including a normal size SuperDrive and has a built-in power supply. It seems very likely that the next revision of the PowerBook could be a G5.
( Last edited by anonx; Sep 1, 2004 at 01:22 AM. )

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 03:08 AM

i would definitely be very tempted to buy if the Pb G5 comes out.

man, the G5 iMac looks so good....
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 03:36 AM

time will tell ... do you think there will be a new powerbook inclosure? and do you think the 12'inch would be included in G5 goodness?!?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:38 AM

I think all 3 models of the current PB line are very popular, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep these sizes for the G5 PB's ...

question : has there ever been a dual proc PB ?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by anonx:
Just an observation, but the current 15" PowerBook (new in box) is listed on the special deals part of the Apple Store site, under the sale section at $1799.
The PB model on sale is not 'current' i.e. 1 GHz G4.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 04:01 AM

i couldnt find any either..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 04:57 AM

For reference: The iMac G5 is thicker than an XServe and consumes a whopping ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY WATTS of power (peak).

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 08:23 AM

Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:31 AM

Double post.. sorry
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 11:41 AM

Uh huh.............trying to one up us are you? +1
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tigas
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by LoganCharles:
Wasn't there talk of the next Powerbook being DualCore? Actually clock speed wise the G4 holds its own quite well to the G5. If they can get pseudo-dual capacity out of a G4 then who cares about G5 at least in a powerbook.

Plus Powerbook DualCore sounds cool.
That's not pseudo-dual. Dual-core is two whole CPUs (with their respective caches) in one socket.

Pseudo-dual is the Intel (R) Hyperthreading (TM), in real life Simultaneous Multithreading - if one program thread is not using all resources of the CPU, another thread (on a virtual CPU) gets to use the leftover. Although I'd like to see a Dual core with hyperthreading (pseudo-quad!)

[on topic] because of power and thermal requirements, having a G5 in a Powerbook would mean running it at 1.4GHz tops, with cream of the crop CPUs. Not that there are buckets of G5s to skim the top off... So, either a G4 with integrated memory controller (20% upgrade in performance for the same clockspeed) or a dual-core G4 for at least a year, maybe 18 months. [/on topic]

tigas
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Bandersnatch:
Great picture.

Are there any EEs around here? What's the deal with all the giant capacitors on the mother board? Or maybe that's part of the power supply - I see some toroidal transformers nearby. But that begs the same question. What's with all the giant capacitors? I count 32 cans in there.

"As long as we have 2 inches of space, lets use the tall ones - and lots of 'em."
Whoa! Am I seeing things? The "wireless module" went back to the "airport classic" slot instead of the Extreme slot? Or is Apple FINALLY using standard PCMCIA boards for wireless?

I hope that it's compatible with the old Airport and that it includes Bluetooth. My Pismo would get one of those tomorrow. (or as soon as I can get my hands on one...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules