Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook G5: will it be more powerful than this iMac G5?

PowerBook G5: will it be more powerful than this iMac G5?
NY152
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 09:57 PM

When Apple does release a PowerBook G5 will it be more powerful than the just released iMac? What's your best guess?
<over-large signature edited by management>

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 10:12 PM

Probably on par with the iMac, with the iMac taking the lead sometimes, and the PB taking the lead sometimes.
iamwhor3hay

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2004, 10:18 PM

No way the PB will best a desktop for performance. The HD is simply better on the desktops.

The main question is whether this performance difference matters -- if you are video editing, seems to me you're better off with a powermac dual G5. If you need the mobility, the PB still works pretty well (even with a G4 processor). An iMac smacks right in between, something you'd use if space is a big deal and a G5 processor is likely to be useful to you. Otherwise, buy a laptop, it'll be more versatile.

I seem to be a minority on these boards -- I don't think I'd like any G5 PB Apple could make right now. It would either be too large due to the liquid cooling system attached to make the G5 work at decent speeds (and have horrible battery life). or be underclocked to make the performance update marginal, especially given than a dual G4 PB with current chips would likely be even faster than any low speed G5. And if the new Moto can delivery a dual core G4 laptop chip, it would make an update possible without more than a motherboard update.

RonnieoftheRose
Sep 6, 2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:
No way the PB will best a desktop for performance.
The Ti-800 bested the Dual PM-800 in most benchmarks. Nobody knows the reason why.

By the time the PBG5 comes out it will be more powerful than the current iMac.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 11:05 PM

By the time the PBG5 comes out, there will be an iMac G6.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 01:54 AM

I'm curious about the GPU performance. How fast are the Mobility Radeons -- my 9600, the current 9700, the future (?) 9800 -- compared to the iMac's nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 02:04 AM

The current Powerbook armed with the 128mb graphics card is already faster than an iMac's. So if the Powerbook were to only start at 1.6, I'd take it over the 1.8 iMac on issues of portability and video speed. Probably a push for overall speed when a 7200 rpm hard drive is installed in the future Powerbook.

PeteWK

anly
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
By the time the PBG5 comes out, there will be an iMac G6.
LOL....
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
The Ti-800 bested the Dual PM-800 in most benchmarks. Nobody knows the reason why.

By the time the PBG5 comes out it will be more powerful than the current iMac.
The Ti-800 came out quite a while after the dual 800.. could be a number of things.

Don't forget the benchmark was probably not dual CPU aware, which would have provided a tremendous boost.

I'll side with those against a powerbook g5. It'd take quite a bit more energy (especially at max load), and put out quite a bit of heat (and the G4s already run hot enough.. haven't you ever heard the PB12" nicknamed george foreman grill?)

I'm looking forward to 5400/7200rpm drives (again), and a radeon 9800 doing the video.. that and maybe a 1.8ghz g4.. that'd be sweet.
Aloha

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 06:26 AM

The desktop will always trump the laptop, due to size, heat, and form factor.

Dude, the G5 Powerbook will be a while away. Don't even worry about it for at least another 6 to 8 months.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SEkker:
[B]No way the PB will best a desktop for performance. The HD is simply better on the desktops.

Once I put in a 7200 rpm drive, my machine was on par or past some desktop machines of the same speed.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:

Dude, the G5 Powerbook will be a while away. Don't even worry about it for at least another 6 to 8 months.
Not only that, but it is quite probable that the current G5 (970 FX) will never be used in the Powerbooks. People here need to realize that this is a desktop/server chip. If Apple is ever going to use a G5 in the Powerbooks, this would be some special design for mobile applications. A separate chip generation.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
When Apple does release a PowerBook G5 will it be more powerful than the just released iMac? What's your best guess?
It probably will, because I dont expect PowerBook G5 to be out before next summer!

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 06:07 AM

I think we should all wait and see what Ryan thinks. He seems to be the expert....

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
I think we should all wait and see what Ryan thinks. He seems to be the expert....

What's this Ryan story?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 08:44 AM

I think its a little blown out of proportaion at this point.

He was so sure that there will be no G5 iMac in 2004 and so a thread debating this issue went on and on. Now after the fact some people called him on it and telling him to apology (I think he as a little hard on people) but did it deserve a mea culpa? I don't know.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules