Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File Display Arrangement in Finder-Where is it stored?

File Display Arrangement in Finder-Where is it stored?
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 08:18 AM

I have a USB memory stick that I constantly carry with me. It stores all my school work, along with a ton of other stuff. Since I try to keep the school part backed up and only keep fairly current stuff on the stick, I delete stuff pretty frequently. Now when I open the device with my MBP or my iMac, the root folder ALWAYS keeps an outdated arrangement of my folders, and some of the folders don't stay internally arranged the way I left them. I've noticed this arrangement problem with the Desktop folder on my MBP as well-unorganized files, and lots of blank spaces where thee used to be stuff I'd downloaded to the desktop and then moved.

Is there a particular spot that these arrangement files are stored? I'd think it'd have to be a hidden file in each folder, but I don't want to poke around and mess something up while playing around.

My actual desktop stays arranged as I want it, but I notice this issue when I open the folder in Finder. I'm running Leopard 10.5.2 (on both Macs) and I'm up to date on everything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2008, 01:15 PM

I'm guessing you probably mean .DS_Store files:
Explaining the Finder's view options and toolbar visibility
-HI-

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 09:55 PM

I was thinking that .DS_Store was involved in this. I have used this stick in my own Macs, as well as in some classmates' Vista laptops. The linked article (great reading-thanks!) says that sometimes the user may not have permissions needed to write or update the .DS_Store file, which would lead to having any view changes disappear the next time the folder is opened. I'll have to look into this and see what I can see. Now I have to find those instructions for viewing hidden files that start with a period.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 10:11 PM

Cheat sheet: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

(And defaults delete com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles to reverse it.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Now I have to find those instructions for viewing hidden files that start with a period.
You mean ls -la ?
Seriously, it's never too late to start using Terminal.

For example: *if* this was a permissions issue, then...
sudo find /Volumes/"name of your stick" -name '.DS_Store' -exec chmod -v 666 {} +
...would fix the whole deal in under 3 seconds.

[that's a Leopard-only "-exec command {} +" form. Tiger users will need to tweak.]
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Apr 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM. )
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules