Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Microsoft training options (need to get a cert FAST)

Microsoft training options (need to get a cert FAST)
memory-minus
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 07:37 AM

Times they are a-changin'.

At work I currently support about 125 Macs. Due to the Intel switch, many of my users have expressed interest in getting one of these new Macs and either BootCamp or Parallels to run those one or two apps they do without because they are Windows-only. For various reasons, mostly to keep myself competitive professionally, I need to get an MCP as quickly as possible. I have Apple certifications which are required of my position.

I have a decent PC at home running Windows which I really only boot up to play games on, but I am able to install and maintain Windows on it reasonably well. I took a practice test that one of the PC guys at work sent me and scored 48% (70% was passing).

I am considering purchasing this $349 Microsoft e-learning course which claims it only takes 12 hours to complete. With diligence I could take this course and have my cert in a week.

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...rPriceId=50701

Does anyone have any suggestions for training for my MCP? Thanks in advance!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2006, 09:19 AM

What practice test did you take? Is it on-line? If so, can you let me know the site so I can take the test and see where I stand on the PC side of things? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 09:30 AM

Sure, this one:

http://www.jrksoftware.com/70-270.html

I took the 30 question demo.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jun 27, 2006, 07:54 PM

I would definately recommend the Examcram series of books. More hten just a book with the answers, these books will take you thorugh each section of the test and explain the "how's" of working windows. When I did my MCSE back in 2001 these were the only books I used.

Check out Oreilly publisher's safari online library. For 20 bucks a month you can read online any of the books they publish and their library is huge. the catch is you can only "check out" 10 books at a time, and you must keep books you check out for at least 30 days on your bookshelf. Stil lto be able to read 10 books a month for only $20 bucks is a great value.

http://safari.oreilly.com

With how quickly technical books go obsolete, this has saved me a fortune in the past couple of years, and I don't have to store a bunch of books I never read anymore.

And yes, they publish the examcram series.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BkueKanoodle
Yeah, wow, this is a great resource in general. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules