Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ABC's V

ABC's V (Page 2)
Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 15, 2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Morena Baccarin looking even hotter with short hair? I might just have to watch it!
Fixenated™.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
So far, the show is looking to be a variation of Roddenberry's "Earth: Final Conflict".
That was my feeling exactly, and I imagined the pitch to the network being something along the lines of: “Earth: Final Conflict — Only This Time, the Evil Manipulative Aliens Are Hot™”. If E:FC wasn’t so niche, that would actually make for a good ad-slogan too…

I probably shouldn’t say this on a public forum, but I actually really liked the first four seasons of E:FC. I really don’t think they were as bad as critical consensus holds they were. The major difference between the two — said hotness of Visitors aside — is that E:FC didn’t have such pacing issues. V seems a bit like a teenage boy in that respect: a little too eager to get to “the good stuff”.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2009, 03:15 PM

I thought it was season 5 of Earth: Final Conflict that's generally agreed to be godawful. I wonder if V will ever suddenly decide it's about vampires.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2009, 10:39 AM

Wasn't E:FC just a variation of the first V?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 01:56 AM

Ah the third episode of V was very nice, many threads being set up and generally good acting.. Anna as charming as ever
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2009, 09:23 AM

3rd episode better.

I liked the alpha memory thing, and those protestor things were done reasonably well, with one of them left a little ambiguous as to how it was accomplished.

I want to slap around that teen boy. It's in a different way, but he's as annoying as Wesley Crusher.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2009, 02:46 AM

Just watched the 3rd and 4th episode. Pretty intrigued. Definitely makes me want to watch the original series for comparison.

Laura Vandervoort in underwear...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 08:01 AM

Well, after the fourth episode, I'm pleased with the series. If they decide to finish the season, it meets my approval.

It's good television and certainly nice to see an attempt to revive V from the 80s.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post

Laura Vandervoort in underwear...
'Nuff said.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2009, 12:53 PM

So ABC gives us a handful of episodes and then decides to put the show on hiatus until March? Why does network TV always do stupid crap like this? The audience will likely lose interest or simply lose track of the show. Then if and when it does finally return the network will be complaining about bad ratings and then cancel it.

OAW

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2009, 05:54 PM

So no new episode till after the damn winter olympics? By then I won't care anymore and be watching Caprica instead.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So no new episode till after the damn winter olympics? By then I won't care anymore and be watching Caprica instead.
I so know what you mean! How is it humanly possible to watch more than one series on TV!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 10:31 PM

Every time I see the mother ship, I keep think I'd be pissed if I lived in a condo building underneath it. "Damn Vs blocking my sunlight!"

Oh and I still want to slap that damn kid around.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2009, 10:45 PM

I think they'd boost their ratings by several million viewers a week if they killed off that annoying kid.

Honestly, who in their right mind write him in the story, and then what idiot cast that guy in the role.

(Also, whats with sexy sci-fi FBI agents this season? Fringe, Flashforward, V? Heck, we even have White Collar as well (not sci-fi, but has some sexy FBI agents).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2009, 12:41 AM

Yes, the kid must go. No later than yesterday.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
(Also, whats with sexy sci-fi FBI agents this season? Fringe, Flashforward, V? Heck, we even have White Collar as well (not sci-fi, but has some sexy FBI agents).
Don't know, don't care
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 27, 2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I thought it was season 5 of Earth: Final Conflict that's generally agreed to be godawful. I wonder if V will ever suddenly decide it's about vampires.
I think consensus is that it declined pretty sharply as it exited season one, and season five just never happened. Personally, I liked Kincade, even if Boone was a more interesting character. Zo’or also became a bit melodramatically evil as it went on too, but still — it was generally quite good.

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Wasn't E:FC just a variation of the first V?
I’d never really thought of it like that… but if memory serves, didn’t Roddenberry think up E:FC in the ’70s? Still, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say the original V influenced E:FC; cross-polination/theft is pretty much an integral part of TV.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
So ABC gives us a handful of episodes and then decides to put the show on hiatus until March? Why does network TV always do stupid crap like this? The audience will likely lose interest or simply lose track of the show. Then if and when it does finally return the network will be complaining about bad ratings and then cancel it.
I think that accurately encapsulates it. The same thing pretty much killed Jericho too, and was almost enough to stop me watching the final half-season of Battlestar. I thought networks were meant to be run as businesses to, y’know, make money. I’m not sure how giving your customers the shaft helps with that, but hey.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Oh and I still want to slap that damn kid around.
Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I think they'd boost their ratings by several million viewers a week if they killed off that annoying kid.
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Yes, the kid must go. No later than yesterday.
Exactly. I just hope ABC are listening.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2009, 01:51 AM

Barf. This show is painful to watch. I don't see how you guys like it so much! TOTALLY predictable!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 02:06 AM

I've seen three episodes now. When are the aliens going to cure stupid? Seems like everyone is suffering from stupid.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2009, 05:58 AM

The original series scared me to death, I was 8 !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Cold Warrior
Nov 29, 2009, 12:11 PM

I watched all four eps last night and liked it enough to keep watching. But definitely stupid for the network to take a break until March. I don't find the kid overly annoying in the grand scheme of four eps back-to-back, but I expect he'll feel like overkill once I'm watching one ep a week.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2009, 12:17 PM

And then, when they put it back on in March, they'll stick it on a different day (probably a Friday) and complain about the ratings drop.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

Watched it tonite (a Tuesday) and I'd have to say this episode was pretty good. The writing's fairly tight, and the kid was kept to a minimum this week.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Watched it tonite (a Tuesday) and I'd have to say this episode was pretty good. The writing's fairly tight, and the kid was kept to a minimum this week.
Yeah, it was pretty good actually! The kid was indeed in a minimal role, which probably made more people pleased than just me and Eug.

I'm still conflicted: would it be worth it to do Monica Baccarin for five seconds just to be eaten alive afterwards or not.

It's a close call.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 01:00 PM

Looking forward to watching it in a bit.

Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 01:05 PM

Not that I wanted to watch this train wreck in the first place, but was anyone actually convinced to watch as opposed to driven away by the bright red V countdown during Lost?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Not that I wanted to watch this train wreck in the first place, but was anyone actually convinced to watch as opposed to driven away by the bright red V countdown during Lost?
Heheh. I don't have any interest in Lost whatsoever, so in my case, I have never seen that countdown.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 12:06 AM

I hate the fact that V lost 2 minutes due to lost. strike another point off of lost’s long list of strikes.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 02:57 PM

Tighter plot and I think the writers are trying what they can to write the kid out of the show... I was so pleased when Erica left him with his father, but I knew it was too good to be true that he was indefinitely out, so it wasn't surprising Supergirl came calling in tight jeans in the end.

Seeing her in tight jeans was worth the disappointment. Anna is also as beautiful as ever

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 03:48 PM

Watched the latest episodes. Why does nearly everyone on that show have an IQ of 60?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2010, 04:13 PM

I have every episode of this on my DVR but can't seem to bring myself to actually watch it. Everyone tells me it's bad.

So... what's the consensus? Should I bother?

I am short on time and very picky.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Apr 7, 2010, 04:35 PM

I'm sticking with it as the season pass on the Tivo is set, but if/when it gets cancelled, I won't cry about it.

I'd say skip it, ort888. Probably not worth your time.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I have every episode of this on my DVR but can't seem to bring myself to actually watch it. Everyone tells me it's bad.

So... what's the consensus? Should I bother?

I am short on time and very picky.
If you like adventure/fantasy it's ok. If you like drama and realism, well V isn't going to provide, but you knew that. It's not bad, but if you're very picky.. well then not much on TV that I can even recommend. Most is flawed or incredibly lame.

I think the V series is getting better and I'm looking forward to see the next episode.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 05:08 PM

I want to like this show. I really really do.
My problem is that it is cheesy but it is taking itself 100% serious. It is like watching Dr. Who with a straight face.
First the story moved waaay to fast and now after the long break there is no new info that we didn't see coming for a mile.

The special effects at times are horrible also. It looks like George Lucas directed it as EVERYTHING is one giant room painted green.

2 episodes ago I see this scene of the dude in a room that is all RED and BLUE yet half of his face and hair is glowing GREEN from the screen as are the other peoples. I would take a small real set that believable over a big stupid fake empty one any day.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 05:54 PM

I want to like this show. I really really do.
My problem is that it is cheesy but it is taking itself 100% serious. It is like watching Dr. Who with a straight face.
I'm with you there, but I'm sticking with this until the season end at least. Sometimes it does take itself rather seriously and I do blame Scott Peters (as per his atrociously boring and 'serious' series 4400)

But I want to like this show and damn it I am still optimistic that I will (just before ABC decides to cancel it of course)

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 04:20 PM

The Weyland-Yutani corporation is curious about the visitors, we suspect they share our integrity and compassion towards all humankind. Depicted is our intergovernmental liason Mr. Schlotkin.

“Building Better Worlds”

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2010, 12:12 AM

Do all of the actor playing major characters have to have an overbite? Anyone else notice this?

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 02:17 AM

I think in Anna's case it's actually an overlip. Lizard lips under there you know.

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2010, 07:11 AM

Unless they are all lizards, 'cause they all got it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Do all of the actor playing major characters have to have an overbite? Anyone else notice this?
With the reporter, I think it's not so much of an overbite as a complete lack of a chin. They went above and beyond to find an actor that actually looks like a weasel.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2010, 12:02 PM

The one plot point that has been irking me of late is the declaration that the passengers on the blown-up shuttle were already dead or even skeletons. What point is it to put that in the story, except to make it more palatable to a wuss audience?

Cuz it really doesn't make any sense. Why would the V put dead people on a shuttle they know is going to get shot down? Wouldn't it be more to their benefit to have live people shot down by the resistance?

I guess the only thing one might be to use to justify this is that if there were any survivors, they would be able to say the shuttle was a rescheduled one that sought out human passengers to go onto a ship heading to the middle of nowhere. That would look bad for the V, esp. if the reporter mentioned something about it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 03:03 PM

I cringe through most of the show and at this point it is ridiculous.

20 giant spaceships show up full of hot aliens that look just like us and want to hand out technology and medical services with tons of PR baby kissing moments so humans are sure to like them even more.

99.99% of humans just roll with it right away and never smell a rat.

1 Visitor gets hurt and Dianna goes drama queen "round em up and ship em out" overreaction and the humans just eat it up again.

The aliens deserve whatever it is they want as the humans would probably be stupid to notice anyway.
What do they want this round anyway? Not water I hope.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

20 giant spaceships show up full of hot aliens that look just like us and want to hand out technology and medical services with tons of PR baby kissing moments so humans are sure to like them even more.

99.99% of humans just roll with it right away and never smell a rat.

1 Visitor gets hurt and Dianna goes drama queen "round em up and ship em out" overreaction and the humans just eat it up again.
Sounds about right. People are stupid.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 04:13 AM

The show has a very light plot and is easy enough to follow. It's fast paced and reasonably interesting.

It no longer reminds me of the 4400, thank goodness. Seems Scott Peters has been put to the side and talented people (though no masters of the trade) have been put in his place.

I could watch Morena Baccarin all day. I watch V in HD just for added Anna enjoyment. (oh yes)

Koralatov
Senior User
May 20, 2010, 05:17 PM

So, uh, yeah. The season finalé sucked balls on all sorts of levels. I’m having PTSD-style flashbacks to the Priest’s cringe-inducing “Let V stand for Victory” speech…

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
So, uh, yeah. The season finalé sucked balls on all sorts of levels. I’m having PTSD-style flashbacks to the Priest’s cringe-inducing “Let V stand for Victory” speech…
Yeah, the finale jumped all over the place. I was rather unimpressed, and that cliched speech was annoying.

P.S. Was the é in jest? I can never tell these days. Maybe I can borrow it for my cliche?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 01:10 AM

I thought most of it (minus the always horrid bluescreen work) was pretty good. So far the best of the damn series for me which is very sad.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 04:48 AM

I thought most of it (minus the always horrid bluescreen work) was pretty good. So far the best of the damn series for me which is very sad.
Yeah I agree.. this was among the best shows this winter (though that is not saying much) and asides from that bratty kid I'd give it a B.

And the priest's speech may have been clichéd - as some have pointed out - but I feel anything justifies making V stand for 'victory' instead of 'visitors'. It was a very proper nod to the 80s series.

The silliness of calling every visitor a 'vee' may already be done, but I appreciate the effort of changing it. Just calling them 'visitors' sounds far more ominous IMO. It's such an innocent word

I'm looking forward to season dos.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2010, 05:15 AM

I hope you're willing to wait for it. I just read that the second season won't be starting until "mid-season" next year. Probably not until January. I wish the networks would realize that these egregiously long breaks don't really benefit the shows. And then they wonder why the ratings drop after such a long hiatus.
Nemo me impune lacesset

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I hope you're willing to wait for it. I just read that the second season won't be starting until "mid-season" next year. Probably not until January. I wish the networks would realize that these egregiously long breaks don't really benefit the shows. And then they wonder why the ratings drop after such a long hiatus.
Indeed.

OAW

ceAvision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2010, 12:03 PM

Might be an interesting Sci Fi series.

Forum Links
Forum Rules