Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Move RAM from IBM Thinkpad to iBook G4?

Move RAM from IBM Thinkpad to iBook G4?
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 02:02 AM

I just got a refurbished iBook G4 and absolutely love it. I bought it stock with 256mb RAM but would like to boost it for some Flash and XCode work. I've got a stick of 256mb in my IBM Thinkpad that I'm willing to swap and on Crucial is appears the spec is the same, 200 pin SODIMM DDR2 memory but the pricing on the iBook page is almost twice as expensive than on the IBM Thinkpad T30 page for crucia, as for the spec on the RAM it didn't seem like there was a difference.

Would it be a safe bet to test it out or should I just spent the $30 for a 256mb stick for my iBook (512 will be plenty for me)

Thanks

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 02:26 AM

I say try it. I've never had a bad stick of RAM **** up my computer. If it doesn't work, take it out, and you're fine!
Linkinus is king.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 03:25 AM

The IBM T30 had PC2100 DDR RAM, while the latest rev iBooks needs PC2700. So unless you bought better RAM than your T30 needed, it probably won't work.
I'd look at buying 512MB instead of 256MB... Tiger loves RAM, and it's less than twice the price.

JEBB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 09:23 AM

I understand that the more RAM the better with MacOSX and that with the Tiger vesion that's even truer. Watch at dealmac, ramseeker and other such deal sites for specials on the 1GB or 512MB sticks.

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The IBM T30 had PC2100 DDR RAM, while the latest rev iBooks needs PC2700. So unless you bought better RAM than your T30 needed, it probably won't work.
I'd look at buying 512MB instead of 256MB... Tiger loves RAM, and it's less than twice the price.
Since it's a refurb it's a 1.2ghz and not the latest rev, I believe crucial said it was PC2100 for this rev but I'll have to double check. I'll most likely end up buying some and leaving the 512 in in my Thinkpad, XP needs the RAM more than Tiger.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2005, 05:16 PM

If the added RAM is slower, it will slow down the whole system-but having more RAM will speed things up...

Anyway, RAM is RAM in this case. When we upgraded my wife's 800MHz G4 iBook, we put the replaced SODIMM in my (under-RAMed) Dell laptop and we were both happy.

Oh, and if you were looking at Apple's RAM prices, yes, they're usually WAY too high. I like Crucial and Kingston, their online memory configurators are great, and they guarantee any part that they say will work in your computer WILL work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules