Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Slippery Powerbook

Slippery Powerbook
Spike12345
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 10:49 AM

Does this annoy anyone? I have a 12" Powerbook and I love it ---- except one thing. The metalic silver is just plain slippery. Looks great but so very smooth that is sometimes starts to slip off my lap --- and sometimes it's a little difficult to hold on to. I've compared it to the ibook (plastic) and there is a big difference. The plastic is easier to hold on to. Does anyone have the same feelings? I was wondering if there is a plastic film that can be put on the bottom to help the situation. (Potantial problems are the sticky stuff may be hard to remove after it has been subjected to the battery heat.) I've seen 'skins' that you can put on the lid but not the bottom. Any ideas? thanks

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

I'm, not really sure if it is wise to cover the bottom case because that may impede venting and act as an insulator. It depends what material you use and how much of the bottom you cover.

But I'd try contact paper. It's easy to apply and remove and you can find it any color or see-through. It should provide the needed friction, but you'll need to experiment because I haven't tried it. It's not expensive.

let's see what other people think?

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 6, 2005, 06:24 PM

Stay off the .XXX sites and the powerbook will retain its grip.... Kidding I just had to do it.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 08:32 PM

not only is it salippery on your lap[ but in your hands when your even somewhat sweaty. I would definutky not put anything under though except mabey a lap desk and you should be ok with not overheating

robisconfusedd
Oct 6, 2005, 08:39 PM

i kinda like the fact that it slips and slides around like a wild monkey.. but thats me..

i say go for putting stuff on teh bottom of it, just dont cover the whole bottom, lap desk is a great idea too.. besides all the heat isnt good for your reproductive system, if you care i mean..

Forum Links
Forum Rules