Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading G4 RAM, where is a good place to buy?

Upgrading G4 RAM, where is a good place to buy?
kenazo
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2002, 06:02 PM

I'm looking to buy two 256mb sticks for a G4 933. Usually I've bought ram from Crucial but they are out of stock right now. Any other suggestions?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2002, 06:07 PM

<a href="http://www.18004memory.com/" target="_blank">Coast to Coast</a> is advertising a 512kb DIMM for $67.75. Why two 256?

kenazo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2002, 06:25 PM

Actually I need to upgrade two machines so that's why two modules. How is the quality of the ram from Coast to Coast? Do you know who makes it? Also, where is the deal for the 512mb ram, I looked but I didn't see it, that sounds incredibly cheap!

Thanks!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2002, 06:34 PM

Here's what Coast to Coast has to say about their RAM:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Coast to Coast Memory responds to the Apple firmware RAM dilemma
�The Apple 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 firmware updates incorporate a number of fixes that dramatically improve system stability and performance�, per Apple. The new firmware updates also drastically changed the computers hardware specifications. As a result, many Apple users have found that the RAM they purchased no longer works. Coast to Coast Memory is currently stocking memory that is fully JDEC MO-161-D compliant for firmware revisions 4.1.7 & 4.1.8. For customers who have memory purchased from us that no longer functions after updating the Apple firmware, contact our technical department @ 1-800-4MEMORY for further details. All of our current memory upgrade options are fully JDEC MO-161-D compliant.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Here is a link to "All Mac Memory": <a href="http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9" target="_blank">http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9</a>
The 512's are on page 4 of the list.
I have not used this company, but I'm about to place an order.

Dr. Dennis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2002, 06:43 PM

I just bought some RAM (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) for my TiPB 800 from 18004memory (Coast to Coast Memory). Fast shipment and the RAM works fine. I've only bought from them that one time, but everything went well and I'd order from them again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2002, 04:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kenazo:
<strong>I'm looking to buy two 256mb sticks for a G4 933. Usually I've bought ram from Crucial but they are out of stock right now. Any other suggestions?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Crucial is very expensive since they rigorously test their parts. You don't need to go to such expense. On the other hand, while Coast to Coast is very cheap (sometimes the cheapest), I've heard of issues with their quality control. You're still covered at least by a lifetime warranty, but I don't buy from them. I buy from Data Memory Systems - <a href="http://www.datamem.com/" target="_blank">DMS</a> Totally unsolicited endorsement, I just like their components and service.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2002, 01:25 PM

I only buy name brand.
Currently all my ram chips are Infineon (512MB sticks are about $180 each right now, and have very conservative timings, but they sure work just fine), Kensington, or Crucial.

None of those are cheap, but then, neither is a mac
Also, I buy for reliability, not cheap stuff, and as a result, I have never had a ram chip fail.

my 3 cents
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Big_Lou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2002, 11:47 PM

I, on the other hand, am willing to roll the dice. I have bought about 10 sticks of RAM from OEMPCWORLD.com. I have found them to be one of the cheapest suppliers and their service is excellent. I bought a iBook and ordered RAM before it arrived. As it turns out the iBook was DOA and I got a PB instead. Sending back the old RAM for a replacement couldn't have been easier. If you're willing to not be hung up on name brand stuff, check these guys out.
It is of great fortune to people in power, that people don't think.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2002, 12:20 AM

<a href="http://www.ramseeker.com" target="_blank">www.ramseeker.com</a>

lits a lot of prices for every mac computer and allows you to read reviews that people right.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Tominator
Jun 25, 2002, 01:18 AM

Buy Crucial and only Crucial.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2002, 11:19 AM

I'll second the recommendation for DMS <a href="http://www.datamem.com/macdimm.asp" target="_blank">memory</a> I've been ordering from them for years. They too were right on top of the firmware issue. I've never had a stick of ram fail and I've been ordering from DMS since 1997.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2002, 07:28 PM

In the UK at least I will only use Crucial...I have bought loads of RAM from them and have never had any problems...Obviously I don't know about them in the States, although I have only heard good reports...

last week I went on the UK Crucial website and ordered two 256MB PC-100 sticks after 5pm...they were with me at 7.30am the next day, they didn't even charge delivery!

I won't use anyone else...

Peace,

Marc

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2002, 07:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kenazo:
<strong>I'm looking to buy two 256mb sticks for a G4 933. Usually I've bought ram from Crucial but they are out of stock right now. Any other suggestions?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I just bought a 512Mg pc133 SDRAM DIMM for my G4 466 "digital audio" for $89.00 from OEMPCWORLD.COM. I was pleased with their site, the low shipping rates, and quick delivery by priority mail.

FYI.
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

Dgysy
Jun 25, 2002, 08:50 PM

I upgraded my G4 with memory from ramjet.com.

No problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules