Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dental Hell

Dental Hell (Page 2)
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
The type of crown? I know it was expensive.
I was just curious if it was a brand name like Captek, Empress, Wol-Ceram or something else. I work for a company that owns a number of dental offices, so I'm just curious to see how people choose. There are a variety of price points for crowns (resin composite, porcelain, cast metal). For cash patients, they can run from $450-1000, depending on type.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:53 AM

Hi Cody,

Happy to know that you are better. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 11:31 AM

OH. MY. TOOTH. HURTS. LIKE. CRAP.

I was told to expect "a little soreness for a couple of days."

It's the 4th day and I feel like someone has shot me in the freaking jaw.

My eye socket on the right side (the side that was worked on) is pounding like someone pressing their thumb into my eyeball repeatedly...my ear hurts like heck...my jaw feels broken in the hinge...

My tooth is throbbing: BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...

OWWWwwwww...

I just made a phone call to the dentist and of course, he's off today for the holiday.

But, he is calling in antibiotics and painkillers at the local pharmacy.

My tooth looks bad. My gums are all red and puffy and near the tooth itself the gums have turned dark blue/black. I think it's infected.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 11:54 AM

If you think it is an infection and your current dentist is not addressing it go see another one. Also, if it hurts so much, ask you dentist to prescribe to you Tylenol 3, it is going to make you a little sleepy but the pain is going to take the pain away.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks, Monique.

Actually, I LOVE my dentist. He's in the Bahamas for the weekend and he just called me from there and has already called in antibiotics and Vicodin. I'll see him tomorrow for a check-up.

He says that what my mouth is doing is a little unusual, but not uncommon with the amount of work I had done.

Is Tylenol 3 the same as Vicodin?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:22 PM

I believe Tylenol 3 has Codeine. Vicodin is hydrocodone.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Monique.

Actually, I LOVE my dentist. He's in the Bahamas for the weekend and he just called me from there and has already called in antibiotics and Vicodin. I'll see him tomorrow for a check-up.

He says that what my mouth is doing is a little unusual, but not uncommon with the amount of work I had done.

Hi Cody,

Miss you. So sorry to hear about your dental problems.

They aren't' the same. Tylenol #3 has Codeine added. Vicodin has a synthetic narcotic added.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:32 PM

What's the difference? You're the doctor so tell us.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 08:52 PM

What's the difference? You're the doctor so tell us.

Hi Cody,

First not your fault, but upset had a very nice response and then MacNN decided to go off line.

Vicodin is stronger has the strength of Demerol and Morphine. In a much easier pill form to take by mouth. It is important to drink plenty of fluids. Because narcotics are constipating.

Cody I'm concerned by your description of your current oral condition. Think you should be seen by a physician today.

Please iChat soon.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 02:39 AM

I will be in the dentists chair tomorrow... in about 13 hours actually... I am having a root canal done on a tooth that he already worked on a couple years ago...

I have had some pain the past two days but today has been really really easy... no pain at all!

I am glad to have it fixed though!

Zach

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 07:21 AM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 11:57 AM

You are in my prayers and thoughts today Cody. Will be anxious to here the results of your visit. Concerned as I have mentioned.

Please take care.

I will be here, anytime Cody.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
You are in my prayers and thoughts today Cody. Will be anxious to here the results of your visit. Concerned as I have mentioned.

Please take care.

I will be here, anytime Cody.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 11:14 PM

Hi nredman:

How are ya?

I love you too...don't worry.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 04:35 AM

My worst dental experience was when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Keep in mind that I said removed, not pulled.

I had the gross (and I mean that in both senses of the word) misfortune of having severly impacted wisdom teeth (3rd molars). Further more, my 2rd upper right adult molar never came in as it got caught on the 1st molar, meaning as my 3 molar developed in moved higher into my jaw, and was actually breaking through into my nasal passage!

I'll never forget the shock I felt when the doc asked my after explaing that he was essentially tearing half my face apart in a risky 7 hour long surgery, in which recovery would my extremely painful if I would like anesthesia (sp?) or a local pain killer!

I think my responce was along the lines of "Well as much fun as a proceedure like that sounds with me awake for 7 hours while you bore tunnel from my nose to mouth, I think rather sleep through this one."

It took nearly 2 months to recover, until the tunnel healed in (which it did). Seezing was often a bloody and painful experience.
iGeek

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 04:39 AM

I had a dry socket when I had my 4 wisdom teeth out.

Didn't realize it until I passed out on my bathroom floor due to the pain. That was a fun one.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 06:05 AM

i dont want to hijack this thread, but I had a root canal today... and I am in NO pain... my appt. was at 1 and I got out at 2:15 I took an aleve before and after my appt and it's now 3am and I am in NO pain whatsoever... the area that the tooth is in is a little tender... but I am just amazed that I am in no pain at all...

Zach

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 06:14 AM

I had the four wisdom teeth taken out at the same time as well. As earlier mentioned, one of the most painful things I've been through. Ordered to have it done while in the military, and they dictated the terms. Local anesthetic only. Ripped open both corners of my mouth during the procedure, which took weeks to heal.

That was over 25 years ago, but recently had a root canal done, and I think some cleanings have been more uncomfortable. I was amazed since it's so hyped as being torturous.

btw, my wife just completed getting all her old amalgam fillings removed, and I'm half way there. The dentist we use has a letter sent by the Commonwealth of Mass to all dentists laminated and taped to his counter. It talks about the toxicity of the mercury in amalgam, and how a screening system must be in place for when patients expectorate into the basin. This is to prevent the mercury making its way to the ocean, rivers etc... which cause fish kill, or when the fish take in the mercury and we eat the fish we take in mercury.

The doc wrote in "If the state takes it seriously enough to send a letter about mercury leaching into the water system, why are we allowing this stuff to be put in our mouths?".

Looks a whole lot better too.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 10:06 AM

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed about two-three years ago, and of course opted for the general anaesthetic. My recovery time was about one day, in the sense that after a day I stopped taking the Oxycodone or whatever it was that the doctor gave me. (Obviously I laid off the corn chips for a little longer. ) No pain whatsoever -- it was amazing.

Makes me want to opt for general anaesthesia for cavity fillings.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 18, 2006, 10:19 AM

First off, I think the "mercury may be leaching into your body" bit is a big scam by some dentists. The mercury risk is actually one the DENTIST has to worry about; by the time the amalgam filling has solidified, almost all of the mercury has evaporated out of it and into the room's air. Mercury vapor DOES collect in dental treatment rooms, and dentists have to worry about that. But within a day or two 100% of the mercury in a properly placed amalgam filling is gone. All of it. Totally. Porcelain or other white filling material is fine, durable and more esthetic, but don't go to the expense of replacing fillings that are still fine just because you are afraid of mercury.

I had my wisdom teeth out on September 11, 1978 at Keesler AFB, Mississippi. I told them "I don't want any part of me but my mouth to be present when you do this," so they used Valium and Demerol. Good stuff! I was pretty much taped down into the wheelchair when they got done with me to keep me from floating away!

Anyway, the next day Hurricane Frederic had changed course and was bearing down on Biloxi-oops! My wife (we were not yet married) talked the doctor into checking me out of the ward they put me in overnight so she could take me to the shelter. I slept through the hurricane-Darvoset is also your friend! I did get in trouble for not showing up at the dental clinic to have my sutures taken out on the appointed day-the dentist actually YELLED at me for being three days late, like he wasn't aware that there's been a hurricane and that young airmen were all doing cleanup duties all over the place. Jerk.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 10:32 AM

My face hurts like HELL.

I've been vomiting all night long.

I've got to go in this morning (was there yesterday morning also) to have it looked at also.

Where's the crying Smiley? Oh, yeah, right...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 10:50 AM

My face hurts like HELL.

I've got to go in this morning (was there yesterday morning also) to have it looked at also.

Hi Cody,

I'm so sorry to hear that Cody.

Very concerned with your health. Hoping that you get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

As always you are in my thoughts and prayers

Hoping to chat soon.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 11:13 AM

My face hurts like HELL.

yuck - sorry cody - i was throwing up all night last weekend - but it was from drinking.

anyways hope you feel better.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
count your self lucky to have enough money to actually afford dental care. I sometimes see poor people with rotten teeth everywhere in the subway..
Doesn't Quebec Welfare take care of Dental?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 AM

OH. MY. TOOTH. HURTS. LIKE. CRAP.

I was told to expect "a little soreness for a couple of days."

It's the 4th day and I feel like someone has shot me in the freaking jaw.

My eye socket on the right side (the side that was worked on) is pounding like someone pressing their thumb into my eyeball repeatedly...my ear hurts like heck...my jaw feels broken in the hinge...

My tooth is throbbing: BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...

OWWWwwwww...

I just made a phone call to the dentist and of course, he's off today for the holiday.

But, he is calling in antibiotics and painkillers at the local pharmacy.

My tooth looks bad. My gums are all red and puffy and near the tooth itself the gums have turned dark blue/black. I think it's infected.

if you think its infected go get it checked by a dentist or swing by a hospital dentist. Infections in the teeth can kill you!

A couple years ago I was in so much pain from a cracked tooth I went to the hospital just to get a pain shoot. I ended up having a emergency extraction and spent the night because i as real close to blood poisoning.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 12:21 PM

Just got home. Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

My tooth is infected from the little cord thing that they wrap around the tooth to shrink the tissue in order to get a good impression. They wrap this little string or cord around the tooth that has been soaked in a solution that shrinks tissue. Then they remove it and do the impression of the tooth in order to make a good crown. Cash/Rob could tell you all about it if he was here.

Anyway, I got a reaction from the chemical in that process and it got infected, that's all.

He took some x-rays and everything looks good. But if it doesn't get better I've got to go see the endodontist next for a possible root canal.

Have a good one everyone.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Just got home. Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

My tooth is infected from the little cord thing that they wrap around the tooth to shrink the tissue in order to get a good impression. They wrap this little string or cord around the tooth that has been soaked in a solution that shrinks tissue. Then they remove it and do the impression of the tooth in order to make a good crown. Cash/Rob could tell you all about it if he was here.

Anyway, I got a reaction from the chemical in that process and it got infected, that's all.

He took some x-rays and everything looks good. But if it doesn't get better I've got to go see the endodontist next for a possible root canal.

Have a good one everyone.
Hi Cody,

Happy to hear that you are being properly treated. Each individual reacts.

So sorry Cody.

Hopping to chat very soon.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 05:26 PM

To say that removing amalgam fillings is a scam by dentists I don't think is proven. Doing a google search the first site I jumped onto mentioned that Sweden and Denmark banned amalgam use, Germany banned it in infants, and both American and Canadien research shows at least a significant "mercury toxicity" associated with the fillings. The page was dated back to the late 90s, thus proof one way or the other may be readily available.

I guess the point is why put something so potentially toxic into your body when alternatives which are more natural and attractive are available.

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 07:25 PM

It's amazing how widely these experiences vary. I just had a crown put on my furthest back molar on my lower left jaw, and it was no problem at all. The drilling took a long time, but I had the novocain shot, and most of the drilling for a crown is around the outside of the tooth, not into the center of it, so it's not really too intense. The worst effect I had was that my jaw was sore for a couple days from having to keep it open for an extended period of time. It was a porcelain crown and cost $775 for the whole procedure.

I also had all of my wisdom teeth taken out a few years back. One of them was far enough back in the jaw that it had a little flap of gum resting on top of it. Food would get caught under the gum and rot, causing a rather huge cavity to form in the tooth (not to mention some nasty bad breath). My dentist said that it was the only one that really needed to come out right away, but the other three would almost certainly need to come out eventually, so we decided to just do them all in one session and get it over with.

The oral surgeon gave me local anaesthetic and some nitrous oxide. I was totally conscious, but relaxed, through the whole procedure, and I didn't feel a damn thing the whole time. The guy was really good, too, so when he pulled a tooth out, all I felt was him putting hard pressure down on the tooth adjacent to it. Three of the four had already erupted, so there was only one that he really had to go digging around for. A couple days recovery, didn't even have to pick up the prescription for the painkillers he gave me. Guess I've just been lucky (so far, knock on wood, stroke rabbit's foot, sacrifice goat, etc.) I do have a buttload of fillings I'll probably have to eventually get crowns for though.

Atomic Rooster
Jan 18, 2006, 08:19 PM

My face hurts like HELL.

Hi Cody,

I am praying for your face Cody. Lord knows it needs it.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape
To say that removing amalgam fillings is a scam by dentists I don't think is proven. Doing a google search the first site I jumped onto mentioned that Sweden and Denmark banned amalgam use, Germany banned it in infants, and both American and Canadien research shows at least a significant "mercury toxicity" associated with the fillings. The page was dated back to the late 90s, thus proof one way or the other may be readily available.
There are many dentists that simply won't do them. The insurance companies require that the offer them (they are cheaper, so the insurance companies prefer them), and often will only pay for an composite or better if the patient signs a form saying they are declining the amalgam.

Of course, you have to allow for the fact that some of it may be motivated by the higher fees the dentist can charge.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 09:10 PM

yes, we pay for the difference between the amalgam fillings and the ceramics. It adds up, so we do it a quadrant at a time.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 10:22 AM

I pray that this finds you much better to today Cody.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 11:10 AM

Hi WDLove:

I am better...thank you very much!

I'm starting to feel a lot better and not regret the dental work. Yesterday they thought that I might need a root canal, but today I think that I'm going to be fine. All of the people who thought good thoughts for me...thank you!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 11:14 AM

You are very welcome Cody. Happy to hear your news.

Will look forward to a chat and tell you some good news.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 11:33 AM

Except for the fact that a root canal cost a fortune, it might be the best solution if you have insurance. It is not as painful as it used to be a while back.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 12:47 PM

may last root canal cost me $200.00

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
may last root canal cost me $200.00
That us about what I paid at Harvard Dental school.

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 09:07 PM

Stolen from the "evils of toothpaste" thread. It seemed appropriate.

rparke1
Banned
Jan 23, 2006, 09:29 PM

THATS AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules