Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Dreamweaver cannot connect to MySQL Database

Dreamweaver cannot connect to MySQL Database
Avenir
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 08:40 PM

Please forward me if this has been asked before, but a search did not help me.

I have a basic php and mysql knowledge and am trying to setup a searchable members database for an organization. I was able to do this in a previous version of Dreamweaver on a friend's computer, but now in CS3 on my own, I am unable to do so. When I attempt to connect to my database server, I get the following error:

"Testing server specified for this site does not map to..." There's more text, but I cannot get the error to reproduce itself right now, or rather, it now only says "Unidentified error occured."

From digging around the web, it seems it's with my testing server, which has always worked fine for testing php pages until now. It "tests" perfectly fine and I'm able to use it to test php files. In addition, I'm able to connect to my database via phpmyadmin as well as through Cocoa MySQL, that I use to modify the database.

Key notes: my database is served on a database server we setup, db.organization.org while the site is, as expected, hosted on Organization.org I cannot enter db.organization.org into the testing server field, as it does not work (that I can tell). Old dreamweaver didn't seem to care that they were different sites.

The crazy thing is, this worked before. In face, I still have the recordset (I copied the site files over to the new computer) and the database added, but it now says there are no tables and I cannot connect to the DB in order to create a new recordset. I'm really lost as to what changed, and I'm hoping someone on here can help or at least point me in the right direction.

Thank you for any help in advance.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

MickT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 09:18 AM

Hi Avenir

Sorry not to be able to help - but I am having the same problem. There seems to be an issue between DW CS3 and the Mac. What's crazy-making is that it did work once, now I just get the Unidentified Error.

If you find a solution, please post it!

Thanks
Mick

Mike_Ch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 12:03 AM

Hi,

I've encountered this problem many times. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact solution, but I do remember that I had to go into Dreamweaver's db connection configuration and make sure that the db connection info was correctly pointing to the testing server. I believe this is what you want to do (though it's been a while, so I may be mistaken):
1) in the site window of dreamweaver, choose the dropdown item that allows you to Edit the site configuration
2) click on your site and choose edit
3) for server technology you'd want php/mysql
4) I edit locally, then upload to server... and point to the path of the web files
...this is where I get a little odd, but it works...
5) I set testing server to be local/network, and I tell it to copy the files to the EXACT same folder location as my web files (as specified in step 4)
6) then I set the URL for the testing site (which points into the path that was set in steps 5 ...I think this step is key! This way the dreamweaver program can locate the testing files and organize some special coding file (maybe a hidden file)

It just might help you solve the problem Good luck!

-Mike

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2007, 12:22 AM

I would suggest installing the MySQL client on your machine (if you haven't done so already), and try connecting to your test server by doing the following in your terminal:

mysql -h yourhost -u yourusername -p

This will give you verbose output if there are connection failures. If you cannot connect to MySQL this way, you are not going to be able to connect via Dreamweaver. The problem is with the privileges specified on the server. There will need to be a user you can use to connect with that accepts connections from your host/IP, and that has the privileges necessary to do what you wish via MySQL.

Are you connect to your database via a copy of phpMyAdmin installed on your machine, or on the server? Is CocoaMySQL setup to use the same user/pass and connection info? If it is using the same connection info and is working there, perhaps Dreamweaver is either a badly behaving client, or does not work with the MySQL server version installed on your server? What server version of MySQL is required by DW? What is the server running?

Forum Links
Forum Rules