Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Camino 1.0b1...

Camino 1.0b1...
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 12:35 AM

...is out, and very, very nice.

Looks good (unified window style like Tiger's Mail.app) and zippy fast.

After playing with it for a while, the only complaint I have is the lack of a MacOS X services spell checker Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2005, 07:44 AM

I think that's the most wished for feature. It'll come eventually.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 12:23 PM

I don't care about spelling. I want extensions.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
I don't care about spelling. I want extensions.
Then use Firefox. Sheesh.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Everyone else on Earth has needs that are exactly the same as yours.

The functionality that allows extensions to work causes security holes. Anyone who is not using the extensions would be better off using Camino.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

deuce868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS

Oh, wait, I forgot. Everyone else on Earth has needs that are exactly the same as yours.

The functionality that allows extensions to work causes security holes. Anyone who is not using the extensions would be better off using Camino.
Odd, I didn't realize JS extenstions and such in Firefox caused so many security holes. I know greasemonkey did, but in reality it was the design. The only reason there's a lack of extensions is that Camino isn't done in XUL like the rest of mozilla. Please don't pass along a bunch of security FUD tied to extensions. I didn't realize that color picker extension was going to be the downfall of my machine.

Try a bunch out and you'll find there are extensions for everyone. From the bookmarks syncing to web developer toolbar it's not "your needs vs my needs". There are extension for all kinds of needs. Forgive us poor souls who wish to use a mac native app with extensions...it's called a feature request. Sheesh...

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver

After playing with it for a while, the only complaint I have is the lack of a MacOS X services spell checker Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

I like it very much myself.

As for a spell checker, I use the Google search window in the top right of the screen. I copy a word that I think is misspelled, pasted it in the window and right click. You get OS X's spell check option. It's not like having it built right in, but is better than nothing.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 02:09 PM

That's pretty clever.
-- Jason

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2005, 02:20 PM

I like it. Lots of little perfomance bugs are gone from previous versions. Like slow scrolling, writing in forms, etc. It seems a bit faster than Firefox, less of a resource hog than even the new safari. I can live without spell check and extensions on a second browser anyway.

It's funny though, I just haven't really fealt the need for extensions. Maybe I'm missing out, or maybe I just need less from my browser.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 05:14 PM

Anyone who is holding their breath for extensions in Camino should stop--they aren't coming anytime soon, and probably never. Spellchecker is hard to implement, due to issues I don't fully understand, but that is on the agenda.

Camino has everything I need: faster than anyone else, stable, supported by almost every website I surf and built-in ad blocking. I've been using it since it was Chimera 0.4 and it keeps getting better.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 05:24 PM

There is a Camino "bug" about the missing spellcheck support:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151040

But the core need to have a spellchecker mechanism before it can happend:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58612

So if you want this fixed, please vote for the core bug. Since thats what mainly stop the Camino developers from adding spellcheck support.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 07:12 PM

With UNO everything is unified, including Safari (which is fast, supports extensions and spelling). Why should I care about Camino again? They were awesome back in the days of only a poorly ported mozilla and internet explorer, but now they seem to be sandwiched between Firefox and Safari. If it had the extensibility of Firefox and the interface it has today it would easily decimate FF though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 07:14 PM

Can't I make a comment about browsers without you breathing down my neck? Knock it the **** off. It's annoying.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
Can't I make a comment about browsers without you breathing down my neck? Knock it the **** off. It's annoying.
No, it's annoying when there can't ever be a thread anywhere about any browser other than Firefox without you showing up, like clockwork, to complain about it. If I were to piss all over every thread that ever came up about Firefox (which gets kind of tempting after reading whine after whine after whine in every Camino thread), I'm sure you'd get quite irritated after a while too.

Seriously. You need extensions. Then DON'T USE CAMINO. Just use what works for you, and "knock it the asterisk off" trying to proselytize everyone else. It's annoying.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by deuce868
Odd, I didn't realize JS extenstions and such in Firefox caused so many security holes. I know greasemonkey did, but in reality it was the design. The only reason there's a lack of extensions is that Camino isn't done in XUL like the rest of mozilla. Please don't pass along a bunch of security FUD tied to extensions. I didn't realize that color picker extension was going to be the downfall of my machine.
Well, the thing that bothers me about it is that, as I understand it, the XUL stuff means that the interface is essentially in JavaScript. This means that there have to exist mechanisms for JavaScript to be able to do basically anything, including read/write files on the hard disk and execute arbitrary code. Of course, only JavaScripts in the chrome are able to do this, whereas normal JavaScripts on a web site cannot, because the chrome stuff is sandboxed from everything else. And that's all fine and dandy, until someone finds a security hole in the sandbox and discovers a way to break through it. Then, you get exploits like this one last May. Of course, the Mozilla guys can fix the bug or design flaw in the sandbox, and patch up particular exploits, but then as soon as another hole either turns up or gets added due to some other change, then whammo, any website that wants to can own your system.

Basically, it's the same type of situation as ActiveX. It allows lots of neat functionality, but it makes it way too likely for big security problems to show up. And I think that as Firefox gets more popular, it will see security holes showing up at a more rapid rate, like IE. For this reason, since I never use extensions, I see no reason to use Firefox rather than another browser like Camino, Safari, or Shiira that does basically what I want it to do, which is serve up HTML pages. If your needs involve you customizing your browser to the max, then go ahead and do it. But some of the rest of us would rather just follow a Keep It Simple, Stupid approach to the whole thing. Less fancy stuff means less stuff to exploit...

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 09:22 PM

I found it very awesome with speed and usage and it looks awesome as well.

Totality best broswer for us besides Firefox.

So Camino is just awesome!

Christian

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 12:15 AM

I'm using the new beta now. Seems to be pretty good, and they fixed that annoying bug that messed up typing in forum windows. I can live without spellcheck or extensions, but does anyone know if there are plans to include RSS capability? I've kinda gotten hooked on that with Safari.

As for you Firefoxers, I'd take the ability to use OSX Services (which Camino has and Firefox doesn't) over Firefox extensions any day, but different strokes etc.

Still not sure if I'll switch from Safari, though. I don't like brushed metal, but beyond that, I don't see much compelling reason to switch, and Safari's RSS feature is one I use a lot. What would Camino give me that Safari doesn't? It seems a tad faster in 10.3.4, but not enough to warrant a switch.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 12:44 AM

Its great and now my new browser seems to be the fastest on OS x
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 01:01 AM

It is much faster than Firefox and Safari; i use it every day, and Safari is a poor, benighted backup browser.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:15 PM

Is anyone having any issues with text rendering? MacNN renders fine, CNN and others, but some sites like nytimes.com and news.bbc.co.uk render really really small to me it seems. The speed increase over firefox is great, especially on my older powerbook, but the text might send me back to safari or firefox.

EDIT: ok, reset font prefs under appearance, all is well... funny, 3 years ago I had that same problem with camino, must have been a pref file sitting here forever.
( Last edited by Avenir; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:24 PM. )

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:44 PM

Ok, I really do have a question this time:

Camino supports my custom search strings that I setup in Firefox (and came across when I imported all the firefox bookmarks). But I don't know how to add a new one. In Fox I just right-clicked the seach field and it gave me the option to "add custom search string" or something like that, but I don't see that option in camino. Any ideas? The documentation on Camino's site isn't showing me anything.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister
It is much faster than Firefox and Safari; i use it every day, and Safari is a poor, benighted backup browser.
I honestly don't see this on my machine. I'm using Safari 2.0.2 and it is just as fast as Camino or Firefox. The performance crown seems to be a toss up between these 3 browsers at any given moment in time. This is on a PowerBook G4 1.33 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM.

OAW

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Avenir
Ok, I really do have a question this time:

Camino supports my custom search strings that I setup in Firefox (and came across when I imported all the firefox bookmarks). But I don't know how to add a new one. In Fox I just right-clicked the seach field and it gave me the option to "add custom search string" or something like that, but I don't see that option in camino. Any ideas? The documentation on Camino's site isn't showing me anything.
All you have to do is:

1. Do a search with whichever search engine it is that you're using.

2. Bookmark the result.

3. Go into your bookmarks, and replace the search string you used with '%s'. For example, if you did a search for "test", you would find "test" in the URL string and replace it with %s.

4. Set a keyword for the bookmark in the "Keyword" column and you're all set.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I honestly don't see this on my machine. I'm using Safari 2.0.2 and it is just as fast as Camino or Firefox. The performance crown seems to be a toss up between these 3 browsers at any given moment in time. This is on a PowerBook G4 1.33 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM.

OAW

My problem with firefox when going back or foward through previous webpages its slow. Camino snaps back and forth quickly. Not really that bad just an annoyance.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Ratm
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 11:01 PM

Yes.....oh yes.... I'm really liking it.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 02:36 AM

All you have to do is:

1. Do a search with whichever search engine it is that you're using.

2. Bookmark the result.

3. Go into your bookmarks, and replace the search string you used with '%s'. For example, if you did a search for "test", you would find "test" in the URL string and replace it with %s.

4. Set a keyword for the bookmark in the "Keyword" column and you're all set.

sounds good, figured that's what I'd have to do. I hope eventually they document this "feature" for those who haven't used Firefox before, it's one of my favorites (google image search --> "image cows" done)

tikki
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 03:27 AM

The new trend of everyone going for unified toolbars is annoying.

The fact that many of them are doing it for preferences panels is even worse. It looks horrid.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by tikki

The fact that many of them are doing it for preferences panels is even worse. It looks horrid.
What? You really still like "Brushed Metal" ?

I have never into Brushed Metal look @ all.

Camino looks so awesome with Shinobi theme with "TitaniumCamino" buttons.

Christian

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by tikki

Yo' weird
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Nov 11, 2005 at 06:02 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 03:21 PM

I use the 'OmniAqua' Theme (with CaminIcon), looks great.

gregpins
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 08:08 PM

Loving the new Camino build. My only problem with it is scrolling. It is faster than Safari in every respect except for scrolling. Still really chokes on ESPN.com, for example.

Moreover, Safari is not currently working Google Maps at all, which is a big problem for me.

Also, how freaking hard is it to add a "Send Link" button to Safari? I did a simple little hack to make one in the bookmarks bar, but it's realliy a basic thing that should be in the toolbar. I send links to people easily 10 times a day.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 08:31 PM

Command-Shift-I in Safari 2.0+ will email a link to the current page.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 05:00 AM

Sorry if this has already been addressed or sounds dumb, but I got this message when trying to set up an avatar using Camino.

We're sorry, Yahoo! Avatars doesn't currently support your operating system and/or browser.

To use Yahoo! Avatars, you need:

* Macintosh OSX
* One of these browsers:
o Safari 1.3.1,
o Safari 2.0.2 or higher,
o Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2,
o Macromedia Flash Player 8.0
If Camino is built with the same backbone as FireFox, then how come I get this message?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Sorry if this has already been addressed or sounds dumb, but I got this message when trying to set up an avatar using Camino.

If Camino is built with the same backbone as FireFox, then how come I get this message?
Because Yahoo! Avatars is being stupid, and is sniffing your user-agent. Try changing the user-agent to Firefox, and it'll probably work.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 06:52 AM

CharlesS: How do I change the user-agent?

[EDIT:] Nevermind. I found it with CamiTools. Now Yahoo thinks Camino is FireFox for Windows! Cool!
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Dec 6, 2005 at 07:10 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the tip CharlesS. Now even the javascripts works!

This is TypePad’s formatting palette in (1) Firefox (2) Opera (3) OmniWeb, and (4) Safari (from MacWorld)

While FireFox handled javascripts well in Blogger and Gmail, Camino only handled Blogger fine. But Gmail was still blank. That is, until I changed the user agent! So simple, yet so effective!

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 08:04 AM

Camino has improved alot. I think it is zippy and compared to Firefox, more Mac-like, that's for sure. (To be expected, since it's OS X native.)

The one thing I wish it had: better cookie management. OmniWeb and the Moz suite let you block individual sites, which I like alot. I wish Camino did this.
i look in your general direction

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 10:02 AM

Isn't "Edit Exceptions List…" in 'Privacy' Camino preferences pane aimed to do it?

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by pliny
The one thing I wish it had: better cookie management. OmniWeb and the Moz suite let you block individual sites, which I like alot. I wish Camino did this.
It does: in Preferences : Privacy : Ask before accepting each cookie. (Even though it says "each cookie" it really does it on a site basis).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 04:33 PM

well this is sort of what i mean, but then there is an annoying sheet that you have to click for each and every cookie of each and every site. I

In OW and moz, you can do it from the main menu, it is much more efficient. you can set to not except cookies, and then accept on per site basis. It's def. more work on Camino.
i look in your general direction

delete
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 06:52 PM

Over at OSX Hints they had an interesting tidbit I didn't know (guess I'm slow). If you hold down the command key while scrolling you can change the type size on the fly. Pretty cool in certain instances where you stumble onto a site with micro type.
The latest builds are nice, I do like the smooth scrolling in Safari though.

HamSandwich
Dec 6, 2005, 10:40 PM

Moreover, Safari is not currently working Google Maps at all, which is a big problem for me.
Works perfectly for me...

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:28 AM

I've been using Camino as my main browser for about 2 weeks now and it's great! Fast, stable, and renders every site well. The only thing I miss about Safari is the built-in RSS Reader. Other than that, the unified look is nice, the tabs look great and I love that the javascripts work on every site.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2005, 10:44 PM

Safari comes in Unified with either UNO or Saft too

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 11:13 PM

By any chance does it (probably it doesn't) support FireFox extensions ? Adblock for instance ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Caetano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sarc
By any chance does it (probably it doesn't) support FireFox extensions ? Adblock for instance ?
No, but there are plans on integrating that into Camino 1.0, and if that doesn't happen, in Camino 2.0. Some guy filed a bug stating that with manual install, most of the Firefox extensions work on Camino just fine.

So I guess it's wait and see.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Caetano
No, but there are plans on integrating that into Camino 1.0, and if that doesn't happen, in Camino 2.0. Some guy filed a bug stating that with manual install, most of the Firefox extensions work on Camino just fine.

So I guess it's wait and see.
I think I found that bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=244890

However, it doesn't even come close to saying that most extensions work on Camino. It's saying that some XPI extensions work, and gives FlashBlock as an example. So there might be a certain subset of extensions that work with Camino, but I would guess that there would be more that do not, since Camino is not an XUL app.

Personally, I like it that way, because for those of us that don't use extensions, they're just one more place for hackers to find security holes and control other people's computers. For those that need extension support, Firefox is always available.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 07:29 AM

Well, today I tried Camino 1.0b1. I liked it, I really did, the browser just "felt right". Quite speedy I might add.
But without extensions I loose way too much stuff (specifically Adblock, Gestures and BugMeNot) and I'm sorry to say I kinda got used to the banner-less internet.

Excellent work by the developers though.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Jens Peter
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sarc
Well, today I tried Camino 1.0b1. I liked it, I really did, the browser just "felt right". Quite speedy I might add.
But without extensions I loose way too much stuff (specifically Adblock, Gestures and BugMeNot) and I'm sorry to say I kinda got used to the banner-less internet.

Excellent work by the developers though.
If you use a HOST-file, you have banner-blocking in all browsers!

See this thread (the last posts) on details.

It works great !

Oh - and I love Camino for the feature that you can have only the favicon in the bookmark bar

jmgriff
Dec 21, 2005, 11:12 AM

Those wanting to block ads or flash etc might want to look at CamiTools:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19990

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2005, 03:23 AM

So, what do you Caminophiles use for RSS viewing? That's about the only thing that keeps me from using it as my primary rather than secondary browser (after Safari). Isn't it less convenient to use a separate RSS viewer rather than having RSS in your browser?

Forum Links
Forum Rules