Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15Al Airport Reception

15Al Airport Reception
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 06:16 PM

I have a 15 Al with 1.25 chip and have not been satisfied with airport range. I t seems like it only works about 20' from my airport base station (1021b).

I have a G3 imac and windows xp desktop machine that get significantly better range. When I called Apple they stated that desktops will get better reception than laptop computers. I waited to upgrade to Panther and there has been no improvement in airport reception. I am trying to determine if this is a problem that is unique to my machine or whether this is a problem with all new 15" G4 laptops.

What are other 15 Al users experiencing in terms of aiport range?

What should be considered satisfactory airport range?

winwintoo
Oct 27, 2003, 06:29 PM

I don't know if this sheds any light or adds to the confusion.

I have an iBook with an airport extreme card installed and I have an Airport Extreme base station in my apartment. Reception on my iBook has been spotty at best ever since I got the thing about 6 months ago. Then last week it quit working altogether for a couple of days. then it seemed to come back, but by then I had followed all sorts of (bad) advice and lost the settings for my network and couldn't get connected even though there seemed to be a signal.

Then I started to travel with my trusth iBook under my arm in case I wanted to play Snood while on the road.

In the Minneapolis airport departure lounge, I opened the iBook and found a live network that I could tap into (after I gave them my credit card number) that was great.

Then I arrived in Houston and turned on the iBook to show my brother something and there was a "FREE" wireless network that I could tap into. (I don't know whose network it is, but they haven't asked for any money so far)

SOOO!!!! It is not the computer or the airport card that caused my problems since both work fine when away from home.

It's definately something with the base station.

Take care, M

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 06:43 PM

It could be two things. You could have a faulty AirPort card...20 feet is definitely too short, you should get way better range than that.

Or, as stated, it could be yours Base Station. If it's an Apple Base Station, I'd suspect that...I don't like the range/stability of Apple's Base Stations...try a new AirPort card first if possible.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

image  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:51 PM

The base station range on the desktop machines is about 75ft.

So I do not believe it is the base station.

My thinking is thaat it is either the airport card in the laptop or something with the antenna in the my new 15 Al laptop or all 15" AL laptops?

How is the reception others are getting with this laptop vs. other computers they have used?

Forum Links
Forum Rules