Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto '06 --> Rebuilding Thumbnail Caches...

iPhoto '06 --> Rebuilding Thumbnail Caches...
asodamiac
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 06:54 PM

How often does iPhoto do this? I just upgraded to iPhoto '06 yesterday and I have since "rebuilt" my thumbnail cache twice (given the first time seems reasonable). Today is only the second day of using iPhoto '06, but the moment I opened it up (the first time today), it is rebuilding the cache. Again, I hope it does not do this every single day! It takes quite a while... It also seems to crash a lot more than before. I'll be opening and viewing files and it will just close on its own, and I will get an error message. Hmm..

BUT, on the other hand, the increase in speed is just AWESOME! I'm so pleased with the speed . iWeb is just amazing too. I don't even have a .mac account but I've been "designing" my webpage all of yesterday
( Last edited by asodamiac; Jan 18, 2006 at 07:21 PM. )
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 01:14 PM

Mine did it twice on the same day when I installed a week ago, but not since.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks nbnz! Do you have problems with iPhoto crashing randomly? I double click an image to view full size, close, and do this many times through and whenever I do, iPhoto just shuts down and I get an error message. It's starting to get a bit annoying.
Dell 2408WFP

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 05:18 PM

Nope, I've had no problems with that. I upgraded from '04 to '06 and the new version rocks.
Sorry, wouldn't know what to do with that problem, maybe try the Apple support forums?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 05:25 PM

asodamiac, I've had the same thing happen two or three times over using iPhoto '06 for maybe an hour. Zooming in on an image during an edit caused the simple crash. Annoying, but as long as it doesn't happen too often, it's almost still better than the sludge of iPhoto '04 and even '05...(This crash happens on a 1Ghz Powerbook, 768mb ram, running 10.4.4)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 07:47 PM

Does anyone find the scrolling less responsive now? I unchecked the 'use animated scrolling option', but not sure it made any difference. It appears like the problem is how it sharpens the images when you scroll to them. I'm not sure, but it was better in iPhoto 5 I think.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 08:17 PM

happened to me first 2 times (having to rebuild the thumbnail cache); not again (so far).

fullscreen viewing is "cool", but less useful than editing a picture in the app window (since the top & bottom bars vanish).

doesn't seem much faster to me (yet), but will explore...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
fullscreen viewing is "cool", but less useful than editing a picture in the app window (since the top & bottom bars vanish).
When you're in full screen mode, if you move your mouse all the way to the top or bottom of the screen, the thumbnails/editing controls will slide in from the edge of the screen. You can do all the editing you can normally do when in the normal window mode.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 05:24 PM

You can also, in full screen mode, have the top and/or bottom bars shown permanently. Just go up to the top of the screen and select the appropriate option(s) from the "View" menu.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by crouchingtiger
You can also, in full screen mode, have the top and/or bottom bars shown permanently. Just go up to the top of the screen and select the appropriate option(s) from the "View" menu.

oops! should explore more before i complain...

thanx! am starting to get into "6"...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
happened to me first 2 times (having to rebuild the thumbnail cache); not again (so far).

doesn't seem much faster to me (yet), but will explore...
not faster?! yikes! its ultra fast compared to the '05 version!

while i'm still not pleased with iphoto '06 crashing, the speed definitely makes up for it. hopefully apple takes note of this and releases an update soon!
Dell 2408WFP

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
not faster?! yikes! its ultra fast compared to the '05 version!

while i'm still not pleased with iphoto '06 crashing, the speed definitely makes up for it. hopefully apple takes note of this and releases an update soon!

it IS faster, has a few nice new features.hasn't crashed on me once (fingers crossed).

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 11:26 AM

Great tip on keeping the HUD up, thanks.
My library has 9,800 images, and the speed improvement is incredible. The fewer images you have, the lesser the speed improvement will seem.

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 06:53 PM

Anyone has an idea how to rebuild the thumbnail cache without waiting for iPhoto to decide to do it ?

EDIT: Never mind, just figured out. Press and hold Command and Option while starting iPhoto.
Nice to be able to understand a bit of Dutch :-)

http://www.macosx.nl/?p=showarticle&art_id=2215
( Last edited by Stelex; Mar 14, 2006 at 07:00 PM. )

finchna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
Thanks nbnz! Do you have problems with iPhoto crashing randomly? I double click an image to view full size, close, and do this many times through and whenever I do, iPhoto just shuts down and I get an error message. It's starting to get a bit annoying.
When I double-click on a thumb nothing happens--I get the spinning beachball, then the app stops responding and I have to force quit. Clicking the full-screen icon works fine but this double-clicking problem is a real pain! Running 10.4.4 on a PB 1.67. Anyone know what's going on?

Forum Links
Forum Rules