Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook accessories - worth it?

iBook accessories - worth it?
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 11:58 PM

I've got a G4 iBook on the way and I'm looking at a few options for accessories. I'd love to hear any opinions or suggestions!

Keyboard protector - thin silicon type that sits over the keys to protect from junk getting under them. A buddy of mine has one for his G3 iBook, it felt different but he says you get used to it and it's definitely worth it.

Screen guard when closed - Soft cloth to put between the screen and keyboard to keep things nice and clean.

I saw the "Portector" a really long time ago but I haven't seen them on any stores? I wouldn't mind one to keep the ports on my iBook protected since this will be traveling a lot in a backpack, although it's not totally necessary; just trying to protect my investment.

Backpack! I think I'll be looking at Targus backpacks; I'll need a padded section for the iBook (12" btw) and enough room for books for 3 classes, ac adaptor and I wouldn't mind a pocket for my iPod. Pockets for a water bottle and such would be cool as well.

What else is everyone using with their iBooks?

Cucucachoo
Nov 12, 2005, 11:14 AM

I have no opinion about the Keyboard Protectoror the screen gaurd. To me, it would seem that apple took into consideration the chances of stuff getting into the keyboard and the keys are recessed so they dont touch the screen. But that is my opinion. They wouldn't have those on the market if there wasn't a need for them.

I like the idea of the Portector. Just havn't gotten one yet.

I used a backpack bag for the longest time untill my work gave me a great O'gio City Corp bag. But now that i have been using it for a while i kinda miss my backtop.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 04:32 PM

I have the keyboard protector and it's great. I does not obstruct your typing ability, it feels pretty nice while typing actually. It does protrude a bit, so when I close my ibook i take it off, but that's fine. But it is good protection, my keyboard is still in mint condition.

iMacfan
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 05:45 PM

I've found the Kensington Saddlebag to be excellent. It has a padded section for the 'book (though I use a zipped neoprene sleeve anyhow), a large extra section in the main bit, and a smaller zipped area with pockets which will fit pens, ipods etc...

David

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2005, 06:22 PM

The "screenguard" we use is the foam sheet that came with the iBook. It works great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2005, 01:55 AM

If you're going to be doing lots of work on your iBook at your desk at home I'd get an iCurve and USB keyboard and mouse. It makes a huge difference having the screen that might higher up for long sessions infront of the computer.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by nJm
If you're going to be doing lots of work on your iBook at your desk at home I'd get an iCurve and USB keyboard and mouse. It makes a huge difference having the screen that might higher up for long sessions infront of the computer.
I was thinking about getting the iCurve and using "Teleport" with my Mac Mini setup and have my iBook go through my Dell 2005FPW 20" display.

lwr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 11:14 PM

I use a piece of nice soft cotton cloth cut to size over my iBook keyboard. Works beautifully. I had the cloth lying around so decided to put it to some use after looking at the $16 (and change) it would have cost me to buy the leather protector.

When I bought my iBook, I bought the Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. They work wonderfully. The only thing I had to get use to was the mouse. It's a 1 button mouse instead of a 3 button mouse like I'm use to using. I converted completely to the IBook from a laptop PC.

Alice

HWA AFI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 04:41 PM

The only "accesossory" I use with my ibook is the iskin keyboard protector. I decided to pick one up for 20 bucks (steep price but worth it) at the apple store one day shortly after getting my ibook. Makes the keys feel kind of rubbery at first but after I got used to it I wouldn't want to go back. Every time I type without it, the keyboard is noticably louder and my fingers slip. And if you eat like a slob at the computer this thing is a live saver! Unlike a PC keyboard you can't pop the keys off, wash it, and put it back together.

Other than that I have a logitech MX700 mouse and share a a pair of sennheiser HD212s with my gaming PC

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDWeezer
I was thinking about getting the iCurve and using "Teleport" with my Mac Mini setup and have my iBook go through my Dell 2005FPW 20" display.
It seems you have the essentials...how about speakers? You'd be surprised what you can hook up for your "desktop" sessions for cheap. I have a $35 set-up for mine, they do perfectly fine for what I need them for. You seem to have the bases covered. Have fun with it!

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by jadekitty24
It seems you have the essentials...how about speakers? You'd be surprised what you can hook up for your "desktop" sessions for cheap. I have a $35 set-up for mine, they do perfectly fine for what I need them for. You seem to have the bases covered. Have fun with it!
haha right now I'm usiing the "Google Vase Speaker" which is perfect for music and Podcasts in my dorm room (without everyone else on my floor listening as well) but I'll be moving next semester and I've got my Logitech 5.1 setup ready to be hooked up (won't be true 5.1, but 5 speakers can get reallllly loud and crystal clear)

My current setup:

(If this image is too big or againt forums rules, let me know)

I'll definitely have a picture of the iBook in the mix (with my 3rd gen iPod, Shuffle and Nano, one big happy family) as soon as it shows

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 01:13 AM

I do believe, you are hooked up nice and sweet. 'Nuff said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules