Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung ad pokes Apple's Aussie map woes

Samsung ad pokes Apple's Aussie map woes
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 12, 2012, 10:26 AM

Samsung has taken aim at Apple's most recent maps app mishap, poking fun at the recent bulletin issued by police in Victoria, Australia, warning people away from relying solely on the Maps app in iOS 6 when navigating. A new ad installation on display on George Street in Sydney has a lost-looking four-wheel drive and camping equipment parked on a sidewalk, as well as a sign saying "Oops." The ad then goes on to tout the mapping abilities of Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III smartphone, which relies on Google Maps.

The iOS Maps fiasco, which has seen some customers stranded, others misdirected, and many more just confused, proved a rare misstep for the iDevice maker this year, an embarrassment in a year otherwise marked by continuing strong sales and high demand for iOS devices. Apple has, since the release of iOS 6, taken steps to improve its maps app and restructure its staff, but the recent announcement by Victoria police shone a spotlight on just how far Apple has to go in some areas. [images via CNet]

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

Of course we know that Australians have a very strange definition of humour even when it results in the suicide of british nurses.

djbeta
Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 AM

True.. the maps fiasco sucked.. but still,
I truly hope Samsung gets theirs for being such jerks.
I personally LOVE apple's maps.. the 3d stuff is extremely
awesome and BETTER than Google Maps in my opinion!

Hey Samsung... Got Audiobus? No, I don't think so. You'd need 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's and $1000 worth of audio equipment to achieve what you can do with this 1 iPhone / iPad app for $9.99.
check it out... tell me if there is something even remotely close on Android:

Audiobus App -- A revolution in Mobile Audio (only for iOS)

Take That Samsung & Android !

Someone please make a commercial about that.

Actually.. getting the 3 Galaxy S III's couldn't even achieve it because there are very few, if any, awesome music apps available for Android. But for some reason there are tons for iOS. I wonder why.

Long Time Lurker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 11:07 AM

Stupid move, Samsung, given Google maps aren't perfect, either. Also from Australia: Police warn of safety concerns from Google Maps

Frankly, I'd love to know the source for these mapping errors. It wouldn't surprise me if the errors are actually coming from government or other public sources. I see these sorts of issues at work -- data gets stale and no one thinks that it needs to be updated, whether using or publishing it.

Bobfozz
Dec 12, 2012, 11:29 AM

What's that old story about people who live in glass houses should not throw stones?

This shows, once again, how stupid these people are! what if something like this happens in the future to Samsung. Then, not so smug eh?

Apple doesn't poke this kind of fun at people when "something" goes wonky. The Mac vs Pc was not only aimed heavily at hardware manufacturers but had a little humor and not at the customer's expense. Does Samsung thing this will convert people?

I Wonder Why
Dec 12, 2012, 11:48 AM

What is interesting is that even a snarky site like the The Register is saying that it's not entirely Apple's fault, given the Australian Gazetteer listings. See:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/10/apple_maps_ghost_mildura/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bobfozz View Post
What's that old story about people who live in glass houses should not throw stones?

This shows, once again, how stupid these people are! what if something like this happens in the future to Samsung. Then, not so smug eh?
IT JUST DID.

See the post above yours.

global.philosopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 12:08 PM

Australian police have also issued a warning against relying on Google maps too. Though google maps is still better than Apple maps in reality they are both have errors in them.....it is the nature of the beast.

global.philosopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 12:11 PM

It takes a special company like Samsung to first copy your partner, then insult them whilst promoting another partners technology (Google maps) all the while having no such service of their own. They may be just trying to boost the sale of their plastic handsets or they may be trying to brown nose Google but at the end of the day they are just sad sad people.

psdenno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2012, 12:26 PM

As long as there have been maps, there have been errors on them. In fact, it's how a map maker can tell if other map makers are stealing his/her work. Most maps intentionally add a short road, river bend, lake, or other geographic feature just to be able to see who may be copying their maps for their own gain. Another cartographic secret revealed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules