Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Windows version of Library

Windows version of Library
enaslund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 03:14 PM

Yes, I've read the FAQ that discussed why you don't plan to make a product for Windows. I still wanted to throw my .02 in to say that I would really dig a Windows version of this app.

Maybe if other Windows folks see this thread and express their interest, you'd see there's a market here and reconsider.

And I suppose someone will reply to this and suggest that I buy a Mac.

carbonel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 09:16 PM

Delicious Library is going to remain a Mac-only product for now. Not because we hate Windows users or anything like that (we love you guys equally), but because we use a boatload of Apple-only technology that would take us forever to replicate on Windows. We would rather put our energy into making Delicious Library really awesome instead.

enaslund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 10:51 PM

Have you looked at all at available features in Windows Vista?

I'm admittedly ignorant of what goes into building desktop applications (for Macs or PCs), but I've gotten the impression there's more "hooks" in Vista for doing neat stuff that wasn't available in previous versions of the product.

I do recall that Microsoft made very different looking versions of Office for Windows and for Mac. The Mac version really took advantage of look and feel for that platform, but still delivered the functionality of its Windows counterpart.

From that standpoint, a Windows version of Library wouldn't have to look EXACTLY like the Mac version, but could take advantage of what it could and still deliver an attractive, solid application.

Just my thoughts.

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 06:52 AM

I mean, Mac OS X and Windows Vista are Turing equivalent, right? So, theoretically, we could make Delicious Library for Windows. Furthermore, for the sake of argument let's make two rather big assumptions: it would be pretty easy, and it would make a ton of money.

The fact remains we only have so many programmer hours and we'd rather dedicate them to the making the best Macintosh application we can. We do this because we love it. We're not necessarily trying to reach the most people or make the most money.

-Mike

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2006, 09:07 AM

I say keep it Mac-only

enaslund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your replies. I understand your position, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed by it.

I hope one day you'll change your minds. There's a lot of avid movie collectors that use Windows that would dig your product.

weldon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by cbono
There's a lot of avid movie collectors that use Windows that would dig your product.
Problem is, there is some better software for movie collectors on Windows. DL is interesting and pretty, but is slow for large collections (for now at least, we'll see when v2.0 comes out) and doesn't have many advanced features for serious collectors. Take DVD Profiler as an example. DVD Profiler already has a large installed base, an active community, and is cheaper than DL. Library can capture the enthusiast market but will never touch the "avid movie collectors" until they can boast some of the same features as DVD Profiler.

Forum Links
Forum Rules