Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need serious opinions on this 733 performance issue

Need serious opinions on this 733 performance issue
Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2002, 10:01 PM

I own a 733. Very happy with my machine, until a friend o' mine came home with his 450 G4, retail PC GeForce 2 MX 400, flashed.
He beat me in every game test we did, RTCW, Quake 3, etc.
Theoretically I should of kicked his ass in every test since i'm faster G4, faster ram and bus, 4X AGP and even i had 128 more megs of ram.
So that droped me to
a) his geforce is very superior to my OEM, SDRAM, GeForce2 MX
b) I have something inside my mac that's not doing it's job properly

I tried the hardware test cd that came with the powermac and showed no problems.
I'm thinking of buying techtool or one of those to do the tests, but i'm OS X only user (no classic in my hd), so i'm kindda reluctant to buy OS 9 software ...

are there any good hardware diagnosis tools for X ?
is there a way in X to do Mips/Flops tests ?

any opinions welcome
thanx

Sarc[/LIST]
[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Sarc ]
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

audiffred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 10:14 PM

Sarc,

To the best of my knowledge, the Apple machines use the Gforce2 MX 200. Your friend has the 400 model that has a higher memory bandwidth. The performance advantage will start to appear at ~800x600 in 32 bit color. I suggest lowering the resolution and color depth of both if you would like to compare CPU's.

FYI I have the 733 also and a 900 Athlon with the exact same GForce2 MX in both. The Castle wolfenstein demo ran about 10-30% faster on the mac with the same settings.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 11:30 PM

I hardily agree. Processing power doesn't matter if your video card is limited. It sounds like your video card is limiting the true potential of the G4 733.

Check out the models of the video card.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
<STRONG>I own a 733. Very happy with my machine, until a friend o' mine came home with his 450 G4, retail PC GeForce 2 MX 400, flashed.
He beat me in every game test we did, RTCW, Quake 3, etc.
Theoretically I should of kicked his ass in every test since i'm faster G4, faster ram and bus, 4X AGP and even i had 128 more megs of ram.
So that droped me to
a) his geforce is very superior to my OEM, SDRAM, GeForce2 MX
b) I have something inside my mac that's not doing it's job properly

I tried the hardware test cd that came with the powermac and showed no problems.
I'm thinking of buying techtool or one of those to do the tests, but i'm OS X only user (no classic in my hd), so i'm kindda reluctant to buy OS 9 software ...

are there any good hardware diagnosis tools for X ?
is there a way in X to do Mips/Flops tests ?

any opinions welcome
thanx

Sarc[/LIST]
[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Sarc ]</STRONG>
Sarc, you're down to only two options:

A) buy a wicked fast dual 1 GHz powermac so you can "kick his ass in every test" and show him that "your faster G4".

B) Invest in a penis pump enlargement system, and use it three times daily until you've lengthened by a few inches.

I strongly recommend B, since it's cheaper and gets at the root of your problems. But whatever you do, remember that size only matters when it comes to sex.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>

A) buy a wicked fast dual 1 GHz powermac so you can "kick his ass in every test" and show him that "your faster G4".

B) Invest in a penis pump enlargement system, and use it three times daily until you've lengthened by a few inches.

I strongly recommend B, since it's cheaper and gets at the root of your problems. But whatever you do, remember that size only matters when it comes to sex.</STRONG>
I guess you missed the bit where he asked for *serious* opinions? heheh
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 01:38 AM

About doing GFLOP/s tests, goto the AppleSeed home page, not sure what it is off hand, and download the fractal app. After it draws the fractal is reports the GFLOP/s. You should get somewhere around 3 GFLOP/s and he should get about 1.5.

Also I think it was the better memory in his MX 400 that gave him the edge.
-- SBS --

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2002, 12:48 PM

Apart from OverClockedHomosapien's, tahnks everyone for the advice, I guess i'll get him to swap GF2MX so we can really see then if we revert the situation.

Thx again
Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>

I strongly recommend B, since it's cheaper and gets at the root of your problems. But whatever you do, remember that size only matters when it comes to sex.</STRONG>
Option B all the way.

*Whips out penis pump*

Tominator
Apr 12, 2002, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by audiffred:
<STRONG>Sarc,

To the best of my knowledge, the Apple machines use the Gforce2 MX 200. Your friend has the 400 model that has a higher memory bandwidth. The performance advantage will start to appear at ~800x600 in 32 bit color. I suggest lowering the resolution and color depth of both if you would like to compare CPU's.

FYI I have the 733 also and a 900 Athlon with the exact same GForce2 MX in both. The Castle wolfenstein demo ran about 10-30% faster on the mac with the same settings.</STRONG>
Just a quick correction, Apple used the original GF2 MX, not the 200 or 400. The 200 was not Mac compatible, and be thankful for that; as it was slowly clocked, used SDRAM, and only had a 64-bit path to the memory. A very, very slow.

nana2
Senior User
Apr 12, 2002, 03:55 AM

The original GayFarce2MX is a slug. 128bit bus to slothy SDRAM. The MX200 was even worse. MX400 is pretty much even with the original gf2MX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules