Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omniweb 5.1.1

Omniweb 5.1.1 (Page 2)
JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2005, 07:11 AM

Out of interest, those folks experiencing regular crashing - do you use any haxies at all? If so, exclude OmniWeb from APE and see if that improves things.

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 12:23 PM

Hi there OmniDudes - just wondering if there's any news you can share regarding the 5.5 update. (and yes, I can live with a MacWorld annoucement )

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2006, 12:36 PM

Well, in the absence of any OG folks responding, I'll pre-empt them:

They're working on it, it fixes most of the bugs and other issues reported to them and it'll be ready when its ready.

More seriously - I do know they are working on it as responses to a few of my more recent bug reports for the 5.1.3 beta have been along the lines of "this works on our internal 5.5 builds"

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 12:44 PM

Thanks very much for the fast reply and info. I know they're working on it but here's wishing one of the Omni people giving us a release date I have no problems with the current beta except speed, which can be annoying at times so OW with the fastest Safari engine available is mouthwateringly (is that even a word?) exciting

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 03:55 PM

I too have heard the "it works in 5.5" replies.

I have not, however, heard anything about what 5.5 will have in the way of features.

If 5.5 is to 5.1 what OG 4 was to 3 I will be very happy.

BZ

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 06:17 PM

The only thing I know is slated for 5.5 is that they're working on switching over to the newly open-sourced WebKit, in lieu of continuing their own equivalent layered on top of WebCore. In the long run this will make it easier for them to keep pace with the improvement being made to Safari.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 04:36 PM

Ken Case recently posted this information to the OmniWeb Mailing list - not as much progress as I would have hoped for (seems like there is still a lot to do, but maybe the harder stuff has already been done) but at least it is getting done:

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you all a status update on OmniWeb 5.5.

First, some background: starting with OmniWeb 4.5, we've been using Apple's open source WebCore framework (based on khtml) as our rendering engine. Unfortunately (as you've all seen), WebCore doesn't have a stable API which means that (depending on how much has changed in WebCore) it can take quite a while to integrate new versions of WebCore when they're released.

Fortunately for us the picture changed in a big way last year at WWDC, when Apple opened up the rest of their WebKit source code: WebKit does have stable API, so applications built on top of it can upgrade to newer versions of WebKit without having to rewrite their code with each release. OmniWeb 5.5 will be the first version of OmniWeb to be based on WebKit rather than WebCore, taking advantage of all of the latest performance enhancements in Safari 2 as well as making it easier to stay on top of those changes in the future.

So, where are we now?

At this point, we have OmniWeb 5.5 running on top of a slightly customized WebKit, with our thumbnail tabs (except for a bug with loading frame sets in background tabs), workspaces, bookmarks, custom cookie handling, ad blocking (by ad size, third party sites, or regular expression), some of our site preferences (font style, inline images, JavaScript and Java and cookie controls, and the browser identification/masquerade setting), our source code editor, downloads, and our context menus.

We're still missing some of our mouse and keyboard interactions (you can't option-drag a link to drag out a window, click-hold a link to get a context menu, or click on a blocked ad to load it), zoomed editing, some site preferences (including animation controls), page info, activity monitor, authentication in the source view, password autofill, autocomplete, the ability to show HTTP requests, save as (single page) PDF, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

In other words, we've made quite a bit of progress on quite a few of the major features of OmniWeb, but there's still a lot of work to do before 5.5 really feels like an upgrade to 5.1. (I've been trying to use 5.5 as my primary browser lately, but whenever I move from basic browsing to doing any sort of web work I end up switching back to 5.1. Fortunately, with persistent workspaces already implemented I'm able to switch back and forth without losing all my context.)

It's a bit early to say exactly when OmniWeb 5.5 will enter public beta, but we'll try to provide more frequent status updates as we get closer. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Ken

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 09:29 PM

Thanks for that update.

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 9, 2006, 05:51 AM

Excellent answer. Seems it might take a while before it's released, which is unfortunate (but only because I'm so extremely impatient ), but otherwise it all looks very promising.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 12:56 PM

Doesn't sound like much in terms of features.

I hope OminGroup understand that new and features are what keep people buying their product.

BZ

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 9, 2006, 01:24 PM

OW has features enough, the one thing it lacks is speed - this update will fix that! More than enough in my book!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Macanoid
OW has features enough, the one thing it lacks is speed - this update will fix that! More than enough in my book!
Age old debate, but a losing battle for OmniGraffle.

If they were ever to catch up with Safari for speed, there would be Firefox which is much quicker in development and much much faster.

OminWeb has its hands full with Safari + Firefox and now free Opera.

BZ

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 03:37 PM

Dp!

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 06:34 PM

did I see a link for beta testers wanted for OW? If so I'm there!

Forum Links
Forum Rules