Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > War Walking on Waikiki

War Walking on Waikiki
Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2002, 04:39 AM

Hey all from Oahu I'm here on a one week break (Oahu, Maui, & the big island), and brought my laptop thinking i might stumble on someone's network for the heck of it...after walking a block in all directions from my Hotel (Aston Pacific Monarch), I managed to locate 'bout 10 different nodes and those with unchanged SSIDs are the open ones I can join...the only place where I can seem to get a stable signal though, is near a statute, only if I'm facing it somehow...not sure if it's by coincidence or the signal is from that direction doesn't seem so 'cuz wondering around a bit looses the signal...oh well, I have internet for free, I'm happy...and it seems to be from a slow DSL...hehe only wish if everyone did some war chalking! but yeah, to return the favor, anyone around my house with a laptop can use the open node for free, hehe, so I don't feel like I'm stealing anyone's internet...anyone else got personal experiences to share? -_-
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

anly
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 12:34 PM

Sounds nice... I've lived on Oahu for 5 years but haven't had the chance to get free web surfing....cause back in '97, nobody knew what Wi-Fi was... Enjoy the beaches of North Shore if you get a chance!!

peace Brada....
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules